1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adversity builds character

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin is building a winning culture here. I haven't seem this team play with defensive intensity like this since the Denver - Miami game in 2002! We may not have all pieces but I see a team dominating on the LOS with a QB that is going to be a top 10 talent next year... We may be rebuilding but we are headed towards great things. I can't describe what I'm feeling, but I'm seeing an organization that is improving the mindset of this team and culture. Once we find the extra pieces we will shock the AFC. Today was painful for us, but we need this pain to watch this team develop and compete down the road.

This is a process. Despite my desire to break the wall after this loss, I'm seeing more positives than negatives at this point. Ad the positives point to future success.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Man, I can't take anything positive from this game..

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    The good news is the run game is for real.

4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    DJ did someone hack you tonight?? This is NOT the DJ I know. The crowd was fired up, the team is playing well with what they have and Philbin is building character on this team. You will see the light by the end of the season, I guarantee it, even if we win 6 games

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    That is all fine and good.....and probably true.
    But until Philbin learns better clock management and play-calling management late in games it won't matter.

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. For the last three years, fans on this forum have talked about moral victories. The fact is that the Jets are not a good football team. Yet they came into Dolphin stadium today and left with a victory. Some people want to blame the kickers, the coaches, or the fact Bush was injured for the loss.

There always seems to be someone the fans want to blame for the losses. The reality is that football is a game and you win or lose a game based on how you play for the entirety of the game. More often then not, the Dolphins have not played well enough in the majority of their games over the last three plus years and therefore they have lost more games then they have won.

It appears right now that this years team is very similar to the teams the Dolphins have put on the field over the past three years. They are able to beat a bad team like the Raiders. They play about equal to the other mediocre teams, like the Jets. They stay close for a while against the better teams and end up losing by double digits, like the Texans.

Right now I don't see much more from this team than I have seen from the Dolphins for the last three years. This may change as the year goes along, but like you, I didn't see anything positive from this game today either.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then Dolfans have lots and lots of character!

:shifty:

Tone_E and DevilFin13 like this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't understand this criticism at all. We lost because of a missed FG in overtime. That means the clock was managed just fine, we just missed a kick.

9. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    So Philbin and crew should have waved a magic wand by now to fix the disaster that this team has been since 2009?

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    From a one game perspective, there were very few positives for me..

Players on defense seem to be a step slow, a lot.

I'm not seeing Tannehill look ten yards down the field unless it's his first read..The qb athleticism and reactions seemed slow.

Coaching disappointed me, it looked to be unbalanced and very conservative..Either that or Tannehill is taking the easy route.

We have 1 and a half corners, and two receivers..lol

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont know how much more Character I can take!

12. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think we botched the end of regulation and the our last possession in OT.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, I understand what your opinion is, I just don't know why you have that opinion.

We were in field goal range and took shots in the end zone to win it. We didn't get in the endzone and kicked the field goal to tie it. That's playing smart and aggressive. Then in OT all we needed was a FG to win in and the play calling got us in position. No problems there.

14. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    The team doesn't need any more freaking character and neither do I. We both need to win. Winning builds a winning outlook. It makes you expect to win a game, not expect to find a way to lose one.

15. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Absolutely. There is NEVER a positive in a loss to the Jets IMHO.

16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany

a bad team like the raiders, who just beat the steelers ?

Bumrush likes this.
  17. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Except you fail to realize that we are rebuilding with a rookie QB and in today's instance, our best all around player injured.

Take a big step back. We weren't going to the playoffs this year under ANY circumstances, instead we shed the team of two highly talented players that didn't fit the new culture Philbin is building.

And for the record, if our kicker makes one of those two misses, this place is going bonkers with the Phins tied for first place in the AFCE.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I do agree that we are in a rebuilding phase with our new head coach and staff, however, we are in the final evaluation phase with Ireland, and theres a serious correlation here, I'm looking at all his players as objectively as I can relative to other players we could of gotten,with the position were in this offseason in terms of cap space and draft picks, we must evaluate Ireland's players so we can decide whether we want him to do all the rebuilding..a little different approach this year Rush, Our future depends on identifying if Ireland is good at picking talent.

19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    But, we were running the ball at a 4.5 YPC clip and we had all 3 timeouts left. There was no reason to try and force feed the ball into the endzone. We should've run the ball and used our timeouts. But thats fine because we kicked the FG.
    I have more of a problem with what happened in OT. Although we were in FG range, it was far from a gimmie. And in fact, we already missed one from that distance earlier. Instead of running the ball 3 times and getting 9 or 10 yards closer, we again try to force feed it into the endzone twice. We acted like we had the ball at the 22 not the 32.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    There are times where being conservative can be the right call, to me that would be not trying to get a TD when all you need is a field goal, your at the 35, first down, I don't try to score a TD, I try to get a first down, which increases my chance of making the field goal much More than scoring a TD from the 35 on a long pass play.

PSG likes this.
  21. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    We botched the calls in regulation. We decided to throw a deep route to Hartline where Tannehill threw the ball out of bounds, not giving his receiver a chance to make a play on the ball. That's fine...but then we called the EXACT SAME play on the very next down. We didn't use the middle of field and we could have with 3 timeouts to get close to the end-zone for a legit try.

Then in OT we made the same deep route call AGAIN to hartline where we should have been trying to scrap for yards to get closer for our kicker.

I agree with his assessment

22. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Its not the play calling, its also Tannehill sees or doesnt see and the shot he takes....a PI also works in ones favor in that situation. Lots of things go into a play call and when a pass, several options present themselves. Its not like a single receiver route and throwing deep down the sideline is the only option.

However, without the all-22 film its hard to know what other options the play had, and what Tannehill may have saw, etc.

You just dont miss Two 47 and 48 yd FGs....you dont.

Fin D likes this.