1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About The TE Position This Game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Sep 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So, are we really going into this game with only two TEs?

I understand the Heynos injury hurts - and given the release of Martin it's likely Heynos would have been #3.

But, this seems quite risky:

1. What if one get's nicked up in the game - they have one TE left.

2. If it happens to be Fasano, then Nalbone has to be the full-time TE the rest of the game. Hope they have a lot of confidence in the guy.

3. If a nick takes place and knocks a guy out - who will they use for two TE sets?

4. The two-TE set seemed to be the most effective offense in the pre-season. Freed up the passing game as the DB's had to come closer to the line to defeat the run. Are they planning on using this a lot with only two-TE's on the roster? Again, risky.

5. What about a 3 TE set in short yardage? Do they have someone else - an OL - that will play the 3rd TE? If so who?

6. What of the times when they need a heavy blocking TE - as they have used the past couple of seasons?

My suspicion is they will get a 3rd TE soon, b/c there's just no way they will go the whole season this way.

Thoughts?

2. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I believe they are abandoning much use of the 2 TE sets and in goal line situations they will probably use an extra linemen. I have a feeling we are going to see a LOT more 3 WR sets.

3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i would have to guess that they will bring in Murtha as a blocker .... maybe they'd take a page out of the PATSIES playbook and use a LB in the red zone -- i think we did that with JT as well .... but there are options ....

the FO is and will continue to scour the available pool for another TE ... as evidenced by the # of TEs they have worked out lately.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe that is why Jermey Pernell was pick up, to be the 3rd tackle/Te.

Short yardage plays do not require an extensive knowledge of the playbook, just put a hat on the guy in front of you and move him off the ball.

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Crazy as tis sounds, if Fasano gets nicked, you could put Nalbone as the blocking TE and have Marshall play the pass catching TE, he is big enough and strong enough. Pur Bess and Hartline out wide. Nutty, but possible.

6. sandcastle

sandcastle Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    My guess on why only 2 TEs were kept is that team has a number of RBs that can plot wing/slot back. None of the TEs show any ability to catch a short pass in front of the LBs and gain any yards. Therefore, these pass plays are better off going to Cobbs, Bess, and Ricky while limiting TEs to routes where they get behind the LBs and provide a big target.

The improved WR crops may be another factor as they are more capable to beat press coverage without needing motion. This may result in more plays where the RB goes to motion to either gain a favorable match-up or act as misdirection.

7. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    I was wondering about that as well yesterday so I went back to last year and had a look at the gameday rosters.

As far as I could see, they only started activating a 3rd tight end during the last 6 games of the season. I'm fairly sure we ran a bunch of 2TE stuff all year, so I would expect the same to happen again.

My guess on their thinking is that they can get through a game with 2 active and just keep one stashed on the practice squad as a 'break in case of emergency' guy.