1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activision's Guitar Hero To Get Drums, Microphone

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by DonShula84, May 23, 2008.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/activision-s-guitar-hero-to-get-drums-microphone/1215173

2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Activision had gotten themself in a tight spot. While they started this genre of gaming (you could make an argument that DDR really started it al..), their technology also helped pave the way for rock band to be created. However, RB came out with the whole shebang and made guitar hero pale in comparison and seem simple and bland. You had to figure this would happen, and it will be tough competition between the two games. I think Guitar Hero will ultimately win though, because guitar hero has much much better songs. I've seen the song list for Rock Band and it's pretty bad.

3. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    This doesn't surprise me at all I knew they would do this with the next guitar hero.

4. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Actually Harmonix which made Rockband started the Guitar Hero series. Activision only bought out Harmonix for GH3. I've got both of them and I will tell you that RB is by far a much better game then GH3. Harmonix has released over 100 downloadable songs since it released(They release songs weekly and have started to release full albums as well). Think there is a total of over 200 songs now with the originals and downloadable ones.

To me its the other way around, I think that the Guitar Hero could be completely done for if they don't get GH4 right. It is almost expected that they have weekly dlc since Rock band does, which they've hardly done any for GH3. I think in the long run rockband will prolly win out if they continue doing things they way they do.

5. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    im completely addicted to GH3 ...i dont like the addiction at all....so i definitely am not going to try Rcok Band. thats like adding a coke addiction to an already disfunctional weed addiction. not cool.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I must be the only person in the world that hates these games.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  7. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    i thought it was stupid too til i played it....

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  8. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

No doubt... Got GH3 for my wife because she wanted it...

Now I'm as addicted as she is... :no:

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I've played it but it just has no appeal to me. If I want to hear or play music Ill go do that instead of playing this game.

10. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    As a musician, I can sympathize. It's a cheap, easier substitute for the real thing; but if you have non-musical friends (which I do), it can get pretty fun when you're drunk.:up::tongue2:

I can enjoy it for what it is, but like Marvin said, "...ain't nothin' like the real thing baby.." :yes:

11. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Gee, that's a novel idea. I liked this game a lot better when it was called Rock Band.

I guess there's enough market for two competing games like this, but I'm a Rock Band guy. I can't help think that the Guitar Hero franchise is just getting milked for all it's worth. Heck, I'm even thinking about selling my first two games.

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I have played guitar hero since the first one came out and nobody had ever heard of it but I tend to agree. It's getting to the point of overkill. I finally gave Rock Band a try and I don't regret it. Overall it's just more fun. I'm not buying another set of fake instruments for this new Guitar Hero, they need to do what they have to to make their game compatible with the rock band stuff. Then I might buy it.

13. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    shoot, i never got the guitar for guitar hero.....i play with my damned controller....its not easy but i saved a whole $70 bucks or whatever

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    mine-as-well of just got "Parappa the Rappa" if you are gunna do that :lol:

[​IMG]

15. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I don't understad the hate for Guitar Hero, it is a great game. Rock Band is ok but you need people around to enjoy it properly unlike Guiter Hero which works fine as a single player. Plus, Rock Band's guitar sucks monkey turds.

I think the "winner" will be whoever secures the best songs to play. When I look at these games, the first thing I want to look at is what songs they have. If the music is terrible, I simply won't purchase the game. So the liscensing is key.

One feature I would love to see that I don't think either franchise has hit on yet is the ability to make your own character. Kind of like Madden, Tiger Woods or any wrestling game. If you could make yourself and play as yourself on stage, I think that would be cool.

GH putting the ability to create your own music is pretty sweet too.

16. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm pretty sure i read that they will have create-a-rocker and its going to be pretty deep.

Samphin likes this.
  17. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Well then...

good.

:up:

18. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I've got both Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band (just bought the game, not the drums, guitar or mic). I must say at first I like GH3 much better, but I just don't like how they keep releasing expansion packs as new games (GH Aerosmith, GH Metallica). Graphically there is not much to improve, so just make the songs downloadable. I don't want to spend another $60 for a few more songs. At least with Rock Band I can pick and chose the new songs I want, which is why I like it a bit better, now.

EDIT: I agree the wireless GH controller is 1,000 times better

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Rock Band will always have more songs b/c of the MTV connection. I think they have an almost 2 to 1 advantage in total songs available. I don't think that any perceived controller advantage for GH will overcome that b/c that is temporary.

20. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't see how it's any fun that way.

SICK likes this.
  21. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I have both, Rock Band is just better. And trust me, I didn't want it to be. I've loved Guitar Hero since it first came out. The guitar controller stinks, yes, but the gameplay and sheer volume of music makes up for that. Most people can find someone to play with anyway, and the Rock Band multiplayer blows GH out of the water. The band world tour mode is a blast.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    gotta agree here....

23. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    im with you....i played it and still hate these game...

24. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    I really don't want a "winner" to come out of this. EA won the battle for football and Madden has been complete garbage for years. I hope Rock Band and GH continue to push each other and make the games and controllers better and better.

25. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    what's the matter, couldn't beat the game on Easy difficulty? :lol: