1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agent Takes Issue With Mort Suggestion On Rookie Pay

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/agent-takes-issue-with-mort-suggestion-on-rookie-pay/

An NFL agent who was watching ESPN this afternoon (it’s good to know that agents screw off as much as the rest of us) advises us that Chris Mortensen was discussing the Jake Long contract, and that Mort at one point addressed the issue of the skyrocketing rookie contracts by stating definitively that players are very happy with the money paid to rookies, and that he has never heard a peep from anyone who wants to change the system.

Said our source, “I don’t represent a single player that agrees with Mort. I guess he is talking to the wrong people.”

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    If im a veteran player in this league I'd be extremely ticked off if rookies that have proven nothing are coming in and making piles more cash than me to do the same job without proving they can. Something needs to be done in my opinion... a rookie salary cap for example... but come on... the players union is NEVER going to allow that.

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Agents don't care the more money Rooks make the more money Agents bring in.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    There needs to be a cap, plain and simple. The money shelled out to some of these high draft picks is becoming prohibitively expensive and is having a negative effect on teams in terms of busts locking up huge amounts of cap, preventing good teams from getting much better, forcing them to pay ANOTHER high pick etc etc.

The NBA has a very effective cap going on that seems to be working well, why we cant emulate something like that is beyond me.

5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    According to John Clayton, even if there were a Rookie Cap it wouldnt help the Vets get paid more. Most likely the money would go directly to the teams FA pool...