1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agent David Canter explains why Soliai deal didn't get done.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Zod, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz1YcCgF5RU

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm going to be fair on this one. Both parties are at fault. It's kind of a dick move for Canter to not at all consider the $12.5 million guaranteed salary for this year as part of the deal. But at the same time, it's the Dolphins fault for taking a completely lax approach to the entire thing and then GIVING Canter and Soliai that leverage by just tagging him out of the blue after not even having had any earnest negotiations with him.

I mean the fact of the matter is after the Dolphins franchised Paul, and they signed it, he has to look at it this way: he could leave Miami after this year and get the deal he wants, $8 million a year with $16 million guaranteed or whatever...and whichever team he's negotiating with isn't going to look at his 2011 franchise tag salary and ask for a discount on the new contract because of what Paul made in 2011 with the Dolphins. So if the Dolphins want to COMPETE with those teams that could sign him in 2012, then they have to match that.

But none of it changes the simple fact that they could have avoided it all if they'd not been so careless. Canter was willing. They weren't.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Don't we think Vince wilfork money and a bit more is deserving of Paul Solai's game?..Thats what they offered the guy..

4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    So essentially they made him an offer he couldn't accept? Ireland might want to watch that movie again ...

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I don't think Soliai is worth Wilfork money, personally...am I in the minority here?

Clark Kent and steveincolorado like this.
  6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Meh. It isn't my money, so in the end, I am not sure I care, but Soliai isn't worth Wilfork money in my eyes. He isn't in the Wilfork/Ngata/Suh area of DT/NT and I don't blame Miami for not offering him as such. I know it seems to be the in thing to do to kill the front office over every little thing (even stuff they aren't at fault for), but I don't really see anything wrong with their tactics.

Afterall, they ARE paying him 12.5 million dollars this year and the guy has never truly dominated a game, let alone a season. They will either work it out...or they won't, and they will move on. What I can tell you though, is that the supposed strength of our team (d-line) hasn't done too much to impress me in this young season. If he isnt careful, Soliai may end up seeing that number dwindle even further if the line keeps playing the way they have been.

7. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on his play in the first two games this season, I agree with you. I thought last year that Soliai was coming on and he would finally become one of the top nose tackles in the NFL. His play so far this season certainly hasn't lived up the the 12 million dollars the Dolphins are paying him. If he does turn it around and starts playing like he did last year, the Dolphins now will either have to franchise him again next year if they can't sign him to a long term deal, or they will have to let him go in free agency.

With all the needs the Dolphins already have going into next year, having to find a productive nose tackle to replace Soliai, will just make upgrading the talent on the Dolphins more difficult.

8. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I really don't think Soliai has played up to his franchise tag so far. He's not doing himself any favors for a big contract or payday after this year. Admittedly he is not the only player not playing up to par but he is the only one with a franchise player tag.

9. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Meh use that money on a franchise QB not a defensive tackle.

10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't see this as a fault with the Dolphins, why pay a one year wonder a ton of money. We already know that Paul is lazy and now we see what kind of a man he is after getting 12 mil this year. No need to over pay for this guy, he's not worth it.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So far Solai hasn't been worth the contract submitted to him.

Due to the rareness of his position he could still make tons of money even though he hasn't earned it this year,. However there might be a chance that his agent cost him tons of money as he hasn't stayed in good enough shape on his own to prove he is worth a big contract.