1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Conditioning leak?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by gafinfan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Guys I have an AC freon leak and I would like to know just what my cost will be to get it fixed. Low to high please, I know nothing about this subject and I don't want to be taken to the cleaners so I'm turning to all of you for answers. This unit is Seven years old but its been leaking for about two years, I think I have a 10 year warrenty and if so will this be covered or not?

Any and all help/advise is welcomed and Thanks inadvance.:yes::up:

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If the car is under warranty, take it back to the dealership and they will repair it. No charge. A/C leaks are almost always part of the warranty, so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Definitely check the warranty. In any case it shouldn't cost too much, but these guys generally charge $75/hour and up, so make sure they're not playing cards while checking for a leak. Freon is usually marked up 300% or so too from what I understand so prepare to get screwed, just hope it's not a royal screwing.

4. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer, its my House AC not my car. That one I can handle but the House AC is way beyond me. Again Thanks.

5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    First things first, brother.
    Are you certain you have a leak? It seems to me that if it's been leaking for 2 years your coolant is long gone.
    It's very possible that you have a bad TXV -Thermostatic Expansion Valve. It basically controls the flow of your coolant. If it's bad then your system isn't going to operate efficiently.
    Are you noticing a lot of moisture inside your unit? If so that kind of points to the TXV or even a bad filter drier. The two work in conjunction.
    With that said if you have a 10 year warranty then yes any parts - whether it's a bad TVX or coolant line or fittings - should all be covered under the warranty.
    If your warranty has expired then the cost will vary depending on the problem.
    I would say hope that it's a bad TXV if that is the case. That ought to run you maybe 250.00 or maybe less. If you do in fact have a leak, it could be a bit more costly. Freon can run 40 to 80 dollars a LB depending on your region and the company doing the work. Plus parts/labor....just depends.
    In any event call someone to come out and look at it. Most reputable companies will charge 60-80 bucks to come out and then apply that charge to repair costs.
    Good luck.

gafinfan likes this.