1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFCE questions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Jul 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I read hugo's piece yesterday and wanted to add my own thoughts. Each team has questions. We know ours are:

Pennington/LG/RG staying healthy
    Our rookie WR'ers and CB's. Pat White.
    Our Pass Rush

That's just off the top of my head. Another thing that just came to mind is depth.

Here is what I can think of for The Patriots.

47 sacks given up by their OLine
    Tom Brady is coming off a year with no football and an MCL/ACL tear.
    Aging Defense mainly in the LB/CB positions or youth and inexperience (minus Mayo) at those same positions.
    RB - ? Fred Taylor, sure. Can he produce like he used to?

The Bills

Traded away their LT and a decent bit of their Oline is questionable
    TO (he deserves his own spot .. or two..). Sure he makes their WR better on the field but it's the sideline, media and locker room antics I'd be weary of.

The Jets

Rookie QB with little college experience.
    Questionable WRer corps
    Combine the two you may have too much reliance on the run game at any point in the year. I don't know if they can put up enough points fast enough to combat what their defense may be able to do to keep our offense down.

I just wanted to point this all out (and I know a lot of us know this and run these arguments) that these teams all do seem to be getting more media coverage than we do. People look to Miami and say that 2008 was a fluke and that we've got questions on our roster. Of course we do. Every team does.

They look to NE and see that Brady is back and not only do they anoint them division champs but halfway push them into the super bowl with a victory. Wait a minute. We haven't even hit training camp yet?

They look to the Jets and say with their front line and their running backs and their defense they might just be able to pull through with a rookie quarterback leading the way.

They look to the Bills and say with TO on one side and Evans on the other Edwards now has a dual WRer threat and he could have the weapons he needs to succeed.

I say look. NE lead the league in sacks. We added Jason Taylor and Cameron Wake. We've got second year players Merling and Langford coming back and knowing well what to expect. Crowder seems to tackle everything in his given direction. And with a hopefully improved pass rush and an almost definate improved secondary complete with new scheme we may be able to pass rush well enough or cover long enough to give NE fits.

Our offense may or may not use the wildcat as much as they did last year. With White as a pick not only am I hoping so for the validation of the pick but I'm hoping so because our Oline has G questions as far as injury is concerned and our WR corps itself is not a shining star of achievement (as in we don't have a Larry Fitz or Randy Moss). It may just be that extra little oompfh we need to win us some games against the Jets defense. I think if our WR'ers pan out we have a red zone threat that can go up over 5'11'' Darrelle Revis. Our own D should be able to give Sanchez the run of his life if we can get past their Oline.

With the Bills repositioning just about every position on their front line I take a look again at our (hopefully) improved pass rush or coverage situation. Can Edwards make quick enough decisions to get the ball out on time with JT on one side and Joey Porter on the other? Can their Oline block Langford and Merling and Ferguson up front?

All I'm saying is that it seems that the questions the other teams in the AFCE seem to have fall right into our laps. If our own questions can be answered.

djphinfan likes this.