1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adamprez2003, I AM CALLING YOU OUT

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbmonk, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    .. to tell you I have eat crow on Chad Henne. I remember you, among others, were calling to bench Pennington. I love Pennington and I do still completely support him, but I was wrong. My biggest issue was that Henne couldn't possibly come in a play at a high level that quickly. So my argument was that Pennington gave us the best chance to win this and every week.

I assumed Henne would struggle at reading NFL defense and thow a ton of picks and pick sixes that were his fault ( not Ginn's :P ). You know, like most inexperienced QB's. Henne has done a great job of reading defenses and making very accurate throws.

I still expect Henne to struggle at points in the season. He has his first road game coming up. But what he has done in the 3 home games has been VERY impressive. We are averaging 34.3 points per game with Henne at QB. That is fricking amazing. We have a great running game, but Henne has still made plays/throws when he had to ( aka late in the Jets game and Saints game ).

So I bow before you el presidente :lol:
    :theman:

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Kid's got the goods.

And what he's done is impressive considering he wasn't all that impressive prior to his first start. He was consistently struggling in certain areas, be it camp, scrimmage, preseason, etc. As such, I had my doubts.

They have been erased.

3. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I have so much confidence in him. He delivered a lot of nice throws that unfortunately weren't capitalized on.

I think one big difference you can see with him vs. Penny, is on that slant to Hartline. It was delivered with ZIP and on target, allowing Brian to do something with the ball after the catch. Penny would put it on target, but perhaps had to have led him a lil' more due to his lack of velocity, therefore leading him into the safety and probably just a 14 yard gain instead of 68.

Sometimes it's the lil' things that'll get you noticed.

dolfan7171 and k-bayfinfan like this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me verbatim.

I imagine we might still see some growing pains..... OR much like Aaron Rodgers..perhaps the "Growing Pains" happened while he was carrying a clipboard.

5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Henne has, to this point, shown as much to be optimistic about as Mark Sanchez has for Jets' fans. Surprisingly to me, I might add.

But, just like Sanchez early on compared to the last few games, let's be aware that Henne still has a ways to go and he's going to make those young-QB mistakes.

But yeah - there's a lot to like there.

Agua and Vengeful Odin like this.
  6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    i want to add to that.
    even though i didin't call anybody out, my arguemnt vs Henne was that he won't be able to come in, and play at a high level, i though Penninton gave us the best chance to win. i was wrong. Henne is the man.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I was nervous as a nine tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when Pennington went down. I had a lot of hope for Henne, but I honestly did not expect him to do as well as he's doing to date. I feel pretty damn good so far, and I know we'll see some hiccups along the way for the balance of the season, but I think he's going to make us happy, much happier than anyone who's lined up behind center since Dan.

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back here. I didn't want us to bench Pennington, but I knew Henne had the tools (God I've used that cliche so much about him, but I digress) and mental toughness to be a solid QB in this league.

opfinistic likes this.
  9. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I knew Henne had all the intangibles, like leadership and poise and, dare I say, the "it factor". I had no idea his accuracy would be this sharp this soon.

Imagine if Ginn had caught that ball to start the second half of the Saints game or if there were no drops on the final drive of the game. Sigh...........

dolfan7171 and opfinistic like this.
  10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    3 games into his Jets career, folks had annointed Mark Sanchez the "Sanchise."

I, like most of the fan base, hope that Henne can continue to show that he's capable of playing at a high level.

But don't hurt your arms patting yourselves on the back. There's still 10 games of football to be played, including 2 consecutive games against division rivals.

Coming off a difficult loss in which I saw Henne force some throws, I'm going to just hope he can be serviceable ... if he continues to play well then I'll have no problem throwing around the hyperbole. I just think we need to temper expectations a little bit.

dolfan7171, Agua, Ozzy and 4 others like this.
  11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Really?

I think Henne has easily outshined Sanchez.

BTW: If Sanchez were playing for.... ohhh, Seattle, Tennesee, Jacksonville, Carolina or any other small market team, we would have barely heard his name at this juncture.

12. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's funny, even with all these threads knocking our receiving Corp., we still think we have a pretty good, young QB.

Scary to think what could be if Henne gets some weapons around him, especially with that running game and O-Line.

13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Exactly. If we had a real threat at WR we would be a force to be reckoned with offensively.

dolfan7171 and USArmyFinFan like this.
  14. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Overall I think you make a fair point. I am not saying he is "Hen-chize"; I am just saying he as played well above my expectations. I feel like overall he is make good decisions and throwing accurate balls in key points of the game.

The next game with the Jets will be VERY interesting to watch. We will see if they can trick him into some bad reads/passes.

15. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I am excited as a Dolphin fan can be about Henne's progress, but I think everyone needs to realize it takes a couple games, or should I say game films, for opposing teams to find weaknesses in a QB's game - ie Sanchez - so we need to see how he does the next few weeks to see how opposing defenses react to Henne and more imporantly how he reacts to them before we can make anyone eat crow.

dolfan7171, Agua, cnc66 and 1 other person like this.
  16. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I think Hartline has the Hands and route running to be a Number 1, if only he didn’t lack the speed. I do feel at this point, we should bring Turner into the mix so we can see what he has to offer. As for Henne, he is a Michigan man, I never had any doubts.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Henne has exceeded all expectations to this point. Other than the San Diego game he has played like a two year starter, calm cool and collected. Really incrediblke story so far

18. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Henne >> Sanchez is EVERY way ... no comparison at all

it's funny how we have no gone from 'our WRs stink because of our QB' to 'how much better our QB would be if we had good WRs' ... the latter being a much more favorable problem than the former ...

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    While I agree that I was also wrong about whether Henne was ready to be our starting QB, I will not eat any crow for the simple fact that I don't recall seeing any of the folks who were pissed that we drafted Henne back in 2008 eating any crow. You know, those guys who thought John Beck was the answer at QB? :shifty:

Ok, I'll eat a little crow anyways. But with a caveat side of "let the record show I've always been a Henne fan since the day we drafted him."

20. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I had/have a lot of faith in the guy, and he's stepped up and shown it every week. He had the perfect atmosphere to groom him to be the best he could be, and he's capitalizing on it.

To compare him to Sanchez is really darn near impossible to do, they are polar opposites. Sanchez has some innate skills, and thats what is carrying him right now. He does not have near at all the formal training that Henne has gotten. Not to mention Sanchez has only put up numbers in games against teams with lackluster defenses, and seems to get caught up in the pressure easily when he's in a close, or even shootout game.

The only time Henne got rattled Sunday was when he was throwing amazing passes, and his receivers were dropping them, and he knew that on 4th down he had to get the ball off to someone, because the Saints would not be giving it back to the Fins outside of a TD/FG.

The few mistakes Henne have made, are minor, and totally expected. He has exceeded every one of my expectations thus far, and for the first time since Marino left, I am not worried about our quarterback situation. Wow, everyone say that with me... I... Am not... worried... about the quarterback situation. Brings a freaking tear to your eye, it's been a long time coming.

21. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I groaned when we picked Henne. To make matters worse, he appeared to act like an arrogant *** when interviewed immediately afterwards. I even picked Thigpen to come in and take over by now. So yeah, I've never been a Henne fan.......until the Jet game. :D:D:D

So I will take my crow baked with olive oil, lime, and dill, and a bottle of chardonnay.

mbmonk, padre31 and HardKoreXXX like this.
  22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Henne has been impressive, I'd like to point out taht those picks were not his fault

Pick 1) Ginn should have caught that pass

Pick 2) He had a defender in his face and was trying to get rid of the ball, why call a PAP there anyway?

23. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The two PA calls on 3rd and 4th and 13 were mind boggling. I've never seen that with under 3 minutes left in a game.

I'm not even sure we have a Shotgun - 4 or 5 WR Set in the playbook. It really speaks to the lack of depth at the receiver position.

24. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Can you imagine what Marino would have done to Ginn & co. for dropping all those passes? I imagine he would have taken them out. I hope Henne is as tough as Dan. He acts like he will be.

dolfan7171 and jason8er like this.