1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Scout thoughts on Chad Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 21, 2010.

1. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Actually, TO/Jason Witten, Steve Smith, and the Wildcat offense made those guys' careers.

2. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Good insight, thanks for sharing. Hope you didn't put your boy out on a limb with that.

3. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Im a big henn fan but I have to say the offense nevered clicked with him.weapons were there just no spark.

Bpk likes this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's always great to hear that other teams are laughing at you! I thought that stuff only existed in non-realistic movies..... but I guess I'm wrong.

Wait..... are you dare saying that a Bills player said our offense could be good with a ground game.... WITH Henne? Get outta town!! Where are my rotten eggs and tomatoes when I need em?! :shifty:

Is it possible that Henne is staring down receivers and holding the ball too long bc his receivers are being tightly covered due to much of what you referenced? (you've been at games live and paid attention to our receivers; what did your eyes tell you?)

5. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    If Henne cant grasp it by now,he should be ashamed of himself. Also,if this was his first year in the league I`d say maybe you`re right but thats not the case.

6. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    another reason why Cowher would come here ..... Henne can be similar to Big Ben ... especially with a running game.

who knows the verasity of that reporting, but if true - there is no way Cowher would come here if he thought the current QB had no chance -- NO WAY, why do you think Saban bailed ..... i would have too if i got stuck with Culpepper with no way out.

Henne practiced and practiced all off season to be CP 2.0 ..... so seriously, what do we really expect to see from him this year -- to break the cycle, he'll need this next offseason with his WRs to break out of those chains. This doesn't change the fact that he needs very much to work on his coverage and blitz reads ...

This doesn't excuse his play the last few weeks mind you .... but i would like to see him play for 1 year without the Parcell's commandments, with a running game, and without the threat of CP stepping in. All excuses for sure ... but all would weigh very heavily if we were in his shoes ... next year is that year.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Cortland Finnegan did something similar with Marshall. I can understand the Henne blame, I really can. He's the QB, and when the offense struggles, he's the first person to get the blame. But week after week, we hear these things from defensive players.

It's as if Chad Henne is a pitcher, and the other team has stolen the signs. We KNOW they've stolen the signs because of what's been revealed, and people are either too stubborn to believe or feel that his stuff should be good enough to get guys out anyway.

I also find it ironic, that for years on this and other boards, we talk about certain QB's being "System QB's" as if their success was predicated on the fact that they played in an effective offensive scheme. Yet, when someone points out that an offensive scheme is actually hindering a QB, we are not so understanding as fans.

Dan Henning has a track record, and that is one of mediocrity. Chad Henne has a very brief track record, so of the two, I'm willing to give the guy with the lesser amount of experience another shot. If he fails, so be it. But the chance was taken. Besides, as many have pointed out, it's not like we're doing it at the expense of acquiring a supreme talent in next year's draft anyhow.

Bpk, CaribPhin and ToddsPhins like this.
  8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think when you watch the interview you can see its genuine. people have ways of lying. they may say it but they wont put any emotion into it. when they are telling the truth, they will add emotion

9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    you have a link for this?

10. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    This is a ridiculous statement.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    whats ridiculous about it. did you watch the interview and see his facial expressions. here's the video. its only ten minutes long. dont remember where it is. midway i think http://thefinsiders.com/video/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Mallett would be perfect for the offense.

Delhomme was successful in the offense, he has no similarities to Pennington.

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i would consider mallett very strongly if a new coach was brought in. reminds me of flacco. if sparano is retained he cant afford to draft a QB however

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Tom Brady went from Pretty good to really good. Never was Bad. Right now Henne is not playing well. SO we're hoping at best for him to go from mediocre to pretty good. At worst, from pretty bad to decent?

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    No better way to save your job than drafting a QB in the first round and have him show some promise.

16. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I believe it was reported Henne himself said it, when they were starting Thigpen

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    As someone else has pointed out. Culpepper didn't have to read defenses. All he had to do was drop back and thow it to Randy Moss. Once Moss left the Vikings. Culpepper's career went down the toilet.
    It wasn't Linehan who made Culpepper the QB he was. It was Moss.

18. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    This is the fear every Dolphin fan should have. That we become the Panthers

1. Jeff Davidson, Panthers offensive coordinator. It's kind of tough to come up with guys whose stock is falling when three NFC South teams are coming off victories and virtually everybody with the Panthers has been used in this category at one point or another. So we're going to be creative -- in other words, something Davidson is not. I know the head coach sets the tone for what his coordinators do and there's no question John Fox has limited his offense for virtually his entire tenure. But Davidson deserves some heavy blame. I mean, at least try to come up with ways to get Steve Smith the ball. As Fox's time in Carolina comes to an end and I reflect on it, I think one of the worst moves was making Dan Henning the scapegoat for a disappointing 2006 season. Fans thought Henning lacked imagination. After four years of watching Davidson's offense, Henning's offense, in hindsight, looks like the Tampa Bay Bandits of Steve Spurrier in the United States Football League. Fox's staff will be scrambling for jobs. Davidson might have to return to his roots as an offensive line coach because his coordinator résumé isn't looking too good.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/tag/_/name/dan-henning

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Once Culpepper's knee got smashed his career went down the toilet.

During the amazing year he had some great games with no randy moss.

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    christ, half the fans want him fired now. if we drafta QB we arent making the playoffs next year either. there is no way he sticks around to develop him

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    what is that based on? Rookie QBs make the playoffs.

22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    you mean where henne said he liked some plays and didnt like others? lol. thats a condemnation of henning lol

I mean this is the quote

"and you fail to realize players have approached Henning and told him to stop causing this offense to fail."

henne saying he liked a play or didnt like play is him saying henning is caUSING THE OFFENSE TO FAIL LOL

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The last I checked. The Dolphins throw the ball much more than they run it. It isn't that Henne isn't given the opportunity to wing it. It has more to do with the fact he is terrible at throwing the long ball. If the Dolphins were running the ball all game and never letting Henne pass. I could see your point. That just isn't the case. He has been given every chance to prove he is a quality passer in the NFL. So far, except for a few moments in a few games. He has shown quite clearly that he doesn't have what it takes to be that a quality QB.

24. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Jon Gruden probably won't draft a quarterback either though. The only coach who may have enough sway and enough time to do it would probably be Bill Cowher and I'd bet money it would be Cam Newton or Jake Locker.

I have some faith in Ireland, I think he can get the veteran pieces he needs on offense this year to make a 12-16 ranked offense at least as strong as the 2008 group.

25. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    its a helluva risk. i think sparano would want to eliminate as much risk as possible. literally a guy like gradkowski with no upside is better for sparano then rolling the dice on a rookie QB

26. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    During Culpepper's best season Moss only played 13 games and had 767 yards of Culpepper's 4717 passing yards. Seven other players caught more than 20 passes, an eigth player had 19 receptions. Moss did have the most TDs, but he had 13 of Culpepper's 39. Culpepper isn't Manning or Brady when it comes to reading defenses. But he isn't Ryan Leaf either.

27. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I was laughed at when I compared Henne to Kitna.

....Of course now I see it is because that is an insult to Kitna.

too soon? :lol:

28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They'll get better than Gradkowski. You can bet money on that.

29. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010

Umm, just because Davidson is a ****ty offensive coordinator doesn't mean Henning is a decent one.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think Sparano is the type of guy who does the best for the team than worry about trying to save his ***.

Zod likes this.
  31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That was bizarre logic...

32. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    No, thats not it. That was during the Titans game where he said that about the plays.

33. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    PROBABLY. Thats a worst case scenario.

34. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the point is replacing coordinators isnt as easy as fans think it is. if sparano stays its more than likely david lee. this could be jeff richardson all over again

35. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    so what is it

36. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    IF Sparano is kept, the choice of offensive coordinator should be interesting. I would expect a run-based Air Coryell. I doubt they go with an Ehrhardt-Perkins because the number of guys available who run it are limited.

Honestly what does Dan Henning even run? It's supposed to be a Coryell offense but it's so bastardized I'm not even sure what it is.

37. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    His very adament defense of Henning followed by his inability to point out anything that has gone well on offense made me rethink where his priorities were. Both the passing game and running game have regressed this year. Saying your OC has been "tremendous" when you are 31st in scoring doesn't help your public image.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He was supportive of PP as well. You want to show class to your coaches.

GMJohnson likes this.
  39. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Reports said during halftime at CHI game he approached Henning and told him to stop setting up the offense for failure.

40. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Tom Brady also had the luxury of playing the entire time under one of the better offensive minds in the league.

Dan Henning runs an extremely advanced form of checkers. The problem is that the rest of the league is playing chess.