1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albert being released

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins_Fan_87, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston

I would have kept him.

2. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Were already thin on the Oline. I understand he's getting up in age and has had some injuries but man that hurts. Maybe they can resign him at a lower rate.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You can cut him just based on his performance vs. his cost. He wasn't that good last year even when nominally "healthy"

Meanwhile he's going to miss a handful of games, and you've got to constantly worry at this point that the wheels will fall off entirely.

dolphin25 and thetylernator like this.
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Salguero on the Albert move:

"The Miami Dolphins are taking steps Thursday to improve their 2017 salary cap situation while saying good-bye to a big-name player.

The team is releasing starting left tackle Branden Albert,

In cutting Albert, who started 12 games in 2016, the Dolphins are shedding their third-highest salary cap number scheduled for ‘17. Albert was to cost $10.6 million against the cap this season but Thursday’s move effectively saves the Dolphins at least $7.2 million in cap space and up to $8.9 million if he’s designated a post June 1 cut.

Albert, who had been signed for two more years with the Dolphins, played 35 games during his three seasons in Miami. Indeed, Albert never played a full season as he battled assorted injuries, most notably a career-threatening knee injury in 2014. Albert missed four games last year.

Albert’s injuries, cap situation, and good-but-not great performance led to his release. The fact the Dolphins already have a new starting left tackle on their roster also sealed the decision.

Laremy Tunsil, a first-round draft pick in 2016, will be moving into the starting left tackle spot after starting most of his rookie season at left guard. Coincidentally, it was Albert who took Tunsil under his tutelage to help the rookie succeed in the pros.

Albert, who spent the early portion of his offseason traveling, was informed of the team’s decision Thursday. It did not come as a total surprise. The die was cast on this move when the Dolphins drafted Tunsil last year.

The Dolphins decided it was better to cut Albert, 32, than ask him to play left guard because he hadn’t done that since early in his career and the benefit of the salary cap savings was too attractive.

The Dolphins will be looking to add a left guard in free agency or the draft -- although not early in the draft if they can help it.

Albert, signed by the Dolphins as an unrestricted free agent in 2014, was solid for the team last season. But he had his worst game of the season in the playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, when he gave up one sack and failed to identify a blitzer who had a free rush at quarterback Matt Moore.

The Dolphins knew after that game that Tunsil would be an upgrade at left tackle."

5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Color me surprised. Of all the offseason swirlings I thought the Albert release was the least likely to happen because of his leadership in the locker room and our depth on the offensive line. In reality, the Tunsil pick should have made it more than obvious. Get ready for some new guards I guess.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    This might be a noob FA question but since he had a couple years left on his deal, why not try to trade him rather than just release him? Surely a team desperate for LT talent/depth could have given something in return?

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    His salary numbers.

dolphin25, finsfandan and resnor like this.
  8. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    I don't know the exact answer but I suspect most NFL teams would offer very little due to his enormous injury history/age, his contract which would be overpaying him at this point in his career and the fact we have Tunsil... Even teams that have interest probably knew we were releasing him.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    now for Pouncey...

Puka-head and gunn34 like this.
  10. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    And renegotiating wouldn't have been an option?

Just not sure why you wouldn't keep him even as a backup, or do something to get value for him. I suppose there just isn't much that could be done. Otherwise I'm sure the Dolphins would have done it.

11. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I've seen people saying it won't happen this year because of the guaranteed money. It'll happen next year if things don't improve.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Expected. Tunsil is going to improve over Albert at LT. Bushrod will be easy to improve upon even with a lower tiered guard signing. The only question is whether they go FA or draft for a LG.

There was nothing to re-negotiate. LT is Tunsil's job now. Albert will not play Guard (and why would you..he'd take even more punishment inside). The team needs to improve it's overall health on the OL. Constant shuffling is not good at all.

gunn34 likes this.
  13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nobody wants that contract/cap hit of his. Not for a player of his declining quality, declining health, and age at that kind of cap number.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    We can still keep him, but cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Hope we get Ron Leary

16. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We have to be looking to add a left guard in free agency or the draft. I would hope in FA because Tunsil would probably like to have a vet by his side. We have two guard spots to get and possibly a center too.

17. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I take it back. Someone sign me up for the Dolphins front office. :)

danmarino and SocaCasualuk like this.
  18. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I would rather sign a LG for $5-$6 mil who will actually play 16 games and move Tunsil to LT. That's much better than paying Albert big money when he will likely miss 4 games or more again.

gunn34 and dolphin25 like this.
  19. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Miami is getting more realistic. Why pay top dollar and depend on a player , who is constantly hurt or suspended. Dion Jordan is next, Misi is next and Pouncey better watch out. It is nice to have a healthy Brandon Albert, but it doesn't happen enough.

dolphin25 likes this.
  20. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The writing was on the wall with Tunsil falling into our lap. Albert is injury prone and expensive. We already have to worry about Pouncey's hips.

21. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Lamp at 22 :)

22. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    amazing how it seems we are always trying to fix the OL huh :)

23. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Definitely realistic, right now, with not knowing what's going on with free agency. I don't want them drafting Lamp and kicking him over to the right side though, I keep him on the left and sign Kevin Zeitler who is a plug and play at RG.

dolphin25 likes this.
  24. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    This is tough, as we REALLY need two decent Guards now with Albert departing one way or another. We also REALLY need a decent LB/DE at #22. I would be fine if we could get two FA Guards and focus the draft on defense. That makes for a VERY expensive OL, but at least it would be 'fixed' (unless Pouncey goes down again).

Hmm, if we can't get the defense completely fixed this year (and we probably can't given we need a MLB/OLB/DE/CB/DT) then why not get the offense all set with the OL and a stud TE? Very tempting to at least have one side of the ball as a strength, instead of both sides being better but not 'good enough'.

25. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I can't think of many offseasons ever where a team like ours fixed all or most of its issues. The good news is we've got promise at LT with Tunsil, plus he can fill in at LG if necessary. LB success rate in the draft is higher than all other positions, I believe. At the very least, LG and RG are easier to fill with talent than LT.

Although I'm still not convinced this is a playoff team and I don't have much faith in our HC, I'm optimistic that we'll be solid at either LG/RG and MLB.