1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Mini Celebration

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Sethdaddy8, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I was a history major in college, and am very fond of the subject. Although, I am not a huge history buff in my spare time, I do enjoy it and decided to get myself a well-rounded, good old-fashioned BA, focusing in the subject.

With the way the economy has been going, I decided to really fine tune a contingency plan, incase I found myself looking for a job. I run two logistic/transportation companies with my brothers. So being in business for ourselves is not the most stable situation, although it can be rewarding and lucrative with high highs, and low lows. But my wife is a tenured english teacher, and these days, its her career that is the rock we know we can cling to.

That said, I'm not one to wait until we're in the midst of the storm, incase I have to scramble for a job. I went ahead and took the Praxis exam, to become eligible to teach history/social studies. I took it about a month ago. I prepared for one week, just getting acquainted with ETS and the Praxis style exam in general. I spent another week reading through their study guide and researching basic facts. I am about 3 or 4 years removed from college, so I certainly had some rust as I have been away from the subject for quite some time.

And the exam was hard. Very specific questions on such a broad range of subjects. I walked out of there thinking I didn't fair well. But I passed, and did rather well too! So I am just pleased with myself. And pleased I don't have to spend another $100 on the exam, or that I have to go and restudy, retake it, and all that.

I wanted to keep this rather small, amongst those of us who appreciate history. So here's me patting myself on the back, and sharing with you. Thanks for reading.

rafael, jetssuck, sking29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Congrats.

May this be the first salvo in your full frontal attack of no longer sucking at life!:lol:

Seriously congrats.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Putting more lines in the water means a better chance of catching fish! Way to go and the best of luck.:up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Good luck man. I've heard that test is tough for people right out of college so don't feel too bad. We need more teachers in this country that's for sure.

Good luck in this...I wish you the best. :up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    That's awesome bro.......and my favorite subject;]

Sethdaddy8 likes this.