1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about the Free Safety position

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm thinking about the apparent dilemma of who will start at FS for the Dolphins:

Rodney Culver- not bad, but doesn't thrill me

Chris Clemons- after what I saw last year I have serious doubts. Dude has size and speed, but I don't see much in terms of instincts and quicks

Reshad Jones- strikes me as a better SS candidate.

I keep coming to the same conclusion as to who our starting FS should be- Yeremiah Bell. Dude has the speed, quicks, size, good instincts, makes plays. I ask this in all humility because I just don't know- why did the coaching staff have him at SS last year and have Gibril Wilson stink up the joint at FS last year? Is not Bell faster and quicker than Wilson? What about this year? Is not Bell quicker and faster than the other Safeties except Clemons (speed not quicks), who imo didn't show starter quality last year and Jason Allen, who is a terrific athlete but nearly a lost cause because he can't figure out how to play the game?

Bottom line- I'm thinking that we go with Bell at FS and Reshad Jones at SS this year. Curious as to other opinions.

2. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Bell @ FS ?? Edited by Admin: Let's not make it personal
    I Cant even Address the other things you said

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    wont be rodney culver
    the guy was a running back and died in a plane crash in 96
    tyrone culver still has a shot to start
    clemons you would hope would step up
    maybe jones
    dont like the y bell to FS at all
    j allen should stay at CB

miamiron likes this.
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Tyrone Culver (who the hell is Rodney?) is probably the de facto starter at FS. He's actually not too bad, and definitely represents a general upgrade over Gibril Wilson. Unless Will Allen converts to FS, I'd say Culver is the guy.

VA_Finfan and Anonymous like this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    the FO sees something in Culver or clemons (or really believes in Jones)

if you look at our offseason, FS is really the only glaring hole we didn't attempt to address. There must be a reason for that.

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i was all about moving will allen to FS then we lost nate jones
    another question is if w allen moves to FS now who mans the nickel?

7. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Seeing how fast they went after Rolle and then Clark when that fell through I don't think they are as confident as you think.

8. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Looks like Clemons is the starter as of now but don't expect it to stay that way. Will Allen is a possibility and even Reshad Jones (Although his long-term position would be SS) We might even find our answer via free agency.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    well they passed on just about every safety prospect in the draft. I don't think they would have waited til round 5 to address the position if they were concerned.

10. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Ireland said converting a CB to FS most likely wont happen.(not sayign it wont) Also, If it were to happen, I'd think it would be will Will Allen with Jason Allen manning the nickel. I'm kind of glad we didnt address FS in free agency earlier because I really want to see more of Clemons and Culver.

11. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    This is my thinking on this, and its pretty simple really. They merely stuck with their board and didn't reach. Time will tell though I guess bro =)

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Didn't you hear, Brandon Marshall is playing Free Safety.:shifty:

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't like Allen at FS. That's a short-term solution to a long-term problem. Ireland has also said he don't think a CB will convert to FS. The front office in general seems less concerned with the position than we are. IMO, that's probably a mistake, but I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions.

14. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    my thinking is they have some one in mind already and only took one 5th rounder as a developmental guy who can maybe generate competition.

maybe rolle or clark didnt sign here because they dont want to share time with some one who is eventually expected to replace them.

15. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    We have good competition at FS with some very talented young guys. Sharper is a possibility, too. I'm not that concerned about it, to be honest. I'm much more concerned with WOLB.

16. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Tyrone Culver = Renaldo Hill. Nothing special, but a solid starter who makes few mistakes. I think Reshad Jones is our FS for the longterm though. Ireland said he'll be played at FS, and I believe him. Not sure why people think becaise he can hit hard he belongs at SS? The guy played both FS and SS at Georgia. He has very good ball skills, had hitter, and is just a playmaker all around. Clemons is a SS from what I see. And none of our Cb's will be going to FS imo. Ireland has already said to not bet on it as well.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We did attempt to though. We had an offer to Antrel Rolle, but the Giants offer was bigger and he took it. We tried to sign Ryan Clark. The one safety we drafted, according to Ireland, is going to be tried first at FS, which means in their eyes, Jones was at least as much a FS prospect as he was a SS prospect.

The off season isn't over with yet, either.

Bpk likes this.
  18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He was a RB out of N.Dame. Was drafted by the Colts. Was later killed in a plane crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Culver

19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Bell came out of college as Free Safety. He replaced FS Bethea in the Pro Bowl which I found interesting. He's very fast and quick with good instincts, the point being that I would most definitely consider moving him back to Free Safety on a team that lacks one.

Edited by Admin : Let's refrain from getting personal please

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=128&draftyear=2003&genpos=FS

http://gridironfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1100990#post1100990

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I expect Zach Thomas to be signed any day now.

Honestly though, its a little baffling they didnt attempt to address it in the draft. Then again, we traded way out of range for Thomas, Nate Allen went a few spots ahead and then Green Bay swooped in on Burnett. I think we may have been targetting at least one of them.

And of course, we pursued 2 guys in Free Agency. Clearly they aren't thrilled with the FS spot right now, but they seem to be ok with Culver/ Clemons as a last resort.

21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol that's messed up yo

22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I bet his corpse can cover better than Gibril.

23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Wow, that's really messed up too.

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Are you serious? That comment gets you on the "ignore" button waiting list due to ineptness. If you had any knowledge of Bell's speed, quicks and instincts you wouldn't embarrass yourself with a post like that.

25. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Personally I dont care who it is knowing its not Gerbil Wilson gives me a huge relief cause the man was HOT Garbage straight out of the landfill.

26. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Bell is no longer a free safety

In 2008 Bell was targeted/thrown at more times than any safety in the NFL...77 TIMES
    He was targeted more than the other 83 safeties in the NFL in 2008

Bell also gave up 54 receptions that same season for last out of 83 safeties in the NFL

LAST IN TARGETING AND LAST IN THE MOST PASSES ALLOWED DOES NOT EQUAL FREE SAFETY

In 2009 Bell was again targeted the MOST of all
    safeties in the NFL with 61 passes thrown his way

Bell improved slightly in 2009 over 2008
    being number 80 out of 87 safeties allowing the most receptions.Bell allowed 33 passes

In the past 2 seasons bell has been targeted the most in the NFL and has given up the most receptions by a safety

I believe Jones was drafted to replace Bell,maybe not this season but very soon.

To put Bell at free safety would be a disaster of biblical
    proportions

WHAT IS TELLING THAT OPPOSING TEAMS HAVE TARGETED BELL MORE THAN ANY OTHER SAFETY
    IN THE NFL THE PAST 2 SEASONS FOR A REASON

27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You can't have great players at every position. Sometimes 'not bad' is good enough.

How so?

I don't think Bell has the speed to play FS. Jones would be a much better FS.

28. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What did he say that was so wrong?

miamiron likes this.
  29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Bell is a near pro bowl SS and a below average FS. He has the speed but he's an 'in the box' guy instinctively rather than a center-fielder.

Culver will be the starter unless we bring somebody else in. He is an upgrade to Hill and Hill was good enough that the defense ranked 15th with a less talented front 7. We had better CB play with 2008, but not better CB talent. If the CBs develop, Culver will have a better defense than Hill had to work with.

Clemons is a physical stud, but he hasn't put it together yet. His play would have to make a quantum leap over last year for him to be a legit starting candidate. Probably not likely, but he has the physical ability so it's not impossible.

I agree that Jones is a better SS candidate. He was almost invisible in coverage for most of the Georgia games, especially deep. IMO he was part of the reason that Georgia was the team that many QBs got their confidence back against. Unless he's talking about a private workout, I don't see the ball skills Ireland mentioned. They certainly were frequently evident on film.

I hope we make a play for Otogwe after June 1st when the Rams can no longer match. IMO he would automatically be the best FS on our roster. And with a better defense in front of him than anything he had in St. Louis, I believe he can be a pro bowl calibre player.

30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think Jones is a consistent enough tackler to play SS right now. He can really play out of control when defending the run too. He is a FS all the way IMO. I don't see any issues with him in coverage.

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Actually the more I watch some of the Georgia games last season, the more I get the feeling Jones is the type of guy thats a better player in the NFL than college.

He really was on a piss poor defense at UGA, and was asked to do a lot.

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    more to this than is apparent
    look for Will Allen to move over if healthy
    or maybe Jason will get another shot
    could acquire a veteran FS before the opener
    this has become our Achilles's heel
    will be our undoing if not resolved appropriately