1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A look ahead to the 2018 offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Salary Cap' started by Paul 13, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Lets talk salary cap... 2018 style... right now, according to the usual websites, I'm going to take the average and say we're at $161m in cap commitments (no moves yet). if the cap ceiling for 2018 is $175m, using an average increase over the last 6 years per year of $8m... then we've got $14m in cap space before we do anything... now then, cuts...

1. Julius Thomas TE, saving $6.6m. His is a no brainer
    2. Ja'Wuan James RT, we exercised his 5th year option, which will be guaranteed on day one of the new league year at $9.3m. If he's going to be on our team next year, you certainly want to bring that # down. Now, given the Jesse Davis situation, you could pull the option prior to the start of the new league year at no cap cost to your team. So, potentially, if you decide to move on, you could save yourself $9.3m
    3. Mike Pouncey C, this one is relatively easy. If you're not a Pouncey fan.... you can cut him in the offseason and save yourself $7m against the cap after $2m in dead cap still hits your books. Not bad. This seems likely to happen to me.
    4. Cameron Wake DE, it's almost sacrilegious isn't it? A player that has given us everything... has been underpaid relatively speaking... and yet here we are... his cap # for 2018 is slated to be $8.625m. $500k only is dead cap if you cut him, saving $8.125m against the cap. He's going to be 36 next January. He's showing signs of slowing down (hate to say it). This is a possibility. Has to be a strong consideration. You want this team to get better? Have to think about making these types of moves (and trying to resign Hayes and drafting another rusher early.)
    5. Lawrence Timmons LB, his contract actually is not conducive to him being cut next offseason. His cap charge is $8.225m, with a whopping $7.25m counting as dead cap. He might be more of a candidate to have his contract extended (for another year) to lower that 2018 cap figure. For purposes of this exercise, I'm not cutting him or saving any cap # at the moment in a reworked deal.
    6. Kiko Alonso LB, since his contract was extended back in March... you can forget about him being cut to save money. We're stuck with him. It's not the end of the world. He can be decent if you surround him with better players. Oh and by the way, his 2018 cap # is $9.67m. Feel better now? :lol:
    7. Stills, Branch, Jones... you can forget about them being cut for cap reasons. You might be able to rework their deals to push cap obligations into future years. But right now, I'm not doing that, no need to. We're "stuck" with them.
    8. Ryan Tannehill QB, working my way up to the two highest paid players here. So he has that option on the 3rd day IIRC of the new league year. You can opt out and save $15.2m of his $19.8m cap hit for 2018. $4.6m would be dead hit. I just don't see that happening. If the Dolphins don't exercise the option, an additional $5.25m becomes guaranteed against the cap for 2018, meaning if you cut him after that point in the 2018 season, you are only saving yourself $5.35m against the cap. (not likely either)
    9. Ndamakong Suh DT... saved the best for last right? He's carrying a monster $26.1m cap hit for 2018. You can save $3.9m by cutting him. That's not going to happen. You'd want to move some of that around with 3 years left on his contract. He'll be 33 in 2020 (the last year of his deal). So you could add a year and save yourself some money against the cap in 2018. Last year, we converted $20m of his 2016 salary to bonus, so we've already gone that route. For purposes of this exercise, I'm not counting any potential savings by extensions.

So if we do 1, 2, 3, and 4... we've saved roughly $31m. Added to the $14m I mentioned earlier and we're at $45m in room potentially, without any heavy leg work on items 5 thru 9. Our cap for 2018 is not as bad as people say it is. I'd rather go this route and not touch those other contracts... because if you start doing that, you're just kicking the can down the road. BTW, if you're wondering about Koa Misi and his contract for 2018... he's a UFA. Lastly... if we do what I'm suggesting here, we'd be down to 36 players under contract according to overthecap.com.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I had posted the OP in the Club a couple of weeks ago. Since that time Timmons' contract has been brought up and that due to his "transgressions" earlier this season, his 2018 dead cap hit is much less.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm not sure what I think will happen with Timmons. He's been up and down. If he doesn't make more of a positive impact the final five games, then I think he's gone.

If it were up to me, I would attempt to trade Wake, and accept that our pass rush might be lousy in 2018. Its been pretty bad this year even with him.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Resign Wake and have him retire a Dolphin. He brings pass rush, he is not slowing down, and he brings a good example of what it means to be a professional.

His production is still cheap for what they are getting from him.

It is not easy to get sacks when the team is always behind. It is not easy to get sacks when the field is terrible. It is not easy to get sacks when the secondary just allows people to get wide open on 3rd and 9.

He is still top 10 in pressures, sacks, and hits.

I have no idea how people are watching this season and still are not impressed by Wake.

danmarino and Paul 13 like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I love Wake. But the end draws nearer every season. Its inevitable that one of these days, he's going to just be finished. I also don't see the team paying to bring him back in 2019, and who knows what the situation is going to be at that point anyways. Given the signifigant cap savings, I would move on after this year, especially if we could get a mid round pick in return from a contender who needs an edge rusher. We already have a built in replacement with Harris to boot.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    While true, I do not see the point of giving him up until that actually happens.

The cap savings is not significant. You would have to pay more to get the same amount of production from another player.

A mid round pick would not make the team better.

Wake should retire a Dolphin. He is going to be finished, however, he hasn't been shown to slow down yet. He is still the primary pass rusher on the team, is constantly double teamed, and chipped.

I see the team bringing him back in 2019 if he is still producing as well as he has been.

danmarino and Paul 13 like this.
  7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Regardless of if we cut/trade Wake, we need to address the position early in next year's draft. I like Charles Harris, drafting him was the right move, he'll get even better next year. Williams Hayes... I don't know if I'd want him as a starter at the other end spot. We've also got Andre Branch still under contract no matter what. So you have Harris and Branch penciled in as starters. Bring back Hayes, draft another DE (maybe round 1 or round 2... definitely by round 3). I don't think the pass rush (as a group) can get worse from this year to next if you do these things.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do agree we need another DE.

Paul 13 likes this.