1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adam Schein: NFL rookie revelations from minicamp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    4. Taylor Mays, tailor made
    Niners defensive coordinator Greg Manusky agreed with our take when we chatted on Sirius NFL Radio. San Francisco did in fact get a third first-round talent when they plucked Mays in Round 2.
    Mays performed like a dominant player in 2008. He slipped a bit in 2009. With Manusky pushing him, and the defensive coordinator likes his work ethic, Mays will get back to his playmaking ways as a neophyte in the NFL.

I have a feeling and made my opinion of this cat public already. I think he's going to be a heck of a player.

HULKFish and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'd love to believe the hype about Koa Misi "proving himself worthy" of running with the first team. I just don't think Adam Schein is familiar with how Sparano loves to mix and match in the offseason. I think the coaching staff is doing everything possible to quicken the positional transition the rookie is making. I've just heard mixed reviews...i.e. one day he's getting consistent pressure against Jake Long, the next day he's getting bulldozed by Ricky Williams.

He's still in shorts Adam, sheesh!

4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I remember you comparing Mays to a Dolphin safety that was pretty darn good in his day.
    He has that Louis Oliver, David Fulcher, Eric Turner type body.
    If he can develop range and hit like those guys he could be very good.
    A real good buddy of mine is a Niner fan and he is excited.
    He knows they are still in shorts though. :wink2:

LandShark13 likes this.
  5. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Rod Woodson has been raving about him as well during his visit to the Niners mini camp. I have liked this guy all along, its just nice to see he's starting to impress.

[​IMG]

Killerphins likes this.
  6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If he is winning matchups every other day that is a good thing. He's learning.
    We are going to have plenty of rotation up front anyway during the regular season.
    I still think Misi will open some eyes.
    Going against Big Jake in that sweltering heat when the pads go on will tell us a little more. That is a great challenge for a rook.

7. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Man I can't for the pads to come on. This is the worst time of year as a football fan....

HULKFish likes this.
  8. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I want to see Koa Misi have a monstrous season as a rookie.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'll be quite surprised if Taylor Mays becomes a ballhawk in SF. He struggled with instincts and he did not plant and drive quick enough at the college level IMO. I felt his weaknesses were exposed in the Senior Bowl practices.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO Misi could have a solid rookie year without racking up a high number of sacks (for a rookie). If he can do his cover duties well, that's a big +.

padre31 likes this.
  11. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    For some reason it became the in vogue evaluation. I think a lot of it stems from the "physical specimen" busts that have occurred that when we see someone that truly is a physical specimen we have grown to expect them to fail.

I watched enough of him in college to know the kid can play. I also know I am in the minority here. It's one of the reasons that every time I predect that he will have a good career I say that I am going on record in my prediction.

12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I think Misi is going to be fine. He does need a year or two in the weight room to reach his full potential though. At least that's what I get from looking at him as he appears a bit soft.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I respect your opinion and like that you stick to your thoughts. However, I don't necessarily agree with them. Honestly, physical specimen is not the reason that I think he's going to fail and really, that's probably one of the last things I'd consider when looking at him. The reason is because I've seen enough of him in coverage to see that he's a liability when he's back there. Simply my opinion but I think he needs to play closer to the LOS.

LandShark13 likes this.
  14. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Even though he's not on the phins I have to admit I am going to have fun watching this kids career.

alen1 likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agree, same here. And if I'm wrong, which is very possible and I'm OK with, kudos to you sir.

16. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    :up::up:

alen1 likes this.
  17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, if Koa makes it into games and plays well that is enough as he is a conversion guy and imho his frame is way underdeveloped.

As for Taylor Mays, imho he will be a good, not great player, he'll be on ESPN with highlight reel hits, but his all around game won't be anything but average.

18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    All due respect of course and I know you are a film rat. Your evaluations are always rich.
    But you watched Mays in Carroll's defense at USC. In college.
    I think we know that defensive players don't thrive there really but translate well to the NFL. Just asking

LandShark13 likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You can read Pete Carroll's defense for yourself if you go to the link and scroll down to his coaching clinic transcript. Cover 3 base coverage, which if I remember correctly, Nick Saban called the "#1 pro ball coverage". I won't sit here and tell you what the 49ers run because it would be wrong of me to discuss something I haven't seen but I would guess with confidence that they use the Cover 3 in their defense.

My point in all of this is that whether he's in college or the NFL, he's going to be asked to be the single high safety or be a safety in a two deep look. He struggled at both aspects at USC IMO and I think some of that comes from the fact that he lacks instincts and that he is not quick enough when asked to turn and run. He's a straight line athlete that has a bit of devil in him on the field but he does not play disciplined.

With all the above said, it's why we have coaches. They get paid to teach him not to do make the same mistakes twice so all we have left to do is sit back and watch. If he picks it up, then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. If he doesn't, I won't say I was right but I will say that I did see the same issues at the lower level.

My two cents. :)