A very sad day, and prayers & thoughts needed for this family
15 replies
Today, Chicago mourns the death of one of its finest.
Police Officer Richard Francis was shot and killed in the line of duty yesterday morning. Responding to a disturbance, Ofc Francis struggled with a mentally disturbed woman who managed to take his gun and shot him in the head.
As his body was taken from the hospital, fellow officers lined up and saluted as the ambulance drove away. When it arrived at the morgue, another fifteen squad cars were there to salute him as he was taken inside, then drove away in single file.
Flags were lowered to half-mast at Police Headquarters, including one that's black and purple with a gold star in the middle, indicating that he was killed in the line of duty.
It brings tears to my eyes reading about this, as I know quite a few cops like this one.
Thanks for letting me share.
May he rest in peace.
Thanks for sharing your grief. That's friends do among friends.
My sincerest condolences to his family and fellow officers. I have a lot of family members in law enforcement. I hear and see alot of stories about what they go through trying to protect their communities. Its a tough job!! May he rest in peace.

Thanks Gish
My prayers and thoughts go out to his family and co-workers.
My son is a firefighter/paramedic and they run into some bad situations also. I try to just not think about it when he's on duty. He works in Fairburn, fairly close to Atlanta.
All of our firefighters, paramedics &, military should be honored each and every day, not just on a holiday.
They are the ones who really work to keep us safe.

Thanks one and all. You make me feel good about my decision to be part of the Phins.com family.
I will try to find an online condolences page, and link it here so everyone can sign it.
I couldn't find an online condolences page yet, it may take another day or so to get put up. But here is a link to a story on this everyday hero.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1038328,CST-NWS-cop03.article
Maybe someone in the Chicago area can find out more and see if they list a link to a condolence page in one of the Chicago area newspapers. Thanks.
Thanks for sharing the news. I am very thankful for those who "serve and protect."
RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Thanks for sharing Kevin.
Here is a link to the online condolences webpage for Ofc Francis. Please take a minute to post if you can
http://www.legacy.com/chicagotribune/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=112757481
It would mean a lot to his family and co-workers.
I'm sorry to hear about that friend. It truly is a shame that people who's job it is to protect and serve are the ones getting hurt for trying to keep us safe.
:pity:
hopefully he will be added to the dc memorial.
I got to visit it in dc and helped my dad look for a couple of guys he worked with.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
always a sad day when a member of law enforcement is lost in the line of duty. so sorry to hear this.
R.I.P. Scott Knight; Dec. 1968 - Dec. 2007
condolences and prayers go out from me! very sad to hear about things like this...
man that just sucks. sad story indeed.
thoughts and prayers to his family.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

