1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A well deserved article for the lil Phins.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, May 20, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/7528/are-dolphins-being-overlooked

The way the team ended it's season, they deserve no love...

Maybe Philbin can learn how to inspire an angry football team..

Wucha gonna do it about dolphin players? Sit on your *** and collect your money?, or get your *** in the gym early 2maro working on your craft to get better?

Prolly sit on their asses.

PhinishLine likes this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I think the article is dumb. I stole this from reddit today, http://i.imgur.com/cMRgtC0.jpg

No faith in Tannehill? In the thread where this was posted, about 75% of the comments were other teams fans saying "I can't believe tannehill did that well last season"

We put a huge amount of effort into fixing our Oline this offseason. About as much as we reasonably could IMO. The only difference between Tannehill and those other guys is 58 sacks

IF we can drop that number by 20, imagine our offensive production this season. Mind you, 38 sacks still isn't very good, but 20 more plays that don't end in sacks!

Philbin being on the hotseat could be spun as a good thing or a bad thing also.

3. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Agree. Do you think Philbin has the players on his side? I honestly hope so but after the lackluster performance in the season ending two games I have some doubts! The talent ist there for success. Some positions are clearly upgraded, Soliai and (maybe) Caroll are the only real losses. Tannehill will be better protected (or it can't get any worse) and hopefully will get the chance to make some plays with his feet. The bad ranking by experts and the Vegas odds puts some chips on every Dolphins shoulder. Everything is there for a great season - but only if Philbin has the players on his side.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    "Tannehill has a mediocre 15-17 record as a starter." That was the only thing I felt was undeserved in the entire article. Fiedler was 36-23 as a starter and Tannehill's second season dwarfs any accomplishment he's ever had. Football is the ultimate team game, until it comes time to analyze the QB. Then it's everyman for himself.

I'm pretty excited to see Tannehill this season. Hopefully with less grass stains... Not only am I interested in his growth going into year three, but I'm excited to see what Lazor's offense brings to him.

Da 'Fins and Unlucky 13 like this.
  5. What has RT accomplished that dwarfs Fielder?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    He was better the first time he stepped onto the field in a uniform.

Fiedler was a career backup who we signed as a one year fill in between Marino and the future, but Wanny forgot to draft the future and Fiedler lingered for years as one of the worst starting QBs in the league. Put a QB the calibre of 2014 Tannehill on those teams and we get a couple of first round byes and make the playoffs every season.

ElNino, Da 'Fins, fin13 and 1 other person like this.
  7. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I liked Fielder because he was a gutsy guy who gave 110% all the time. But Ryan has thrown for more yards both years he played than Jay did in any year. He has a higher completion percentage and thrown for more TDs this past season. And that's all in his second year whereas Jay had been a long time backup before starting for us.

8. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Tannehill was also among the league leaders at getting the ball out quickest so criticizing him for holding the ball too long is rather undeserved. I would say that I see far more positive opinions about Tannehill from analysts than negative. The majority of the negative opinions seem to come from generally uniformed fans (like the fact above). Even among fans I would say the negative opinions are the minority. At worst most fans say wait and see probably b/c they lack the ability to analyze QB play beyond the won/loss record, but even that isn't a negative opinion. It's just neutral.

The other reasons I see as reasonable.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Saw that, lookin good..

I like the fact that we had 100 % shows for voluntary workouts..Philbin needs to use all the offseason disrespect to give this team an edge to play with.

11. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You have to love Tanny's work ethic and maturity. He handled every interview well last year when he had every reason to complain, whine and blame. He has really been a consummate professional.

12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While Tannehill played well in several games last year. I just can't forget how badly he played in the last two games when the playoffs were on the line. The entire team played awful in Buffalo, but Tannehill was outplayed by a rookie QB at home in the last game of the season against the Jets. There was absolutely no excuse for that.

I certainly haven't given up on Tannehill, but it is either he leads them to the playoffs this coming season or the next Head Coach will probably be looking to bring in his own QB in the 2015 draft. Three years as a starting QB in the NFL should certainly be enough time to determine if Tannehill is the long term answer at QB for the Dolphins.

13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, good point...when we start to win some games, there will be hundreds of articles written about how the author of those articles could tell that Miami had turned the corner and was on the right track....

14. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo

15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

16. daniel3

daniel3 Active Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I hadn't seen that one before, but ranking the team near the bottom of the league due to "bad karma" is a new designation to me.

17. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't get why people are so down on Ryan. Quarterbacks don't win games - teams do. Beyond that, his 2013 season was the best by a Miami QB in about 15 years! Better than Marino's final few even! Add to that all of the crap on the team last season, and come on! If he plays somewhat better but the team misses the playoffs, leading to Philbin being fired, why does Tannehill also have to go?

If you've been single for a decade and then meet a cute girl who wants to be with you, do you dump her because she isn't a supermodel? IMO, Ryan would have to absolutely tank it this year to not be back as the starter in 2015, regardless of who's in charge.

18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA

I laugh at the idea of Tannehill going anywhere, personally. There are teams out there that would be salivating at the chance to nab Ryan Tannehill from us. The chiefs come to mind. ****, we all know the pats would be monitoring the situation closely. Broncos would be thrilled. Depending on how their young guys turn out this season, teams like the Bills, jets, browns, vikes, and cardinals would all be pretty interested too.

A new coaching staff and gm might want to draft their own guy I'm sure but I find it hard to believe they'd straight dump Ryan Tannehill.

ElNino, Unlucky 13 and Alex44 like this.
  19. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I agree and am firmly in the Tannehill camp. I love his maturity and off field demeanor as well as his work ethic. On the field I think he has a lot to offer as well. I wanted a greater than 2:1 TD to INT ratio and he was close. He needed to improve his fumbling and he did that in the 2nd half of the season. Accuracy could be better and has to be better and all of this will result in an improved QBR. The first game this season will only be his 53rd start so he's still a babe in some ways. Here's to hoping the new guys improve line play, that Moreno picks up some blitzes and offers some options out of the backfield and that the chemistry w/ the receivers is even better to boot.

Alex44 likes this.
  20. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I definitely think the potential is there for RT. And strongly concur that football games are won / lost by teams (though QBs and OL are big factors). I am hoping he shows a lot of confidence and that the new coaches (OC and OL) really get him and the offense confident and playing aggressively. RT has the physical talents, it's a matter of confidence and decision-making.

Until Miami does something positive, pundits are going to criticize and they deserve it.

Bottom line: it really doesn't matter what any fan or pundit says about them, positively or negatively. The only thing that matters is what they do on the field.