1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Scout thoughts on Chad Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 21, 2010.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    coryell gibbs version is what i call it lol. i agree we will stay coryell

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    who and where are these reports from?

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I think it's pretty fair to say the passing game has regressed because the running game regressed.

I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that our passing offense would be much better this season if we had a top 12 rush offense.

Frayser and PhiNomina like this.
  4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Then get Saunders, he's the one that had success with it.

5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    agreed. dont even think its debatable

6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well considering how long it takes Ronnie to hit the hole even if the PA looked like a real run the defense probably figures they can catch up by then if we are running.

At least at the beginning of the year I thought the interior OL got a lot of **** they didn't deserve because of Ronnie's running, play calls and a few other issues. Incognito in particular has done a good job in his area in run blocking and pass blocking. He's been beat true but usually it takes someone exceptional like Tony Brown to beat him in pass protection.

How would Incognito look at C if you gave him the reps he needs rather than throwing him out without any practice in the Bears game? It's something to be considered since he's a big guy that's a better bet than Berger to take on a NT.

7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lol. the 700 page playbook. we would need a different QB then Henne. I think Saunders requires a more accurate QB

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    You have to be committed to the running game for it to work. That didn't happen this season.
    The philosophy morphed before the season. I blame the presence of Brandon Marshall and the coaching foresight as far as using him correctly.

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Orton?

10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I would like us to draft Mike Pouncey for center and add Logan Mankins. Keep Incognito and if Jerry doesnt develop we play him at ROG

11. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That pairing would work actually

actually good call though. You gave one of the few names that could be an improvement. There are a lot of ridiculous ideas out there. I keep hearing Kubiak. We're not changing into a zone blocking team. Can you picture Vernon Carey or even jake long in that type of scheme?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's a good idea overall. Pouncey might not be his brother but he can take on a NT.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Meh, the running game has been pretty bad this season KP. It's been abandoned most times for good reason. There's just been nothing there all season long.

It's the primary reason I'm not giving up on Henne. You can't ask your young QB to do everything. You've got to help him out and I really think Sparano knows that. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of things changed on the offensive side of the ball for next season with Henne remaining the QB.

GMJohnson and adamprez2003 like this.
  14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Also I don't like the idea of drafting a RB in the first round at all. The effect of drafting an offensive linemen is that you influence 100% of offensive plays. However you use that first round RB there's no way he can put his effect on the game the same way your offensive line does. What was Priest Holmes without that line in K.C.?
    L.T. without the Jets line?
    Faulk without that Rams line?

Whoever's the QB will thank you too.

15. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah thats why i like him more than wisniewski

16. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It seems like most people agree on that - and yet all the blame for the offense still seems to fall on Henne. If we still had a good running game, I think Henne would be good enough. He completes a high percentage of passes and is good on 3rd downs. If we were running consistently and had a "game breaker" type player that could create some long scores, I think the offense would be good enough.

But instead the running game struggles, forcing Henne to throw 35 times a game. When Henne has to throw 30+ times a game he has a 52 QBR.

So while I agree we need an ugrade at QB - it seems that the EASIER route would be to shore up the offensive line and find some playmakers at RB and WR. Guys who can break a long play for a score so that the offense doesn't have to be perfect the entire way down the field.

That would allow us to find the RIGHT QB prospect to go after and groom - rather than this "all-in" mentality that seems to be around the board. It is the same thing that got us Beck and Feeley and Culpepper. Wait to find the RIGHT guy - not a guy RIGHT NOW (didn't mean for that to come out like something from a romantic comedy).

ToddsPhins and GMJohnson like this.
  17. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly. If the opposing defense doesn't have to worry about your backs making explosive plays, it changes their approach entirely.

18. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Slow down guys, we've got another 8 month to debate whether or not Henne is good enough.

20 if there's a lockout. :shifty:

padre31 and adamprez2003 like this.
  19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Note Padre's theory on Terell Owen's will be tested this Sunday as Owens is out for the season.

padre31 likes this.
  20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    In second grade, I head butted Mark Duper in the nuts and he almost passed out. Even the teachers laughed, and Duper never came back for a career day at my school ever again. Does that mean I get to be the head coach next year? Or at least the DC?

After all, 30 years ago I was the only one who shut down Duper all season. Surely that makes me qualified today.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    L.T. and Faulk were all world players on different teams.

GMJohnson likes this.
  22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Please do, the Chargers are a desparate team with a top ranked Defense, if Palmer shines then he should move closer on the radar screen, if Palmer can compete in that game in that situation imho it means he can beat an elite team if he were on a better team.

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The fact that Henning has been an OC for so many years in the NFL clearly shows that he has been a decent coach. Perhaps if he had an offense line that could block. Running backs with break away speed and a QB who is no better than most teams backup. Henning
    wouldn't be the fall guy for all the incompetence of the offensive players on this team.
    I don't care who the OC of this team is. With the QB, running backs, and offensive line the Dolphins are playing with. There is no OC in the world who could make this unit into an effective scoring offense. Get rid of Henning if you want. Until we upgrade the running backs, the offensie line and most importantly the QB. This offense will continue to be one of the worst in the NFL.

24. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm really not sure that is an appropriate use of the word "clearly," to be honest.

25. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I see it the opposite.... Marino, Elway, and Montana would all get sucked into the void in this inept offensive maelstrom. :wink2:

26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If passing is not the strength of this offense. Well, running the ball is certainly not the strength of the offense. Especially when you have an offensive line which would have trouble blocking its way out of a wet paper bag. Ricky and Ronnie have seen better days at running back. Neither has the speed or explosive power they once had. The Dolphins attempted to run against the Bills this past weekend. The Bills came into the game with the worst rush defense in the entire NFL. Yet the Dolphins could not run on them. The best offensive players on the offense are Marshall and Best. The last I checked. They are receivers. To get them the ball. You have to be able to pass the ball. Our passing game is only considered a weakness because of the QB throwing the ball As far as the strength of the team last year being the running game. That might be. The only problem with that is that the Dolphins were 7-9 last year. After 14 games this season. The only strength this offense has shown all year is the ability to drive the ball into fieldgoal range. When this as the only positive aspect of an offense. The truth is that this offense has no strength. Run or pass. They are inept at both. Perhaps that is why the offense averages just a little over one TD a game.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  27. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If by "attempted" to run agains the Bills, you mean throwing it 45 times and rushing it 17 times. And I'm sorry, but if you acknowledge the ineptitude of our run game, you can't then say things like "our passing game is only considered a weakness because of the QB throwing the ball." The two are incompatible statements. We are a team built on rushing the ball and throwing off play-action. If we can't rush effectively, for whatever reason, it is going to have a detrimental impact on the passing game. And that has absolutely nothing to do with Chad Henne. That's not to say Chad Henne isn't a contributing factor to the problems. But you're speaking in hyperbole while, what you're actually saying, is contradicting you.

GMJohnson and ToddsPhins like this.
  28. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think the draft will be determined by whomever the coach of the team is come draft day. If Sparano is still the head coach. I think he and Ireland will go after an offensive lineman. No QB will be left on the board who they will want to draft that early. I think they will look to upgrade the running back position later in the draft or possibly through free agency. If someone they like is available there. If Gruden were to become the head coach. I could see him going after a QB or a running back in the first round. He is the type of coach who might be willing to take a chance on a Cam Newton or Mallett if they were still on the board. He might also look for a receiver with the speed to pressure opposing defenses and open up the field for Marshall and the other receivers. Cowher if he were the coach would probably draft more along the lines of Sparano and Ireland. He would more than likely look to upgrade the offensive line unless there was a playmaker still on the board who he just couldn't afford to pass up. One additional observation. If Sparano and Ireland are still here. I would not be surprised at all if they don't trade down in the first round in an attempt to pick up a second round draft pick. That way we can draft someone like Odrick and this first round draft pick can spend all next year on injured reserve also.

29. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Note their YPC though before joining teams with far superior OL.

30. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The Dolphins don't run the ball because they can't run it. The offensive line has shown quite clearly that they are not capable of opening the holes needed to be an effective running team. This means that the Dolphins are left with no option but to pass the ball.
    Henne might be an average QB on a team with a strong running game. But the fact is that the defenses the Dolphins face go into the game with the idea of stopping the run and forcing Henne to beat them. The opposing team has shown, except the Raiders game, that they can stop the the run and Henne has shown that he is not up to the task of winning a game with his arm. As long as Henne is the QB of the Dolphins. Defenses will gear up to stop the run first and dare him to beat them. My view is that I don't think Henne will ever get to the level where he can consistently beat teams with his quarterbacking skills. I agree that Miami doesn't run the ball often. But based on what I have observed from the running game. If they constantly were trying to run the ball. There would be a lot of 3 and outs. To be effective running the ball. An upgrade on the offensive line and at running is what is necessary. The fact that we have a terrible running game still not change my view regarding Henne. I still think that he is not the long range future at QB for the Dolphins.

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm not so sure it's just the offensive line. I think it's the RBs. Ronnie averaged 4.4 YPC behind arguably the best run blocking line in football. I don't think he's been the same since that ACL injury. I mean he was producing 5 YPC against 8 man fronts with an ok run blocking line. Now he's doing 4.4 last year with an excellent one? I see holes up the middle sometimes and they produce like six yards versus what could be 12 for another back.

GMJohnson likes this.
  32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Ronnie was never really all that special anyways IMO. Whether it be the injury prone tag or the lack of second gear. I said all season use him up and too often early in the season he was on the sideline. Appeared they were holding him back and protecting his knee. Meanwhile it dawned on me a philosophy change was going on. Listened to Ronnie yesterday when he was asked about taking the bulk of the work or splitting time. He called it a slippery slope. That is all I needed to hear really. The brainwashing scheme takeover plan worked off the field just not on the field.

Anyways we probably won't be discussing Ronnie here at the board next season.

33. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've seen maybe three games this year where Ronnie appeared to have a solid burst. One was the Ravens game where on the first drive we were opening up huge holes and Ronnie was darting through them. Of course, then because of our silly commitment to strict platooning, we put Ricky in and the offense lost its mojo. I'm sure somehow Henne is to blame for that though.

34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    After that first drive we only ran Ronnie 4 more times...... Ricky had two carries in the game.
    11 runs and Henne threw the ball 34 times in a very winnable game.

Very sad.

35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I respectfully disagree. Mallett is similar to Henne. He's a thrower, not a dink and dunk game manager. IMO Mallett is pretty shoddy in the decision making department. I could see him failing miserably in this 20 yard box that our offense currently plays in. If we drafted him, we'd still have to get him the appropriate talent that meets his skill set. Unfortunately we didn't do that for Henne; however we did take away his lone deep threat that matches up to his big arm.

I would think that Henne, too, would be more successful if he had Steve Smith in his prime along with Muhammed to throw to. Those guys would make a lot of QBs look good, just like Austin & Dez are making Kitna look better than he really is IMO.

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So what does that make Penny if Henne had him playing 2nd string?

Henne showed enough promise to keep a seasoned vet (who QB'd our 08 playoff team) on the bench. I think that makes him a little better than most team's backup.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Do you honestly believe that the best way for ANY offense in the NFL to be successful is to rely on a young 2nd year starting QB to throw the ball 35+ times a game to only 2 WRs for half the season (due to injury) with ZERO ground game to back him up? You don't feel that this has NO impact on the passing game or its QB?

And please don't dodge or deflect the question.

GMJohnson likes this.
  38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO a new coach would be foolish to spend a 1st round pick on a QB when he has no 2nd round pick, no ground game to help him (IE: need 2 starting RBs), no depth at WR, no #2 TE, no speed on offense, and an Oline that needs help.

It's hard enough for Henne to succeed under these circumstances. Do you seriously feel that an inexperienced rookie will come in here and succeed early on under the same conditions? I don't.

GMJohnson likes this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He was good enough to come from behind to beat Brady and the Patriots. How many guys do that? We can win a lot of games here if we're not placing the entire offense on his young shoulders week in and week out. That's a fact of life in the NFL.

If we had a solid ground game, 1 explosive playmaker, and a reliable WR threat that Chad can throw deep to a couple times per game to keep defenses honest, then I'd stake my life that the offense and QB play wouldn't look as bad as many people think.

40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Oh god not Mike Pouncey. If we get him I want him at Guard. Not center. Please no.