1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A guy at work

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Killerphins, Jun 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Owes me $75 dollars for some work I did for him.
    He wants to pay me with an Original XBox and he says he has about 10 games that will come with it.
    I'm not a serious gamer but will play it sometimes.
    Is this a good deal or would I be better off to stick with the cash.
    I'm sure he doesn't really have the money and is searching for something to trade.

2. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I'm an asm at a local gamestop. We sell original xboxes for $50 and all xbox games are buy 1 get 2 free. So no, it's a terrible offer.

Killerphins likes this.
  3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Tell this guy to man up and pay you what he owes, I mean how old is this freakin' guy?

Killerphins and eric like this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    In his mid thirties. I figured he was looking for a cheap way to get out of paying me.

5. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    If it was a good offer, he could just sell it and give you the cash.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you'd get enjoyment out of it, then its worth it, in my book. The thing people always forget to factor into games, is the time spent. I play WoW, its $14 a month. If I only play 14 hours a month (I play waaaaaaaay more than that), that's a dollar an hour of entertainment. Compare that to going to a movie, and the cost per return factor isn't close at all.

If the guy doesn't have the money, take the xbox and make him work the rest off. Get your lawn mowed or something.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    [​IMG]

bigbry, Big E, Merauder and 2 others like this.
  8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Just show him your avatar....he'll pay you:wink2:

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Listen, I know a guy who knows a guy who happens to have a gift for getting money in on time; oftentimes with interest.

Ask this guy at work how much he appreciates his fingers and get back to me.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're stoopid. I don't live that close to a city.

Big E and unluckyluciano like this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if you value this guy, and your work didn't cost you anything but labor, then take the deal as when someone owes you money things just are never right with them.

Put it this way, if the guy doesn't pay you, what are you going to do? Complain?Go ballistic over 70 bucks?

If you do take the offer then down the road you can still do business with him, that relationship could wind up being more lucrative than taking the short money KillahP.

Themole and 1armychick like this.
  12. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Can't stand cheap *** people.

13. anditsgood

anditsgood Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    It all depends on how good of "friends" you are, and how much "in need" he is. If he just bad with money and is foolish, demand the money (you probably wont get it, call it a lesson learned). If hes truly down and out and you dont need it, let it slide, same if hes a good friend.

without getting into your personal life, its a judgment call. Perhaps you can collect on a favor at a later time.

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    not sure who marked the best answer but it wasn't me.
    anyways.
    I still haven't been paid. I turned down the xbox and he has been avoiding me in the office ever since. He is a pretty decent friend of mine so I thought I would help him out with his PC. The power supply was bad so I did all the legwork to track down a new one, I purchased it with my own money ($60) and fixed the thing and returned it to him. I'm not strapped for the money so I'll let it play out for a while and see if he ponies up. You do someone a favor and look what happens. No wonder I'm so bitter towards others :wink2:

15. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    If you're not hurting for the money I think the biggest issue is the strain it puts on your friendship and the awkwardness it creates in your workplace between the two of you.... so it's probably a good idea to figure out some way to get this solved

How about a payment plan? Tell him to give you 10 or 20 bucks a week or even month...just to get it worked out.

16. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Couple of relevant questions based on this new information:

Did you notify him that you were going to need to buy a $60 piece of equipment? Did he say he could pay you back?

If you informed him of this, and he said he would pay you back, then I can understand your beef about getting the $60 back. Where are you coming up with the other $15? If he's a friend you work with, you shouldn't be charging him for labor on this. If you offer your help to a friend, you offer it free of charge.

If he had no idea you needed to purchase the $60 part, then maybe he's strapped for cash and is having a hard time paying you. In which case you should probably accept the Xbox he's offering and call it a day.

I think you should base your approach based on these two scenarios. If he knew you had to buy the part, you can ask him for the $60, but IMO, shouldn't be charging him for labor.

If he wasn't aware you had to buy a part for the machine, then you need to understand an unexpected bill can be a problem for poor, or frugal people.

Either way, if it's affecting your friendship and you enjoy this person's company might be a good idea to forget about it and not offer him a loan of any kind in the future.

Hope this helps!

Themole, JimToss and jetssuck like this.
  17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought this thread was a "different" version of the legendary "What The Heck Should I Do?!?!?" You know the one, where the female boss wants to hump the guy and have him pretend to be her son...

18. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He wishes he was that lucky...lol