1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit Puzzling from Jennings.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 11, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

im racking my brain but I haven't a freakin clue what this means? he was leaning against signing with us because of concerns?, shoot strait with him?...what the hell is he talking about?, wh didn't somewhat do a follow up question? i'm sure they did but man does that sound like a story to me..

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think it's the (relatively obvious) level of uncertainty about what kinds of players we wanted, and how we wanted them to behave, given the HUGE amount of turnover at the WR position this offseason. I mean, when you trade your best WR in Mike Wallace for so little (forget about cap savings for a moment), I think other FA's would at least ask questions about what the team is trying to do (I'm sure there were questions about what was going on behind the scenes).

Fin4Ever likes this.
  3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hmmm, so you think his concerns were with mgt?...maybe it has something to do with him being snubbed for mike wallace two years ago, I mean with his relationship with philbin, maybe Philbin told him he wanted him but Ireland was gonna do what Ireland does, so thats why now he needs to hear from mgt that he they were committed and on the same page with the coach.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    At least with Philbin (not because of his coaching abilities, but more how a player on his team should behave). That spat with Wallace was pretty public. Tannenbaum did a nice job convincing him this is a good place to be; not every GM (sorry "Executive VP of football ops") can do that.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hmm, nah I don't see that, he knew Philbin for a long time, he knows he's a christian man, i don't see why Jennings would take Tannenbaums word as the truth and overall philbin, doesn't make sense to me..

Im thinking that he wanted a explanation from mgt as to why they didn't sign his two years ago.

6. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Well who knows.. this is all speculation anyway.

Just saying I'm not surprised if a FA WR has questions about signing with a team that had a public spat with its #1 WR, let him go for cheap, and in general blew up almost the entire receiving corps. What exactly those concerns were we can't deduce from what's been published, but I do think what I said is at least plausible.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    maybe he had concerns with his on the field role, playing time, and well football is a business and I am sure he knows people try to sell you stupid **** in business. So, in reality he is just kind of saying don't try to sell me give me the truth.

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think that's usually the concern with FA's. However, w.r.t playing time, dj's link says this:

"Jennings, who has started 114 of 127 NFL games, played 85.6 percent of Minnesota’s offensive snaps last season. It would be surprising if he’s on the field nearly as much for Miami. ... “I'm not concerned about any of that,” Jennings said."

Of course, the "football is a business" part I think is always a concern.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so are you saying he went to MGT to get the truth because he didn't trust Philbin? {that doesn't make any sense} can you see where Im getting confused on his statements?

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    no I'm saying maybe it all sounded a little too good to be true and as a businessman he thought he should get some clarity.

11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    sure. Doesn't mean he's not really concerned with it, nor does it mean he isn't a little bit concerned he won't see the field all that much either.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what do you think Philbin told him that could of been ''too good to be true''?

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    playing time? role? his future here? I don't know. or then again maybe he just wanted assurances it was legit stuff philbin told him. Could be a lot of things. I'm not sure why you immediately look for the conflict?

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    A lack of fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL makes roster turnover essential to the business and getting ahead. NFL players statistical production is always compared to their salary. When an organization can't justify the cap number for a players present production, they're usually released or traded. Much in the same way Lawyers are, 'suits' NFL players are 'jersey's.' Unidentifiable and interchangeable.

Greg Jennings sounds like he's saying, he wants to be valued by more than just statistics. Jennings believes he has valuable intangibles to offer an organization beyond his production. The ability to mentor, lead, and bring quality character to a football team. He wanted to sign w/an organization who valued those intangibles, as a means to secure his future. And he was leaning against signing Miami because he perceived them to be interested in him as a 'jersey,' and therefore was not a preferred destination. Jennings talked to Tannenbaum, and Tannenbaum was able to convince him otherwise.

Anyone watch the NYJ Hard Knocks? There was a scene in which Tannenbaum was talking to NYJ owner Woody Johnson about Revis, during his holdout and negotiations. When the media asked about his Nike/Revis Island commercial, Tannenbaum spoke well of it and spoke well of Revis. Tannenbaum relayed to Johnson that Revis's mother had called him and thanked him for his positive words regarding her son. Tannenbaum went on to tell Woody, in the business of the NFL it's easy to forget that we're all just human beings. And his recognition of that fact mattered to Revis and his family/camp, despite it not changing the financial negotiating position.

Mike Tannenbaum, whatever you may think of him as a GM/VP, gets the human side of the business. It's a personality trait that someone like Ireland didn't understand. Remember the leadership council origin, where the players went to Philbin and Ireland to talk about the unspoken 3 strike rule? Jeff Ireland looked at them, in a manner that I can only describe as disgust. Like this was the stupidest thing he had ever heard and the players should know their role, shut their mouths, and do their jobs. Jeff Ireland never understood the human element to the game. No surprise he's had personality clashes/issues/problems all the time, which spilled over into the media. I suspect Joe Philbin might have a deficiency in that regard too. Which is why he worked harder to connect w/his players and be more involved after the Incognito/Martin/trainer bullying fiasco. Philbin does have an awareness that Ireland didn't.

Fin4Ever, Colmax, TiP54 and 1 other person like this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hmmm, maybe I'm missing something here but when someone says they were leaning against signing with us until?...I would call that a conflict to some degree no?

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ok, so when he talked to his former coach first you believe thats the impression he got from philbin? so he needed additionally confirmation that it wasn't the case.?

17. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    DJ, just read the whole piece. Here's how I took it - Jennings wanted to clarify something with MT specifically, himself. That bit about, everybody has angle, suggests to me that he might be saying he knew where he stood with Philbin etc but didn't know MT's angle, didn't know where he stood with him, and so he had something to straighten out with Tannenbaum himself. Once that was sorted, he was clear to sign with the Phins.

??

Fin4Ever and djphinfan like this.
  18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Yeah. Joe Philbin lacks the quality to personalize and build rapport, like a Rex Ryan. From his time here, Joe Philbin comes across as very direct. When he has something to say or is answering a question, the scope of the conversation is very specific. He's a Joe Friday, "Just the facts, ma'am" type of speaker/personality.

I can totally see him talking to Jennings, and getting right to the point. "We need a receiver. We have history, you'll mesh well with my locker room, and you fit the system. We're offering a contract of XYZ. Think about it and get back to us, thanks." And that being the end of it.

As where Tannenbaum probably called Jennings, and shot the **** to break the ice... Talked about each others family, current events in their life, and other relatable experiences. Maybe told a joke or two, then got to business. Tannenbaum explained his thought process of Jennings signing w/Miami and then asked Jennings about what he values, let Jennings explain his vision for his career. Tannenbaum read and reacted with positive reinforcement. Jennings now feeling comfortable and secure with the organization, signs w/Miami.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  19. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Sounds to me like we can thank Tannenbaum for Jennings being here. MT got the job done.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    thats a good point, however, there are conflicting ones above...but yours makes the most sense.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    like this, complete opposite.

22. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    he was maybe conflicted. Conflict in the same way I'm using, no. I read it in terms of how I approached when I left my old work for some place else. The new one said all the right things more money, better role, etc. But, I also wanted non contractual guarantees like: a chance to advance, be challenged, etc. I looked for some guarantees from others and still wasn't sure if I should leave. I read jennings the same way here.

23. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I could see this being a point of contention. Two years is not long to hold a bit of a grudge.

24. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think it might have something to do with Philbin but I'm just speculating. You don't see former Green Bay players and assistants wanting to come here during his tenure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so were basically all over the place as a board..lol..sure would like to know the truth..Guess its to much for our reporters to find out..