1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A-Rod makes more than the Marlins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Motion, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    NEW YORK - Alex Rodriguez makes more this year than his hometown Florida Marlins. Boosted by his new deal with the New York Yankees, A-Rod tops the major league baseball salary list at $28 million, according to a study of contract terms by The Associated Press. The 33 players on the Marlins' opening-day roster and disabled list total $21.8 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_salaries

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    hahahaha that is hysterical...

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn... thats a lot lol. thats also ridiculous considering its one person compared to a whole roster.

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Not his fault Marlins owners/management refuse to spend the money they get.

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree the owner refuses to spend money yet has no problem getting that 30 million in revenue sharing from the other teams.

6. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thats his plan. Hes going to use the revenue sharing he gets to finance this contemporary stadium. So look for the marlins to not pay anyone anything for a few years so he can bank all this revenue sharing money and dump it into the stadium so the money isn't coming out of his pocket.

7. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Money in pro sports is getting so out of control

Ducken likes this.
  8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Funniest thing is, the Yankmes still arent gonna win a World Series.. LOL....

unluckyluciano likes this.
  9. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I could not agree more. When fringe players that are not even very good can make more then the President of the United States it just blows my mind. (And nobody start in with Bush, I am not trying to pass judgement on him or any President).

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    baseball needs a salary cap in my opinion. Im tired of watching the same two teams in the AL clean up over, and over again while seeing the same teams struggle over, and over again. Baseball is getting similar to Nascar in a way. It's the haves... versus the have nots. Basically its come down to success in MLB having to do with how much your owners are willing to spend. I'm not a big fan of that approach. I know this probly wont go over too well, and will probalby be countered with "well the yanks have the highest payroll and didnt win last year" yeah... i understand and know that. but thats not the point. the point is theyre still a dominant team year after year simply because of the cash they are willing to spend. its an uneven playing field. but yeah... just my 2 cents :up:

11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    see the problem is the small market teams have the money they just dont spend it the owner of the twins has more cash than george steinbrenner and he cant pay for hunter or santana? and this is somehow those dasterdly yankee or red sox fault?

i read an article last year they were talking about how the yankees had to pay 20 million to the marlins or whatever and only 10 million were put into the teams payroll

no person who owns a professional team is poor okay how about spending some ****ing money on your team for once

12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    This is why they need a salary cap in baseball. Teams like the Pirates, Royals and Devil Rays have no shot at success without one.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not really. You just need to have a competent GM and a good farm system. Revenue sharing helps the small teams a lot.

14. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The amount that A-Rod makes isn't even the crazy part to me, the fact that the Marlins only pay 21.8 mil to 33 players seems really crazy to me.

DonShula84 and finswin56 like this.
  15. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

I completely disagree. THe problem is that the Large market teams continually overpay these guys pushing prices of tickets and concessions throug the freaking roof

BTW: The two teams that played for the NL Championship last year...Arizona and Denver....Payrolls were at 57 and 54 mill respectively....both in the bottom 25% of payrolls.:up:

16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    its pathetic when one player makes more than an entire team. it does explain though why the marlins can never have a decent fanbase. they get rid of all their good players and expect people to keep following them.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Dolphins haven't exactly kept their good players either, but you're still following them.

18. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    But the Dolphins don't openly patronize their fan base on the radio. David Sampson can suck my right and left testicle with the same slurp.

Get that non-sense diamond out of my football stadium you jerks! Gosh I hate the Marlins. Enough of this if you don't pay we won't have professional baseball in Miami. If you can't afford to maintain a business, then sell it someone who can and don't go on the radio and blast us fans who might actually care enough to watch your product.

I hope their business goes under.

19. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    yea, but the dolphins arent trading Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn, Vonnie Holliday, Joey Porter, and Will Allen for guys that otherwise would be playing for the AFL just to save a few bucks.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Exactly which talented players have the Marlins traded for exactly which scrubs?

21. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Day and night Des.

The phins arent cutting the high priced players to be the laughing stock. They went 1-15, but it wasnt due to the FO not spending money to bring in the talent

DonShula84 likes this.
  22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    When did Samson belittle the fanbase? Granted, I don't listen to every one of his radio appearances, but I've yet to hear anything like this.

Lab, I respect you, but this is crap. I want the Marlins out of Dolphin Stadium too, but come on. You're beating a dead horse.

The stadium deal is done in principle. The last things to be worked out are smaller details like police coverage. They're out of Dolphin Stadium in 3 years. Relax.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Oh, good grief. Beinfest traded Cabrera, with Willis as an add-on, for three great prospects. They did the same thing earlier this decade when they traded Josh Beckett, with Mike Lowell as an add-on, for Hanley Ramirez.

And the intended point of the reference was to point out that for all the crying about Cabrera being traded, not only did the team lose the last few seasons with him here, but that he hasn't been in town nearly as long as, say, Zach Thomas--and there isn't nearly the groundswell of hatred for the Dolphins as there is for the Marlins.

24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    i think you underestimate the cheapness of Loria.

25. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Zach Thomas isnt 24 and in his prime...The Dolphins also arent cutting players so the owner can save money, they're cutting them to get under the salary cap so they can bring more players that have a little more left in the tank. Dolphins pay plenty for their players, the fact is the Marlins do not.

azfinfanmang and FinSane like this.