1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AJ Duhe's thoughts on Matt Roth's move to OLB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 5, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/10/07/1007dolphins.html

This is an older article, but I never knew Parcells had a hand in making the decision to switch Roth to OLB.

Moving into his contract season and with a year at OLB under his belt, this year will be Roth's moment to show that he can play OLB and do things such as pass rush and maybe show a bit more range for us. Roth mentioned that he has lost 10 pds and had groin surgery..

A bit more background:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...20/a1c_dolphins_0821.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually Parcells is an old hand at converting DEs into LBs.He has done it on every team he has coached so far to great success.

I think he looks for players with the motor and saavy to make the conversion.

Roth can only get better with a year under him at the LB position especially since he now appears to be healthy.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, I was under the impression that HC Sparano suggested the switch for Roth though, and to me Tuna watching C Wake for an hour then signing JT was no coincidence.

It is safe to assume that Ireland and Sparano and Tuna believe Matty R will have a big season and they are trying to lock him up with a contract early to save some bucks.

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This is a perfect example of the organization setting players up for success. If you can't become a pro bowl caliber player here you most likely will not anywhere else.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Sparano was really gushing about Matty R during one of the OTA pressers, And apparently he is a priority guy to resign to an extension before he hits Free Agency, and this is off of one season at OLB.

I think sometimes we underestimate how difficult that switch was for Roth early last season, especially during the first 4 games or so, this year roth heads into the season healthy and with a bit more experience.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Just for sh#@s and giggles, I would love to see at any point during a game, a three four look with Roth, Taylor, Wake and Porter {theres some serious size and athletisism there}.. How they would line up? idk. but it will be fun watching our staff use this linebacking core.

7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    That has the potential to be an insane pass rush, I think. With that line up maybe you put Roth inside and let him hit the gap between OC and OG.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Assuming Wake is as advertised, I'd put Wake at OLB and Roth at DE and JT at OLB and porter at DE.

That way the two stronger players can go head up on the Tackle and the two faster players have a better chance at seeing a Te or a Rb trying to block them.

Add Merling or Starks at NT.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That would be very interesting. A look of Taylor and Roth in the middle - with Roth blitzing and Taylor dropping - and then Wake and Joey off the edge. If Wake is athletic enough and doesn't have issues dropping, he could swap spots with Taylor.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    alright, ya'll gotta stop talkin like this, 3 weeks to training camp..sweet.

How bout Wake and roth on the inside with porter and taylor bringin the heat from the outside {or just let Jason be a front 7 rover}, with wake's athletisism, he should be able to cover the bloodzone and track a tight end down the seam.

late again likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That works assuming we know Wake can cover.

padre31 likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd think we would move a Safety up to play nickel ILB Djp and have the DE/OLB types on the wings or head up on a G/C gap.

Roth and Wake have both played DE seriously, so had JT, Porter according to Disgustipate got the majority of his sacks as a DE, so we have the schematic problem of divvying up snaps and roles among 4 players who can play up or down and are really quick.

The Wildcard is JT, IMO even at 35 he has the most experience and athleticism dropping into coverages or surprise blitzing or playing DE.

We have some really good chess pieces to push on the field for DC Pasqualoni.

Disnardo and djphinfan like this.
  13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I know, it all goes back to sh$#s and giggles, its too good to be true. We'll see, i like to think our regime recognized that the team needed athletisism, went out and got some great ones { basically our whole draft, Wake, Smith, Davis, Turner, White, Clemons, Hartline and Jason taylor] and wants to train the athlete up {ninja style}and Let the scheme put them into position.... Confident coaching staff, they understand that you need athletes as well and not just smart players to get the job done. Intimidation, physicality, is part of the code.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and on those passing situations, a line of Langford, starks and merling would be ideal, merling and kendall setting the edge while taylor and porter, or wake come from the outside next to them, starks getting pressure from the nose. Thats a serious 5 man rush.

padre31 likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There you go DJ, that is a good glimpse at what may happen this season.

I do expect more out of McDaniels though, he's 6'7 and can eat two blockers on passing downs and is tough to throw over.

And you can sort of see the problem with getting Wake or Roth in the game on passing downs, we already have JT and JP, where would either Wake or Roth line up? That is why IMO we see either one play DE or stack a side with JT or JP, or Wake can come in when JT or JP need some blow time.

JP made it a point to mention that a pass rusher can get worn out and our depth is soo much better this season Wake could be just a luxurious back up and special teamer and special rush package player this season.

It would be hard to see him doing worse then Q Moses, but C Anderson did okay in that role last season and Anderson has experience playing OLB on passing downs in Houston, his problem is not athleticism, Charlie A just does not produce enough plays.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    our flats would be suceptible as well with those four at linebacker.... hmmmm, ok, so lets get them on the field for one time, take a picture, and move on, lol. should be fun to watch unfold.

padre31 likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They would be vulnerable..unless we play man to man against a 4 Wr set...

And to me that is why we drafted Smith and Davis, we had Will Allen and Jason Allen, Eric Green or Nathan Jones have to win that 4th Qb job...

Man o man, if Jason Allen's light comes on, we could have Cb's on the field who can run with anyone in the NFL, that is such a rare reality in the NFL.

Say we play the Pats, Will Allen covers Wes Welker, Sean Smith could draw Randy Moss, V Davis would be man up on Lewis and JA would have J Galloway.

What do you think Dj?

18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    He wants to find another Taylor...Lawrence Taylor that is.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Allen has some serious hills to climb, nameably 2 high draft picks and will allen. Iam not sure if hes a player that has one foot out the door. His long term future here looks bleak as it stands, I personally would be ok with him as our dime, just dont know if we'll get his all if thats the case, former first rounder buried on the depth chart, could start thinkin ya know.

However, i have seen jason play, i have not seen mr. green. In my mind its green that has to beat out Jason for the 4th or higher, until i see green play.

20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Back to Roth, all signs point to him having a breakout year and coming up big for us this season. Now he's had a full season at LB and an offseason of more training, the game should slow down for him at the position. I really look for Roth to turn into something special for us this season. Parcells is a master at doing this, and I think he's possibly done it again.