1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A look at the youth of our roster

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, May 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    After reading the article last night of how this will be a "make or break year" for the Dolphins, I find myself trying to figure out how anyone can see it that way. Below I've listed the projected starters for each position and their ages. Players denoted with a * were brought in under a previous coaching staff. A few observations I've made from this. We only have 3 starters above the age of 30 (Bell, Grove and Ricky.) The average age of our offensive starter is 26.3. The average age of our defensive starter is 25.3. Entering the 2010 season, our starters will average amongst them 4.04 years in the NFL, however 12 of the players listed below will be in the 3rd year or less. Looking at this team, there is a lot of youth, a lot of talent and a lot of potential. But we're also a ways away from the Super Bowl. However, considering that 4 years ago we were one of the oldest teams in the NFL and are now one of the youngest, it's very exciting to see the turnaround and to have hope for a bright future where we get to see these guys grow up in front of our eyes and solidify this team for the decade to come.

Projected Starter (Age)
    QB - Chad Henne (24)
    RB - Ronnie Brown* (28)/Ricky Williams* (32)
    FB - Lousaka Polite (28)
    WR - Brandon Marshall (26)/Brian Hartline (23)/Davone Bess (24)
    TE - Anthony Fasano (26)
    LT - Jake Long (25)
    LG - John Jerry (23)
    C - Jake Grove (30)
    RG - Richie Incognito (26)
    RT - Vernon Carey* (28)

DE - Jared Odrick (22)
    DT - Randy Starks (26)
    DE - Kendal Langford (24)/Philip Merling (25)
    OLB - Koa Misi (23)
    ILB - Karlos Dansby (28)
    ILB - Channing Crowder* (26)
    OLB - Cameron Wake (28)
    CB - Sean Smith (22)
    FS - Tyrone Culver (26)
    SS - Yeremiah Bell* (32)
    CB - Vontae Davis (22)

2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I think when people say its a make or break year they are referring to the regime and not the players. Its a philosophy I don't agree with either though. A lot of people are to quick to dismiss how bad we were just two years ago.

I remember reading posts on how going from 1-15 to 11-5 in the end may be a bad thing. The reasoning for this varied from poster to poster and I never agreed with it then. Now though I am starting to see that some of their points were indeed valid in that it may have raised expectations to an unreal level. Such as some people thinking this year is make or break.

I would love to see us win the SB this year don't get me wrong and yes it is a possible scenario. It's not a very likely scenario however. As you mentioned we are not only very young but we are continuing to get younger. These young players are going to need some time to develop and I would hate for the Trio to get run out of town simply because they didn't win it all.

I do however think we have a good shot at winning the division this year and once that's done anything is possible.

siciliansith likes this.
  3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Another thing to consider is how all these players were acquired. A look below shows how our, again, PROJECTED starters were acquired.

First Rounders - Jake Long, Jared Odrick, Vontae Davis
    Second Rouners - Chad Henne, Philip Merling, Koa Misi, Sean Smith
    Third Rounders - John Jerry, Kendal Langford
    Fourth Rounders - Brian Hartline
    Undrafted Free Agents - Davone Bess
    Drafted by another regime - Ronnie Brown (1st round), Vernon Carey (1st round), Channing Crowder (3rd round), Yeremiah Bell (6th round)
    Trades - Ricky Williams (2 1st rounders), Brandon Marshall (2 2nd rounders), Anthony Fasano (4th rounder)
    FA - Lousaka Polite, Jake Grove, Richie Incognito, Randy Starks, Karlos Dansby, Cameron Wake, Tyrone Culver

Upon review, we can see that ten, eleven if you count Bess, players have been brought in by this regime in the draft. First of all, for all the flack this group has gotten for the 09 draft, they have put together a solid group of players. It's very clear why they covet draft picks the way they do. On top of those 11 players, another 4 were picked up by a previous coaching staff, including the 6th round steal Yeremiah Bell. Aside from the Cam Cameron draft, Miami has drafted decently over the past 6 or 7 years, and very strongly the past 3.

Ten players, of the 25 I listed, were not originally brought into the NFL by the Dolphins. Considering that as short a time ago as the Cam Cameron year we were a team of mostly veterans, free agent veterans at that, to be a team that has 15 draft picks starting, it says something about the positive direction this team is heading in.

siciliansith and Phinatic425 like this.
  4. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    This.

5. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Agreed.

The one thing that gives me hope that a SB is possible this year is that the Jets made it to the AFC Championship last year...Just Imagine what WE can do.

6. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

I agree!! IMO this is a yr that we see our qb come into his own and an identity on defense. Compete in HARD HITTING games. If we do this and our young talent looks better then im happy.

I want it all bad! But this is not make or break yr IMO. We are not ready yet for the full run but i believe we are getting close.

7. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008

I agree its not a "make or break" year, but we are every bit as ready for a "run" as NYJ was last year. Make it to the playoffs and anything can happen.

LandShark13 likes this.
  8. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Also, what the Jets did last year with a rookie QB didn't help our "Trio". Not too long ago, they were also 3-13 and 4-12. They figured out how to turn it around quickly and get to the AFC CG. I think Ross is patient, but must see results. I don't disagree with that. This is a ten win team. No other way around it. There is no huge weakness here, talent wise. If we don't win, there has to be another reason besides talent.

But...I think this point is moot as I think we are going to win 11 games, the division and be the the AFC CG anyway. With a bounce or two, we could be better. But we won 7 last year, blowing games against the Saints, Colts, and Bills. I think only with Brandon Marshall we win those three...that puts us at ten wins. I think our defense is going to be more physical this year and probably even learn how to cover a TE.

I think the new DC is going to be a huge thing for this defense. And because we are young, I think we could be good for a very long time.

9. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    IMHO we really do have a shot at reaching the SB THIS year .... our offense will be better (i can't say enough about the Marshall addition) ... and our defense will be no worse than last year -- should in fact be better !

IF we answer the bell at FS and OLB .... this will be a good year.

That combined with our tough part of the schedule up front, so we can get experience - then get on a roll to close the season.

Outside of S and OLB ... again, we have a nice blend of veterans and young growth players.

I do think we are 1 year away ... basically from an 'experience' stand point -- but it is most certainly is achievable THIS YEAR !