1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of questions about the Big Bang

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Bumrush, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If I understand correctly, all the mass and energy of the universe was compacted down to a pinhead sized (or some would argue atom sized) ball.. Are there any theories as to how or where that matter accumulated from?

Also, during inflation, how did the universe expand at a speed exponentially greater than the speed of light? I was always under the impression that nothing could travel faster than light.

jason8er likes this.
  2. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    There are plenty of theories, but all are just that, theories. I suppose the most prevelant theory in society would be some form of God. Whatever you believe, its all faith at that point, no one has any answer to the first particle of matter in the universe. Considering as current science stands, matter cannot be created from nothing, so it seems illogical to me anyways that the universe started from anthing other then the intelligent creator. Thats just faith though...

Bumrush likes this.
  3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My problem with that is, "What created the intelligent creator?"

Fin D likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've always felt that the idea there's some being/force/deity was an outlandish notion. If that is even the least bit plausible, then it should be equally plausible that the matter just existed already. The point is, why is one more plausible than the other.

5. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I thought that the "pinhead size" theory was used to explain that inflation wouldn't have to exceed the speed of light. That the kind of exponential growth they are talking about can only happen if it all started out that small. :confused2:

6. Soundwave

Soundwave Phins Sympathizer..

Apr 15, 2008
    honest questions here.

how can anything exist unless something first existed before it?

did this point of infinite mass and energy just decide on some idle Tuesday to expand, or was it prompted to by an outside force? re: inertia

how do they get the caramel into Caramilk bars?

7. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Nothing. The creators essense is existense. It may sound a little too outlandish for some, but i dont find it hard to believe at all that something as amazing as the cosmos was created by something supremely powerful. Im not nessecarily saying its the God i have in mind, but thats another discussion.

Finascious, your argument is what held my faith back for a couple years now. My parents brought me to church as a kid, but we werent a very strictly religious family, moreso the older i got. From about 15-17 yrs old, i questioned the notion of God for what you said above. But over the last year (im 18 now), my thought has changed on that idea. The reason God is more plausible is because He is not constrained to our laws.

The assertion that matter could have just always existed seems as plausible in theory, but if there is no God, the laws we see around us would always apply. Its a law that matter cannot be created. Something broke that law that is more powerful then any human law.

Its illogical to imagine a beginning of time, its a concept beyond the scope of human reasoning, time has no beginning by definition. Thus, something greater then human logic, laws and reasoning must be the cause of this crazy universe.

I know the "the world is too perfect to be an accident" argument is played out and pretty weak in substance, but if you look at it with an open mind i tend to agree.

With all this being said, i again want to say its still all faith, we probably never will know on this Earth which kind of dissapoints me as im a curious person to a fault. I just feel like its hard to know much when you dont even know something as fundamental as how did we get here. But like i said, if you dont agree with me, more power to you, most of you guys are probably smarter then me anyway, im very open to opposing arguments on this subject because right now im just spouting on my short 18 yrs of experience.

Soundwave and mullingan like this.
  8. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    The subject of this thread has evolved but it reminds of me of something that happened in college at a class in physical geography. During a lecture on streams I had a question, I don't remember what, and the professor answered with a question: what is the purpose of a stream? The question puzzled me and I asked something to the effect of why would a stream have a purpose? The professor couldn't give me a technical answer and simply stated "it's like it has a mind, isn't it?"

9. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Don't sell yourself short my friend. Whether we agree or disagree here, it's obvious to me that you are wise far beyond your years. :up:

Jimi likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The point is, how is that any less less plausible then the concept of a creator? Did a infinitely powerful mass just decide on some idle Monday to turn into a bearded man in the sky and blink everything into being? And is that probable enough to force our lives into a set of rules laid down, by humans, in the name of that creator?

11. Soundwave

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm not asking you if there is a god.. I think I know the answer to that by your avatar.

The question is:

12. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Much thanks brother!

jason8er likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you're not really going to read what i wrote, what's the point in answering your questions? Besides, I asked the question first? If its possible there's a god/force/whatever that obviously came from nothing, why isn't possible that the singularity began from nothing?

14. Soundwave

Apr 15, 2008
    Do you know what Carl Sagan said when asked:

"I don't wanna go there"

What if the Creator has always been? Then it gets more interesting.

i think we need a Philosophy forum.. lol

Fin D likes this.