1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermath of Game #3, who played well enough to stay?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 28, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That was one ugly, sloppy game, however with the first cut down day happening on the 30th, which bubble player showed enough to stay on the Roster?

For me:

Micah Johnson
    Rolly Lumbala

Both showed enough to remain for Gm #4.

2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i thought marlon moore, roberto wallace also showed enough. its almost irrelevant since it seems like they've already deceided about pat white one way or another but he actually played well for the one series he was allowed to do anything

Larryfinfan likes this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I was more impressed by Micah Johnson than Tim Dobbins during the first half.

4. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    also agree with your choices padre

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, and he didn't look overwhelmed, I do happen to think Thiggy is a better Qb for us but White should be offered more playing time next week in Dallas.

Ike Francis had 5 tackles and he really seemed to play faster in this game.

Jon Amaya, sadly enough, probably won't make the team, he has no inside out speed..when he runs he sort of looks like he is chopping the ground,.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ike Alama-Francis played decently.

I actually thought Haynos was playing well also.

The coverage teams were better, but there are still many bad angles taken and too many missed tackles...

Jason Allen played well enough.

I'd like to see Benny Sapp get more PT next week.

Soliai is quietly making a case for starting...or at least a lot more PT than just rotational time.

7. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I do not believe we need to make any cuts right now.
    The August 31 date is to trim down to 75 players. I believe we are at that exact number.

This of course is not saying that we will not cut anyone. I just do not believe we are required to.

Big Red likes this.
  8. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i thought we were at around 78. too lazy to look it up though :pointlol:

9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    ike looked good too. i havent liked Amaya so I hope he is cut soon. Havent been impressed by him in any of the three games so far

10. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Ike Francis, Moore, and Micah Johnson all brought their games!

I'd also like to see Roberto Wallace give Pat Turner the boot.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    can't play well until you gel. its a team sport.
    the only one that stood out last night w/V. Davis, the rest nondescript.
    better put together a real offensive line soon, the opener is in three weeks.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I like about Wallace is most young, tall Wr's are not to keen on taking a hit and hanging onto the ball, but Wallace consistently makes that play.

Pity he is not a better ST player.

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    ....You know, I'm going to go ahead and say.

Pat freaking White, in all seriousness.

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I liked what I saw of Alama-Francis and Johnson, as you mention.

Moore, Turner, and Wallace deserve a further look. I think Pruitt has fallen out of favor.

Maybe we can get a 7th rounder for Lumbala. He did show something but, will not clear to the practice squad, and no way he makes the team.

We only have to get down to 75, and I believe we are already at 77. No big deal.

15. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    And that's really what it comes down to... they've given him every opportunity on special teams and it seems when he's out there something BAD happens. I think he's destined for the practice squad though. Has some B Marsh qualities to him as a receiver.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He could always be the never activated receiver

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think we are two over the 75 man limit and would think Amaya and Weaver are squarely on the roster bubble.

As for Lumbala, we wouldn't get anything for him, in the NFL Fb's are sort of parsley on the plate they get added later on, but I like what I've seen from him and it is always good to have a Fb on speed dial, or if Haynos is seriously injured it comes down to Lumbala v Nalbone for that 3rd Te/St player.

Lumbala led the BC Lions in ST tackles so unless Nalbone shows something Rolly should have a bit of an edge on making the team..that I'm not a fan of Nalbone..at all..dude is a fish.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, 4 completions is just enough of a sample Silverphin, he needs in the Teens amount of passing attempts at least.

I agree he looked better than he did last yr in the preseason, like a stronger, more confident player at the Qb position..but still..Thiggy played well so far.

19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We're at 77 counting Edds and Oglesby (who are both on I/R), so I'm not sure how the cuts will work.

padre31 likes this.
  20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

You know...I agree. Pat White just looked different last night. I saw enough to want to see more...Id like to see him for at least one half next week

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Marlon Moore made it clear why they traded Greg Camarillo for Sapp.

I've seen M&M in all 3 games, he had one drop, but he also consistently flashes speed and quickness and some toughness as witnessed by knocking that cat's helmet off last night.

I'd like to know if he can play the Slot and the Boundary Wr position because if he can, Moore has the tools to be a great Utility Wr.

One thing that really struck me about the Falcons game is how much the Dolphins look like Ohio State or Penn State when they play a Texas or USC, a slowish team with a huge Oline that is always a half a step late in getting someone blocked.

MrClean, smahtaz and Larryfinfan like this.
  22. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    pat white deserves a whole quarter of PT next week in my opinion. Even if we're trying to shop thigpen pat white at least needs the experience so if by chance he is called upon in a game.

23. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

He completed 4 short passes against defensive backups. I`m certaintly not at all convinced he`s any better. I cant even imagine him throwing a long pass downfield, much less completing one.

24. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    IF 5 incompletions in his rookie year are enough to bury the guy, in some peoples mind, 4 completions is fair play on the other side. :)

my 2 cents, alen1, eric and 2 others like this.
  25. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Didn't Moore have a drop out in the flats like that last week too? Not to bang on him cause he has definately earned somemore playing time, but I remember thinking that he dropped the same route last week. I'm pretty sure that was Moore anyway.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That would require people to be fair...when they are not..:D

27. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I am no Pat White fan, not after last season, but he did look better last night. He got rid of the football quickly and was accurate, he showed his mobility on his 1st down run. Does all this make me think he has moved up from the 4th spot on the roster? Not even close, but I want to see him in the game next week for at least a quarter.

siciliansith, Larryfinfan and Bpk like this.
  28. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i totally agree on micah johnson, but that rolly guy is another story, your cfl man crush is damaging your football senses, he wont make this team, we won´t keep 2 FB´s, just because of one juke move he wont be any part of this

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, much depends on Joey Haynos's foot, if he has a lis francs and misses the season it will come down to Nalbone or Lumbala or "someone" else a waiver pick up maybe.

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If Haynos is hurt long-term, Lumballa will not stay over Nalbone or a waiver wire pickup because he is not a TE, and we will not go into the season with only 2 TEs.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lumbala worked their during Training Camp and the #3 Te is more or less a blocker so he "could" not saying he will, Lumbala also plays on the Specials.

Shame about Haynos, it was his third season and I'd hoped he finally learned to use his 6'7 285 frame.

If they do go the FA route, it wouldn't surprise if Sean Ryan was resigned.

32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Got a link? I certainly don't recall ever reading such a thing.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh sure, what 50 days of TC and OTA's and I'm going to search through them just for your curiousity?

Sure, let me get right on it...

siciliansith likes this.
  34. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

MM is fast and QUICK , I love that and we ARE slow :(

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO we are not slow. We're fasting than in recent years. However, we are not picking things up quickly right now. Just seems like we are a step late on defensive plays. On offense, we keep trying to run screens when we appear to be not very good at it. I don't think any of our LG's get out there quick enough and it seems like we've had trouble hitting moving targets from what I remember.

36. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I know this seems weird, but to me, while we are FASTER than we have been...we still all travel at the same speed...dont know, but its as if, unfortunately, collectively, they recede to the slowest of the fastest...compared to a handful of other teams, we dont have a single player that seems to be FASTEST...especially on screens and flowing on Defense and special teams.

We dont have the scat back RB or WR that separates themselves PAST the downfield lineman, etc.

Same with ST and our gunners...same with Defense as a whole. Thats what my eye sees...does that make sense. That we are FASTER but we play SLOWER as collective unit?

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think on screens, in general, we are terrible. We are not a screen team. I don't know if I can call us a "screen team" or not but we do not execute it well at all.

We don't use our tailbacks in the pass game it seems like. I know Ricky had a nice number of receptions last year (35 I think the announcers said) but man we do not seem to use our guys in space, which I was referring to in another thread. We do not use spacing concepts.

Our defense seems good in the front seven. .They see things quickly but in our secondary, seems like we are a step slow.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  38. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    But we seem as a unit to move collectively (not always a bad thing), with no one (especially on offense the player with the BALL) moving faster then the slowest....you would think that should set up screens nicely...but since we dont seem to block our screens well downfield, it also means we lack the scat back that can out run the bad blocking and out run the defenders.

its just weird. We are faster...but we dont utilize it to date this preseason.

39. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Offense- Moore
    Defense- M.Johnson, Ike

40. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We are faster , no doubt there. However if team speeds are compared , I have to believe we rank with the slow teams ... still.

I know , not everything upgraded at once , just an observation that I think is pretty evident.