1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Play Calling Challenge

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    This may be some fun. When you're watching today's game, grab a pencil and paper. On top put good call, bad call, and no opinion. Then post it after the game. Could be interesting.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Question: What if it's a bad call but it somehow works?

Also, what if it's a call no one has ever seen? Like a play-action punt on 4th down.

3. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sobe, if its a good call, i'll be too excited to do this. if its a bad call, i'll be to pissed off to do this. sorry bud!

4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That is entirely your call. :)

For debate and discussion, it is a good idea to break your opinions into quarters.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Ricky, All ya gotta do is put a mark under the headings. You can do the same on replay.

IF anyone "inhales" this can be done on Monday. LOL

6. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    How about this:

Tell us the personell on the field on your good/bad call.

Tell us the coverage versus the call.

Tell us how motion effected the coverage called.

Tell us the numbers in the box versus the call.

Tell us the Green Bay's tendancy versus the personell, the formation, and the down and distance of the call.

......and start your entire documentary off with where you think the weakness in the Green Bay defense resides. No, not run/pass ratio. Tell us who you are running at. Tell us how many times you are running at him. Tell us who you are passing at. Tell us how many times you are passing at him.

You start there. Answer those questions. Then I will not think this is an utterly stupid exercise. :up:

7. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Zod,

Think whatever you like. No one is forcing your hand to participate. I guess you are one of few who cannot comment on play calls because of what you require. IF you get all your info, please start a thread. I would love to read it.

For the rest of us, we might have some fun.

Zod likes this.
  8. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    My point is that I'm pretty darn sure Henning can show why each of every 60 or so play calls were called. And he could read it (like a book) to every one of us like we were a bunch of 1st graders. The thing that is going to get Henning (or any other coordinator) fired is results. At the end of every conversation/debate he is charged with getting the players ready to execute the offense. The results are what matters and so far the results have been a terminable offense.

Southbeach likes this.
  9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Good point, and I agree. The intent of this thread is to see how many plays posters agree on being called, as opposed to just the ones we disagree with.

After coaches firing back at fans, I thought it would be a good idea to see the extent of disagreement on play calls.

Some may or, may not, be surprised on calls they agree with, and look at things in a different light. Then again, maybe not.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You have to know the situation before saying if the playcall is good or bad. Down and distance, coverage by defense, time in the game, and last of all, execution by offense. When the offense doesn't execute, despite a good play call, Dan Henning still seems to get blamed for some reason. I know many don't like him but I think he's done well this year.

Situational football is either underrated or ignored.

11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    All I'm looking for is fans/posters opinions, in general,on play calls. Rocket surgery is for another day. :)

IF ya can label a bad play call, ya can label a good one?

12. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    I have not participated in that thread but the thing I thought as to the coaches comments:

Sparano: The worst coach in the world is the coach that has no balls to deal with the fans behind him (in the stands).

Henning: That old fart doesn't read message boards. He reads papers. There is little doubt in my mind that the reporter that badgered him with the question has written an article criticizing playcalling and then has the gall to ask an anonymous question in person. I want to know why the questioner hid behind "Joe". Henning baited the guy because the guy baited Henning. I have no issue with Henning killing "Joe" because Joe does not exist until you put a face on him. The fan that put his own face on "Joe" is a moron. The writer asking the question was "Joe".