1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Achilles' Heel, Pennington's Shoulder

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keypusher, Nov 8, 2008.

1. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    As most football fans know, Chad Pennington has had his right shoulder operated on twice, because of a torn rotator cuff. But what I didn't know was that if the first surgery had been done properly, the second surgery might not have been necessary. From Wikipedia:

A sports doctor in New York told me that, in Pennington's first surgery, the surgeon repaired the rotator cuff, but did not operate on the labrum. But the consensus among doctors now is that a torn rotator cuff in a man Pennington's age almost always means that the labrum was torn as well. According to the New York doctor, since Pennington's labrum was almost certainly torn in his initial injury, it was a foregone conclusion that his rotator cuff would tear again after he returned to action, because the rotator cuff needs the labrum for support. Sure enough, Pennington tore his rotator cuff again shortly after getting back on the field. In the second operation, both the rotator cuff and the labrum were repaired.

The New York doctor is amazed that Pennington is still playing football -- he said many doctors thought no one could rehabilitate well enough from two reconstructions of the rotator cuff to play pro football.

2. Do you happen to know if cold weather affects his type of injury? Just curious if being in miami helps him with the pain

3. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    When Pennington was with the Jets there were many local papers here in NY that stated the surgery he had was not performed correctly. It was a huge story at the time but it seemed to fade rather quickly and I always wondered why. Anyway,its true he needed a second procedure to correct something that could have been taken care of in the first place. As far as the cold weather affecting him I`m not sure,but the warm weather has to benefit him I would think.

shula_guy likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i've had surgery on both my legs and i live in delaware. when the winter comes around here my knees ache more than they do in the summer (any climate change can trigger it, too). the warmth helps me so I'm thinking it probably helps chad.

5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Having had surgery on both knees cold, at least Ga. cold, has never bothered me but I sure can tell you when its gonna rain. My left knee goes haywire every time!!