1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by TiP54, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    So im planning on playing FF this season.
    Ive done it once, 3 years ago. I missed the live draft, so it drafted players in the way that i set up for their "availability".
    I ended up for Carson Palmer (he was healthy for the most part that year) Hines Ward, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne. THose the only guys i remember. I was doing good, was in first place after 10 weeks, and then LITERALLY my entire started crew got hurt, so i said **** it and stopped.
    So, this year i want to do it again, but actually put some times in to it. Im planning on playing at NFL.com, will try to find a rookie league, so it would be somewhat fair. What i need from you guys is just some friendly advise. Who should I pick when? Fith the first pick, im hoping to get AP or Brees. But im clueless after that. I know Andre Johnson is a beast, and i would like him. Matt Forte, would be a steal. Basically, any imput from "vets" would be appreciated. THanks :)

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I like going running back in the first round and either rb or stud wr in the second and then whichever position you didnt draft in the second (WR or RB) in round 3. The logic behind this is that running backs always fly off the board quickly because there are so few good ones that get a workhorse type load and can produce consistently.

Pay attention to the scoring format in your league as well. If youre in a Point Per Reception league (PPR) backs like Maurice Jones-Drew, Brian Westbrook and Steve Slaton have outstanding value to the point that in 3 of the 4 drafts I have done so far MJD went 1st overall and no lower then 4th, Slaton has been a top 10 pick in 3/4 and westbrook went top 10 in all four. It also gives added value to players like Wes Welker and TJ Houshmanzadeh who catch a lot of short routes with a heavy reliance on RAC.

TE and K are probably the least important positions. They usually end up with the lowest point total by position so dont reach for one. Kicker is always your last round pick; load up on RB's (even time share guys like Reggie Bush, rashard Mendenhall, Felix Jones) and WR's for depth as injuries are prevalent at RB and receivers sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and they breakout with a big year and someone you dont expect goes bust. Dont go crazy over TE. Fill in your starting RBs and receivers first. If it means you wait til round 7 or 8 for a TE Ive seen guys like Winslow, Keller, Heath Miller and Olsen still there around then and I think you'd do fine with any of those as long as you draft well in the first few rounds.

Also pay attention to the scoring in your league. Most basic leagues will look like this:
    RB's:
    10 Yards = 1 PT
    6 pts for a TD
    -2 for fumble
    *May or may not add 1PT per reception

WR's/TE's:
    10 or 20yards = 1 pt
    6pts per TD
    -2 for fumbles
    *May or may not add 1PT per receptio

QB's:
    25 yards = 1 point (pay attention to this because if its 10 yards = 1 pt the emphasis on a QB goes up imo)
    6 pts for TD
    -2 fumble/INT (it may be -4 for INT in which case the value on QB declines)

Pay attention to trends and articles like these:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news?slug=bf-top10_090109 - players who are better real life players or trend downwards
    http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news?slug=bf-bigboard-football - big board based on customized scoring. Form your own opinions about players but use something like this as a start.
    Rotoworld.com and Kffl.com are good sites to use for injury info.

Pay attention to the depth chart, who is winning starting battles for other teams and who is getting cut. For example realize that Ray Rice and Darren Mcfadden are most likely to win the majority of their teams carries. Dont shy away from them in mid rounds if theyre still there. Someone will need a good back they make good bait

Lastly remember many people draft based on last years stats but people who want to win draft based on what will happen this year in their opinion. :hi5:

TiP54 likes this.
  3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Thanks for that write up!
    When should I draft a QB?

4. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    depends on how dominate of a QB you want. Drew Brees is usually going in the Top 10 picks, and Brady isn't far behind. Peyton usually left till the 3rd. I usually go in the 5th maybe 6th rounds. really Depends who's all left on the board.

TiP54 likes this.