1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

According to ESPN: Miami trying to trade up to 2...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Jan 14, 2012.

1. phinfan13

phinfan13 Member

Oct 31, 2010
    To sit behind a veteran like Rodgers and come out throwing the way he did...he is ready to be a dolphin!!!

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I seriously hope you're making a joke, cause none of those turds are worth squat. If you think you could win a superbowl with any of the clowns on that list you have not watched any football in the last 10 years. The only exception to that is Flynn and there isn't enough to go on yet. He is worth a look but the rest, garbage.

MAFishFan and rafael like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    One more time, I haven't heard anyone say that Flynn is elite or is a lock, so I don't understand why people have to keep reiterating the fact that he hasn't proven much yet.

What's it going to hurt to bring him in? Money? Who cares? The salary cap, the draft, the coach, the FO are all irrelevant until we get a franchise QB. Is there a chance Flynn could be one? Yes, go get him. Is there a chance Garrad or Grossman can be one? Nope, leave them alone. This ain't rocket science.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  4. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    and that is only for this year... I stop counting over the last few years..

5. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I say sign him. But don't say he is proven, as someone said before. He is a huge question mark, but it worth signing and probably better to have on the roster than LOSEman.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, one o the reasons why I'm not on the "trade whatever it takes to get a Qb!"

Bandwagon, we need more closers on Defense, "smart tough disciplined" is not as successful as "passionate, talented, hard workers" character is not very important the truth be told, having a locker room full of good guys does not win as much as having a locker room full of talented guys.

slickj101 likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Reiff and Flynn are proven, but RG3 isn't? And I must've missed when Flynn got waived.

So yea, maybe you aren't someone who should try and label others as smart or not.

slickj101 and MrClean like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, in your opinion, have you studied any of them?

At all?

Then what do you base your opinion on?

And I should have put Vince Young on the list.

9. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the quarterback comes first, not the playmakers. And its not like we cant add a good receiver in FA. Isn't Vincent Jackson a free agent too?

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I hope it doesn't happen.

11. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Why to add insult to injury?

MAFishFan and slickj101 like this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    VJax won't make it to FA imo, and the larger point is we are out of position in the draft, we have huge other needs along with Qb, all things being equal, what we lose to try to move up to the #2 is not worth losing the chance to upgrade other areas.

Those 2 #2's can be our starting Guard next yr and our second passrushing OLB this yr, or Te, or Wr, or what have you.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Masochist maybe?

VY is a bad fit in Philly, you really don't want him throwing 40 times per gm.

14. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I think getting RGIII and letting him play all of this upcoming season to find out his strengths/weaknesses and finding players to compliment him in next years draft would be better IMO. Sure we have other issues but those other issues aren't as important as the QB position.

15. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Maybe Ross and Ireland made a deal with Fisher in which they pretended to want him to drive up his asking price in st Louis and in turn Fisher would make a deal with them for the number 2 pick
    maybe that's why he needed so much power with the rams

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Could, but keep in mind dropping him into the Henne/Moore situation is not doing him any favors, and is likely to lead to early failures, we need help on the OL, we need a #2 pass rusher, as people may not acknowledge it, but our Defense was just not very good last yr.

It was good enough to put up stats, but also to never get the needed defensive stop in the 4th qtr.

17. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010

I think our line will be fine with Richie and Carey back. Just find a guard in the draft or free agency(move Carey back to tackle.) And RGIII's mobility should help too seeing as he could scramble if the pocket collapses.

Edit: Also I didn't see how well(or bad), John Jerry did at LT the last couple of games. Specifically the Jets game... So if he was any good we should try him at RT this season and keep Carey at guard.

padre31 likes this.
  18. phinfan13

phinfan13 Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Reiff is a guy that can start right away and make a difference. Why waste a first round pick on a QB with hope and prayer that he is the answer to the post marino error? I like the fact of drafting someone that can make a difference right away.

This was in regards to trading up in the draft to get him and it is simply not worth it....so yea maybe you aren't as smart as you label yourself

19. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    I doubt the dolphins end up trading up

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I never labeled myself as smart, not sure where you read that. I don't know how you can possibly claim someone who hasn't played a down in the NFL and someone who has started 2 total games in the NFL are proven though.

For all we know RG3 could start right away and make a difference, nor do we know that it'd be a waste to spend a first round pick on him. It might be just as much of a waste to spend any money on Flynn or a pick on Reiff.

I'm not saying I'd be for trading up for Griffin, but none of us know if it'd be worth it or not.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    RG3 isn't pocket mobile, he can run but he is not good at avoiding rushers, as for the OL that's fair, but keep in mind Newton incredible mobility did not save him from panthers' OL, they were tied for the most sacks allowed with the rams, Dolphins were #2 for most allowed.

We have problems at both Guard slots, Richie I is not a LG (imo), Carey probably will be waived (imo).

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think we've seen a number of times where "mobile" QBs are sacked more often because they tend to keep the plays alive longer than they should. It isn't always a failing of the OL.

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    How is Matt Flynn a proven QB?

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If Fisher really likes Ireland, why is he now the coach of the Rams?

25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree. I think there is a better chance of the OP of this thread hitting the lottery then the Dolphins trading up to the second pick in the draft and selecting RG3. While I would love to see RG3 in a Dolphins uniform next season. I see him long gone by the time select an offensive lineman with their pick in the first round of the 2012 draft.

26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If Jason Campbell hadn't gotten hurt, Hue Jackson is still the coach of the Raiders.

27. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

What? Didn't you see that week 16 showing he put against those nobodies with nothing to play for?

28. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Way too early for anyone to talk about trading up - and too many variables about who will move up or down in the draft. A. Such a report is crazy; B. If the Dolphins really are pushing for this - they are nuts to be even trying to do it at this point.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Before we could waive him we'd have to resign him, then wait till after the trading deadline during the 2012 season.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Neverknow, do know 3 of the FA Qb's this offseason have led their teams to the playoffs, which is one of the reasons why I think this is the deepest FA Qb class in yrs.

-Young
    -Garrard
    -Campbell

Orton, I "think" did it with the bears in 05, could toss Grossman in there as well, his problem is way to up and down, same thing in DC this yr.

31. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well after losing Fisher, Ross probably thinks that he needs to make a splash in the draft even more now.

32. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Because liking Ireland isn't the job he was interviewing for. He was interviewing for the position of Head coach and he and the owner couldn't make their organization structure wants mesh.

33. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    LOL it starts already. Get ready for 3 and a half months of this.

gunn34 likes this.
  34. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I never labeled you as smart either, so yeah I'm looking at Griddles for spreading the myth that Stitches is smart.

Stitches likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I applaud the original poster for putting "According to ESPN:" in his thread title but wish he would have specified "According to ESPN Radio:"

That way I would've known immediately either to not click on the thread at all, or to take it with a total grain of salt.

99% of the time a thread pops up with information heard on ESPN Radio, it's absolutely fabricated. Not killing the messenger, I'm sure ESPN Radio does a pretty good job of screwing up news that everyone's already heard and phrasing it incorrectly...but people listening to this stuff on the radio also get it wrong a ton.

When you hear, or think you hear, something MAJOR on ESPN Radio, ask yourself the following questions before disseminating:

Can you find it anywhere in print?

If the answer is no, assume you heard wrong, either because they phrased it in a way they shouldn't have, or because you were driving and therefore focusing on something else and probably heard something that wasn't really there. Just saying. Not trying to pick at anyone, but I can't even tell you how ridiculously often it is that an ESPN Radio report that someone hears and then starts a thread about is totally wrong.

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't want an Orton or Garrard or any of the other FA QBs really. I see them all as not franchise guys at best. I rather try to develop a guy like Russell Wilson.

MAFishFan and djphinfan like this.
  37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think he is raw, but could potentially be very good. I wouldn't even want him or any other draft QB to see the field that first year.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I would, of course, I think we are out of position to land a good enough prospect to bet on imo.

With Ireland, the "proto type" theory is alive and well, Wilson will not set foot in Miami.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see the vets as good bets either.

And I get the impression that Ireland's prototype is a QB with run/pass skills. I have no information that says his QB must be a certain size.

40. CallMeDaddy

CallMeDaddy New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Flynn and Campbell are the only QBs I'd like to get in Free Agency, maybe because I've liked Campbell since he was with the Redskins.

But if im not mistaken Padre, wasn't Campbell injured in the playoff run for the Redskins and Todd Collins pulled something out of his *** to lead them to the playoffs?(I believe this was the year Sean Taylor died)