1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Johnson rushed into the center of things

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Coach Tony Sparano, a former offensive line coach, is a big fan of Johnson from their days together with the Cowboys, where Johnson was his starter. Sparano planned to get the two centers on the field together after liking what he saw during last week's practices.

Satele had been working at guard during practice since the regular season began, but this was the first time he'd been moved over in a game. And he admits it came as a surprise when he was told of the switch a couple of minutes before taking the field.

"I was free to go all out with no ball to snap. I was able to play a lot quicker," said Satele, last year's second-round pick. "It really doesn't brother me. Whatever the team needs I'm there. They can put me at left tackle."

If Johnson grades out better than Satele in the handful of snaps he played it could prompt the Dolphins to explore a long-term switch, examining whether Satele, who is noted for his athleticism, might be more effective as a pulling guard.

Al Johnson rushed into the center of things -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Just like you noted, a lot of people wanted to see Satele at Guard after last year. They felt he may be an even better guard then Center.

Dr. Z even spoke of this last year. And I respect Dr. Z a lot (about the only one of a few who write about the NFL).

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  3. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It seemed fairly effective. I would most certainly try against the Chiefs this week. Johnson is a classic C and when healthy a good one. I really like this type of formation against 3-4 teams specifically because it allows the quick guards to attack the linebackers. If it can effective against the 4-3 it'll be wonderful because what will happen is this:

- Ronnie is fed the ball in the backfield with Martin in the slot, left side, two WRs.
    - Long blocks Coleman right, Alleman rushes through and hits Barton, Johnson struggles but handles Jenkins long enough that Ronnie can get to the outside negating the impact of Jenkins.
    - By this time Satele will get straight into Pace.

- Ronnie will be sprung for a large gain since Martin can block out a safety from the play. Carey will hold the backside against Ellis, Fasano against Bryan Thomas.

padre31 likes this.
  4. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Can Satele beat out Donald Thomas? Where do these two stand against each other at the G position?

5. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    From what i saw from the PS games and the Jet's game their is just about no way Satele would beat Donald Thomas out.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Could be that Donald Thomas moves to RT if we don't resign Vern Carey, that would open a spot long term at Center..

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sure shoot yourself in the foot why don't you? Guy who has looked very good at RG moving to an isolated island instead of paying cash to a guy who has played better of late again and won't cost that much.

We have cap room. Getting cheap and letting so and so and so go is not an option this year. Free agency is not that talented this year, we only have so many picks, and getting cheap is a terrible idea.

Smiley will take one spot if healthy while Satele will probably have a last shot at C with Johnson in the mix.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It won't be a question of cheap Jaj, it will be more a question of upgrading the RT slot and the RG slot with guys who are better.

Vern Carey is a wildcard in all of this, what will his salary demands be? LT or RT money? Has he earned the contract?

For me, "no" Vern just hasn't played THAT well this year, but I'm just a fan.

late again likes this.
  9. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    If Carey is re-signed which imo is more likely now then it was a few weeks ago we could possibly see Donald Thomas at center with Satele playing left guard and Smiley over at right guard. I don't think this scenario has a good chance of happening just throwing ideas out there.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In Training Camp, they worked Don Thomas out at LT just to see how he would play, so they are thinking about it (IMO) and a switch of Thomas to RT and Samson to RG would also open up the Center position for a better run blocker/more powerful player then Samson.

If Vern leaves, we could reshape our Oline with "Tuna" guys...

Pure speculation of course though.

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's always possible to be sure. However, Donald Thomas at C does make me curious. It would be something special against 3-4 teams basically making our offense capable of knocking the living **** out of the Patriots front seven. Thomas can handle Wilfork one-on-one just as Gurode does to other 3-4 teams. Not sure how we'd fair against 4-3 teams but as long as your guy isn't terribly slow and your guards not terribly weak (they aren't) they'll be fine against that type of 4-3.

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    :lol: