1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few qb wonderlic scores

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by miamiron, Mar 17, 2011.

1. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
  2. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

miamiron likes this.
  3. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Turrbile, just turrible...

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    newton below the mendoza line.

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Marino has forever ruined it for me making any sarcastic comments on the matter...... like if McElroy only took half the test, he'd still score higher than Newton & Locker. lol.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I'm not a big fan of the Wonderlic or rather of it's uselfulness, the Marino score is an invalid comparison once you know the facts. Back then nobody prepared for the test. Marino certainly didn't. He said that during the test he just went through it quick to finish it rather than trying to do well. Now players prepare and try to do well. You can't compare their scores to those who didn't even try or care.

7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sure, you can compare the Marino score. (1) Do you really believe Marino? I don't. Sorry to question GOD, but I know if I got a crappy score, I'd make up a story about why my score sucked, even if I was a HOF QB. (2) Guys can prepare for the W-lick till the cows come home and they'll still score low. Other guys are just really smart, and they'll score highly. My buddy in High School took the PSAT without studying at all and got a 1400+.

8. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Agree with GH, I think the excuses why you did not do well are flimsy at best no matter what era you took the test in. I scored 43 on one and didn't prepare, would that make me eligible for MENSA? :shifty: :lol:

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I do believe Marino. And It's not like I think he's all that smart. I've spoken to him several times and I've mentioned that IMO he isn't that bright of a guy. But I believe him b/c I know for a fact that most players of that ttime did not prepare for the test. And unlike the PSAT, when players started preparing scores jumped dramatically, even among players who were not that bright.

10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Say what you want about the wonderlic, but there is strong evidence that scoring 24 or lower on the wonderlich puts you squarely in the potential bust category for quarterbacks, and while 25 and above don't guarantee success, ALL of the current elite quarterbacks in the NFL scored at least 25 on their wonderlic.

Basically, the best quarterback over the past 6 years who scored a 24 or below on the wonderlic has been Jason Campbell.

The wonderlic is not an intelligence test, but it does test the quarterback's ability to process information quickly. A low score correlates to a player not being able to process information quickly on the field.

ToddsPhins likes this.