1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIDS vaccine failure

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by ATL-Dolfan, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ATL-Dolfan

ATL-Dolfan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I stole Celtkin's thread from FH, I hope its ok with him. I figured it would be a good topic over here as well, and its of interest to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340212,00.html

This is too bad, they had real hope for this vax when it was designed. I think it will be really difficult to make a vax for HIV considering the reverse transcriptase and it complexities and quite frankly just how cool and elusive the virus is. The fact that one patient can have several genotypes is rather remarkable in itself and almost impossible for the immune system to catch up with especially since it is under attack.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I thought they could finally get this thing down. Its a sad thing to see. People will have to protect themselves more and watch out considering all these teenage girls that are crazily sexually active. I saw a thread on the old website that said 1 to 4 teenage girls in America have STD's that are sexually active. You wonder how many have HIV. I know they are still young as the reports were ages of 14-19 I believe but this world has gotten crazier by day and you just never know.

3. Vampire

Vampire Season Ticket Holder

Jan 5, 2008
    Hilo, HI
    Being a Medical Technologist I just don't see it happening anytime soon and it is very sad. Just think for a second that they have been trying for decades to come up with a vaccine for Malaria and have failed.