1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Mock Draft based Ireland's core positions

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Big Red, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    First let's re-visit the quote.

True to his word Ireland drafted a left tackle, a pressure player, and a QB on day one. He even took another pressure player in the 3rd round. He didn't pick a non-core position until the 4th round when we drafted offensive guard Shawn Murphy.

That leaves cornerback, nose tackle, a No. 1 receiver, and more pressure players as you can never have too many. Assuming we won't find those four core positions via free agency I believe Ireland will target them on the first day of the draft.

Round 1 (25) - CB Darius Butler from Connecticut

Not only is CB one of Ireland's core positions but we have a huge hole there. Plus Will Allen will be a free agent next year. However the most pressing concern is who will line up opposite of Will Allen in 2009. The candidates are Jason Allen, Eric Green, Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, and Darius Butler. Let's break them down.

Jason Allen - Is he a safety or is he a CB? I finally figured it out. He's a nickel back. Jason Allen is a very good special teams player who comes in when it's third and long. Not what you're looking for out of a 1st round pick but he is what he is.

Eric Green - Borderline starter as evidenced by his salary and the length of his contract. Definitely not a "core" player. Yes he will compete for the starting gig but we didn't show him the money like Gibril Wilson or Jake Grove. Plus he wasn't signed as quickly as they were. Basically Green is our short term insurance plan and another CB who can play the nickel and dime if a rookie wins the starting gig.

Sean Smith from Utah - A dark horse at #25 because there is a fair chance he will still be on the board when we pick at #44. However he has been compared to Nnamdi Asomugha and if that's true then we would be lucky to get him at #25. The big question for me in regards to Smith is his speed. Asomugha ran a 4.45 forty at the Combine and Smith ran a 4.50 forty. I don't have Asomugha's short shuttle for comparison but Smith ran a 4.15 short shuttle. Not the top time but not too shabby. Definitely worth consideration but his times aren't blowing me away.

Vontae Davis from Illinois - Here's the thing with Davis. He was a Top Ten pick heading into this draft. Now he might be there at #25? That's a huge red flag and there's a good chance we will pass.

Alphonso Smith from Wake Forest - I'm starting to believe his size or lack thereof might push him into the 2nd round.

That leaves Darius Butler who is a tremendous athlete and very capable of starting on opening day. He is exactly the type of player who you build around. In other words a "core" player. When considering only core positions then Ron Brace, Hakeem Nicks, Clay Matthews, Larry English, Connor Barwin, and Robert Ayers are also very strong possibilities at #25.

Round 2 (44) - OLB

Impossible to predict the exact player but I'm very confident in the position. It will depend on who is still on the board. This year's draft is very strong at DE/OLB conversion players. However since there are so many talented guys coming out we can afford to wait and see who is still available in the 2nd round. The candidates are Clay Matthews, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Connor Barwin, Clint Sintim, Robert Ayers, Michael Johnson, and Paul Kruger. None of these guys figure to be there in the 3rd round but at least one of them will be there at #44. Let's break them down.

Clay Matthews from USC - Reminds me of Matt Roth and that's not a good thing. Still he's very likely to be our pick if he's still on the board.

Larry English from Northern Illinois - Very difficult to evaluate. Way more good than bad but there are some concerns such as a history of injuries and level of competition.

Aaron Maybin from Penn State - Very raw and there are questions about whether or not he can carry the extra weight he would need to carry in order to play OLB for us.

Connor Barwin from Cincinnati - My favorite of the bunch so the Patsies will probably pick him at #34.

Clint Sintim from Virginia - A favorite on this board but we haven't been hearing much about him lately. Personally I was underwhelmed when I saw him against Aaron Curry's Demon Deacons.

Robert Ayers from Tennessee - Another favorite of mine but it's very possible he goes to either a 4-3 or a 3-4 team in the 1st round.

Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech - Overrated. Like Vontae Davis he had been considered a Top Ten pick but is now projected to go in the 2nd round. Big time red flag.

Paul Kruger from Utah - Love his size. Other than that I don't really know much about him.

It's possible that Ron Brace could still be on the board at #44 and we might go in that direction but I would be surprised if we passed up one of those outside linebackers even if Brace is still available. Brian Robiskie and Kenny Britt are darkhorse candidates at #44.

Round 2 (56) - WR Juaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma

This guy is extremely underrated right now and I really hope he'll be there at #56 because if he is then it's a slam dunk. Unless we pick Nicks at #25 of course. Other candidates are Louis Murphy, Mohamed Massaquoi, and Derrick Williams. Let's break them down.

Louis Murphy from Florida - Overshadowed by Percy Harvin he could be a steal. His size and speed are impressive.

Mohamed Massaquoi from Georgia- I was really impressed by this guy every time I saw him play but apparently there is a knock against his hands which a red flag when it comes to wideout. Derek Hagan was a victim of poor hands.

Derrick Williams from Penn State - Runs hot and cold. Not sure he has the makings of a number one wideout in the NFL. However he has the potential to take over a game.

If Iglesias if off the board then NT Sen'Derrick Marks from Auburn is a very strong possibility at #56.

Round 3 (87) - NT Dorell Scott from Clemson

There aren't any other nose tackle candidates in the 3rd round. Scott is a team leader and a hard worker. Seems like the type of player Parcells and Ireland would love. Terrance Taylor, Vance Walker, and Chris Baker are possibilities in the 5th round. However I don't believe Ireland will draft a core position in the 5th when we have other needs and there are likely to be better players at other positions available. I could see the Dolphins taking a flyer on Myron Pryor from Kentucky in the 7th round or better yet bringing him in as an UDFA.

So there you have it.

CB Darius Butler
    OLB Connor Barwin (hopefully)
    WR Juaquin Iglesias
    NT Dorrell Scott

Four core positions filled on day one of the draft and the first pick on day two. After the 3rd round Ireland won't go after core positions. I believe the Dolphins will target OL, ILB, FB, TE, maybe RB or Punter, and double up on CB in the later rounds.

Plus there is sure to be a surprise or two. We could see some movement this year trading up or down and it wouldn't surprise me if we traded John Beck, Samson Satele, Ricky Williams, or Matt Roth for an extra pick.

2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is the main thing I disagree with in this whole article. Jason Allen has shown he can be a starting DB, whether it be at safety or cornerback, and whenever he starts, barring his most recent run-in against Moss, he has handled himself very well and even makes plays.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I could definatley live with that as our first 4.

Big Red likes this.
  4. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't think Juaquin Iglesias addresses our #1 WR need.
    I'd much rather take Nicks at#25 and (hopefully) Sean Smith in the second.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I would love to get Barwin at 44

Big Red likes this.
  6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Clay Matthews reminds you of Matt Roth? Seriously what factor reminds you of Matt Roth?

Is it the same one that gets Connor Barwin comparisons to Mike Vrabel?

All four players have very little to do with each other. Barwin and Matthews are worlds more athletic than the other two and between the two of them they have major differences.

7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Jason Allen hasn't proven ANYTHING.

He's shown flashes and that's it.
    Can he ever turn the potential and flashes of talent into consistent play?
    Maybe but it would be criminally inept to rely on such a long shot.

I love the mock picks.

Big Red likes this.
  8. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'd rather take Smith at # 25 and Britt in the second! :wink2:

Big Red and PSG like this.
  9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sean Smith is the perfect CB for us and it's hard to suggest screwing around and possibly missing on him.

Big Red likes this.
  10. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I second that. :up:

Big Red and Stitches like this.
  11. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    The last half of the '07 season and the few games he started at CB, barring his outing against Moss were more than flashes, IMO.

12. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'm also OK with that. In fact, I almost like it better. It guarantees we get Smith. Hoping he falls to us in the 2nd is little to much like playing russian roulette.

Big Red likes this.
  13. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    IMO larry English will still be there at the 44th pick and he would be a great pick up there

Big Red likes this.
  14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't English even makes it to #25.

Big Red likes this.
  15. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I won't pretend to know which players will be taken when, but I will say I really enjoyed the post/thread. Solidly written, well thought out and nicely presented.

cnc66 and Big Red like this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe he ran a 4.53 and its a good time for a guy whose 6'3 1/2, 214 lbs. I know the speed has been a concern for you but I simply don't understand why it is if you have watched him play. He can run with WR's and has good hips. I'd be surprised if he lasted to forty-four. I don't think he will.

I like Kruger. He's underrated IMO. Strong guy who can set the edge pretty well and is very quick to getting to the Quarterback. He's got a nice set of pass rush skills - ranging from a speed rush to a spin and a double spin ala Dwight Freeney - and then he's fluid in space IMO. I think he can turn and run without any problems. He's got a lot of heart as well - he's been stabbed once. He's got a good motor as to boot. The issue that I have with him though is that he doesn't wrap up when tackling at all times. He'll just try to pull the guy down and will whiff on the tackle.

Big Red likes this.
  17. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're not the only one who would disagree with me. :up: I admit Jason Allen has made a fair share of plays but for me when you compare him to guys like Darrelle Revis, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, and Aqib Talib he just doesn't stack up.

18. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I could be wrong about Iglesias but everytime I saw him play he struck me as a #1 wideout. Then in the Senior Bowl he had 6 catches for 90 yards with his longest going for 41 yards. Plus he did that with questionable talent at QB.

19. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are about the same height, both struggle in pass coverage, and make their mark by working hard to overcome their limitations. Obviously there are differences. I agree that Matthews is more athletic but he's also about 30 lbs lighter which would give him an advantage in the 40, short shuttle, vertical jump, broad jump, and 3 cone. It also means he might not be able to set the edge as well as Roth.

20. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you heard the talk that Kenny Britt may be a bit of a diva? That concerns me a little.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't buy into that. Its one of McShay's big concerns for an apparent violation of team rules that resulted in a one game suspension I believe. He's a bit overconfident and I think that's a good thing, especially when he's not the overconfident TO-kind, where he destroys locker rooms and whatnot. I could be wrong here but I have heard that the community and his teammates like him a lot.

Big Red likes this.
  22. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that you mention it Alen I believe I only saw his bowl game. He wasn't impressive which could be coloring my opinion of him. Obviously I'm more partial to Butler but trust me I won't be upset if the Dolphins draft Sean Smith and he turns out to be the next Nnamdi Asomugha.

Oh yeah he's the dude who got stabbed. Now I remember. Thanks.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yep. The bowl game wasn't his best but I still thought he played pretty well in it. He did a good job of keeping up with Julio Jones most of the game I'd say. He had a sack and strip at the end of the game I believe. If I remember correctly, he gave too much cushion at one point in the game and gave Julio Jones a good twenty yards to run and then his footwork was pretty choppy in that game IIRC.

Big Red likes this.
  24. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's good to hear. I like Britt a lot more than Darrius Heyward-Bey. I'm sure Ireland and Parcells have interviewed him. If he passes that test then he's fine by me.

25. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dude, you're the man! Now I remember. I watched that game thinking if Julio Jones gives Smith trouble then how will he fare against Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, and Reggie Wayne.

Maybe it was an unfair comparison to make and maybe I was too harsh but that is what put me in Butler's camp over Smith's camp.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed.

Heyward-Bey is all speed. Needs a lot of work. Britt on the other hand is a big, physical kid who can block and run routes well IMO. Has good hands also. He reminds me a bit of Terrell Owens, which I'm sure I said it once already lol.

Yeah I think that's one game where people watched him and thought he would have some trouble at the next level, especially when flipping his hips because there was one specific play where Julio Jones ran a double-move and Smith was late to getting to the sideline because he was turned all the way around, had his head on a swivel (but looked lost) and looked to have stiff hips; however, that's just one play. I watched that game of Sean Smith twice and then I watched him against Oregon State as well as another one that I can't recall at the moment. He played good in those games and that's when he made me believe that he was the best CB in the class, something I still stand by.

Big Red likes this.
  27. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Pretty much what I've thought all along about his character (McShay's really grabbing at straws there). He's overconfident but definitely less extreme than Ocho Cinco or TO and likely no more than most WR's out there. Plus, he gets along with teammates well and his coaches have nothing but praise for him. He's dropped a few balls early in his career but I see definite improvement there. Currently working with Rod Smith through the draft prep stages. Guess which current WR coach had Rod Smith in Denver (hint: he's a bad playcaller as HC/OC).

Big Red likes this.
  28. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually prefer Iglesias to Britt but I know I'm in the minority. Last week on the NFL Network Mike Lombardi said it is very difficult to evaluate receivers. There's even talk now that Maclin or Harvin might be the first wideout off the board instead of Crabtree.

You and Boomer have both had high praise for Sean Smith. I'm sure I simply haven't seen him at his best. The other thing I like about Butler is the fact that he worked out with Deion Sanders.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Harvin, I don't see happening but Maclin, I could. The reason that is being talked about is because of Al Davis's theory that if a "wide receiver doesn't run a forty, I don't want him" or something along those lines. Coincidentally, Michael Crabtree didn't run his forty while Maclin did. I believe Maclin posted a 4.45 at the combine, a 4.43 and a 4.47 at his Pro Day. Many believe that Al Davis will take a WR and its likely to be Maclin for the reason listed above. If Raji slips to them, I could see them going with him instead of Maclin, whose a raw wide receiver that hasn't ran many routes on the tree, if any. In my opinion, if they want a raw wide receiver that has nice potential and to develop, they need to look on their own roster; Arman Shields is a freak of nature. If they can coach him up, he could be a nice player for them.

So did Devin Hester when he played CB at the U part-time. Doesn't mean much IMO.

Big Red likes this.
  30. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It speaks to their attitude. You've got to train with the best to be the best to put a twist on the old expression "you've got to beat the best to be the best." I believe DRC and Talib benefitted by working out with Sanders last year.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True. My point was that it doesn't automatically improve them, Devin Hester being an example.

Big Red likes this.
  32. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    To be fair though, none of those guys got yanked around, position-wise, like Jason Allen. :up:

But as for your mock, it's solid. It's one I can definitely live with.

Big Red likes this.
  33. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Its all nonsense, I have first hand knowledge of him as some know.
    He is a big time team player.

Big Red likes this.
  34. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes but I'm beginning to believe that if he had excelled at any one position he would have never been yanked around like that.

Thanks. :up:

However its more of a theory than a mock. The idea is if Ireland holds true to his idea of core positions then this is what we are likely to see come draft day.

35. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's really great to hear. How do you have first hand knowledge of him if you don't mind me asking?

36. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Barwin is a lot more like Vrabel than Matthews is like Roth. About the biggest similarities between Matthews and Roth are complexion and position.

37. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Barwin makes Vrabel look like a offensive guard as far as athleticism goes. It's not even close. The two are worlds apart.

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm just saying Barwin and Vrabel are more similar than Matthews and Roth are. That's not saying Barwin and Vrabel are nearly identical, although they both possess similar versatility, it is just that Matthews and Roth are ever further apart IMO.

39. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That would be correct. The one guy who can somewhat relate to Vrabel I'd say is Paul Kruger.

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Red, that is my ideal draft as well!!! Only I prefer James Casey in 2b b/c I don't feel Iglesias gives us that extra dimension that we are missing, even though he's one of my favorite receivers in the draft. I'm a huge fan of everything about Casey, and he will make an impact all over the field if we use him correctly. He has "offensive weapon/wildcat" written all over him.

I think we'd be lucky to get Connor in round 1 with the Pats picking ahead of us.... they will be pressured into taking him in the 1st round b/c they will be scared to pass on him and then we take him at 25 before they can grab him at 2a. Watch and see. :( At least we'd still get to watch him play twice a year. LOL.

Darius Butler is my favorite future blanket corner, and Dorell Scott is my favorite DLineman. People aren't thinking about his versatility- ability to play DE on running downs or DT in 4 man, short yardage fronts.... not to mention the frame to add enough size to dominate at NT. I've watched him his entire career, and we will be getting 1st round production if we draft him in the 3rd ;)

Big Red likes this.