1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaron Rodgers/Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Sep 13, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Watched these two tonight.

I suppose this should go into the Bears/Packers thread but I want the attention given to one:

Aaron Rodgers

When the threw was needed it was made. Grant it the CB fell down and Jay Cutler threw 3 more INTs than TDs (1 TD 4 INTs); but if it wasn't evident after last year after tonights game against a rival in their own house in a clutch situation with the game on the line...

The packers have something special.

Conversationally, I'd like to say that I think WAY too much was given up for Jay Cutler. And not just based off of this performance, though this didn't help.

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Rodgers looked better tonight clearly, even with poor play by his tackles. I reckon Cutler would jump at the opportunity to trade receiving corps though. And for the record I don't think Chicago overpaid for Cutler... no chance. You have a chance to get a proven franchise qb, you jump at the opportunity. Don't choose Culpepper over Brees, oh wait... :sad:

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

When did Rodgers look bad?

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    ey yo Paulie, you give'n me freakin' nightmares ova here!

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Gotta admit though, Cutler was getting killed out there. Was running for his life. And they still came damn close to winning. Lead with a few minutes to go, I'd take that 16 times this year (15 now booooooooooo!).

At least one INT it looked liked his WR stopped running. The other was on a scramble again, his WR going the wrong way on a play Cutler was flushed out.. On first replay it appears his WR just decided to run to Cutler's side (which is what they're supposed to do) but on a replay it seemed to me the ball was in the air, the WR took a look to the LOS and made the turn, missing the fact the ball was thrown up. The DB saw it, not the WR.

All inexcusable of course, INTs are INTs. But their WRs are pretty bad for the most part. Fun exercise, our WRs, Cutler as a QB. I'd take it.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Mile High Salute

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    I wasn't paying attention to Rodgers, I was too busy laughing happily the whole time at Cutler's interceptions :lol:

GISH, texanphinatic and anlgp like this.
  7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He left a pretty solid one in Denver ....

The guy just strikes me as a douche and Im glad to see him lose. Hope the Bears end up in las - scratch that, second to last place. Hell is now reserved for Brett Favre, though it isnt happening unless AP gets hurt.

GISH likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jay Cutler, unfortunately, will never be the top quarterback in this league and that saddens me because he's my favorite quarterback in the league. He's got the talent but he's too stubborn to become the best. Usually I like quarterbacks who have confidence in themselves but Cutler's not only confident, he's also hard headed. He can fit the ball in any window and can make all the throws but I just don't understand what goes through his head sometimes when he's dropping back.

Rodgers on the other hand throws the best deep ball in the game IMO. I didn't watch much of the game last night but I did see Barbre struggle at RT so I doubt Rodgers did a lot of designed roll-outs, which is a bit unfortunate because its beautiful to watch him roll out to the right and throw the deep ball. He's very good. He's smart, he's got a good arm and he's accurate. He also doesn't force things from what I've seen and that's what separates him from Cutler.

GISH and anlgp like this.
  9. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Im glad ur seeing the real Cutler now. Those poor Bears fans must be pulling their hair out. Cutler needs to learn his limitations. As of right now, he thinks he doesn't have any. If he learns to be confident without being stupid, he can be good. It is a shame to see a capable QB waste his talent.

Aaron Rodgers is proving to be the best player from the 2005 draft. Everyone f*cked up, except Green Bay.

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't think cutlers problem is his being hard headed. I think it has to do with he doesn't know how to lead. When things don't go his way he shuts down it seems and he pouts, shakes his head, cries like a whiny *****. He needs to learn how to be a leader, hopefully lovie can teach him.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I actually felt that Cutler was fine in Denver. He did a good job passing the ball there. He threw the ball 38 times per game there and had 18 interceptions, which puts him at about an interception every 35 throws I believe. Not too bad considering he had very little support from the run game and had no support on defense. What I think happened with Cutler last night is he tried to win the game by himself and that doesn't happen often in this league. He made throws that he shouldn't have and it all comes back to what you bring up, limitations. In Denver, he had limitations. As a matter of fact, Mike Shanahan limited Cutler's reads and targets, as he only had him read only one side of the field. Cutler's playing area was basically half of a field. It was either hit Marshall deep, Royal on a drag route or scramble. In Chicago, they are not limiting him and that's why they suffered the effects of it last night. What they are basically doing is telling him to go out there, make it rain, make sure the money ball lands in a group of possession receiver's hands and win the game. To boot, those lack of limitations are messing with his mindset IMO because after he makes a poor throw that results in a turnover, he's back at it. He doesn't know how to step back and learn from his mistakes, which is why I call him stubborn and hard-headed. He needs to realize that he can't throw that fade route to Devin Hester when he's covered very well, for example, or he can't throw the pass over the middle when Johnny Knox is behind Charles Woodson but Tramon Williams is closing in on the ball. If or when he learns that, then he'll be in the upper echelon of quarterbacks. I actually think he could be right up there at the top but he has to learn, which honestly I don't see happening any time soon. Maybe he'll settle down when he's 30?

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's a good point. I think you're right on him not knowing how to lead but I also think it has to do with being a bit stubborn and hard-headed. He doesn't learn from his mistakes and keeps forcing it because he believes he can make that throw. Its like Favre. Favre kept throwing that damn ball in every window he could and Mike Holmgreen almost had a heart attack watching him out there. I remember watching a clip of Holmgreen when he was GB's coach and Favre made just a flat out stupid throw, much like Cutler does at times, and Holmgreen says something along the lines of "No! No! No! Brett, why'd you go and do that? I'm going to lose all my hair out here if you keep making those throws." There are some things you can and cannot do. Cutler needs to learn that.