1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All lined up: Long's contract nearly set

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    The Dolphins don't have to make the No. 1 pick until 10 minutes after the NFL Draft begins Saturday, but it appears that they won't have to wait that long to get the player they want - Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long.

Negotiations between the Dolphins and Long's agent, Tom Condon, have reached the point that a contract could be announced any day, an NFL source told The Palm Beach Post on Monday.

The source said "there's a very good chance" Long will sign before the draft begins at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The Dolphins declined to comment; Condon did not return a call seeking reaction.

If the Dolphins sign Long - a two-time All-America for the Wolverines - he would fill a major void for a franchise burdened by a shaky offensive line throughout its six-year playoff drought.

Miami has two starting spots open on the line, including one of the tackles. Ideally, Long would play on the left side, allowing Vernon Carey, the 19th overall pick in 2004, to move back to right tackle, where he played during his first three seasons with the Dolphins.

But Long, who is 6-feet-7 and 315 pounds, will have to prove he can handle the top speed rushers at the pro level.

"You never know how good a guy's feet are and how quick his feet really are until you see him block a great speed rusher in the NFL," said Hall of Fame offensive tackle Dan Dierdorf, a longtime TV analyst and an All-America at Michigan in 1970.

Long often dominated during 40 starts at Michigan, including 30 at left tackle. But when he did struggle, it was against speed.

Long allowed the lone sack of his senior season to the player considered the top pass rusher in the draft, Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon Gholston. In the Buckeyes' 14-3 victory, Gholston finished with four tackles for a loss, including three sacks.

Gholston said he hopes performances like that have kept him on the Dolphins' radar.

"There's been a lot of speculation of deals being done, but at the end of the day the Dolphins will take the guy they want," Gholston told The Post on Monday. "I think I've shown them what I can do.

"I fit their system well. I have a lot of attributes as far as the speed and know I can be a player in the 3-4 defense. Hopefully I'm that decision."

Gholston wasn't the only speed rusher to excel against Long's Wolverines.

Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey, who is expected to be a top-20 pick this weekend, finished with two sacks during a 41-35 loss to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl. But Florida coaches moved Harvey up and down the line of scrimmage to avoid Long and capitalize on mismatches.

"I look at Jake against non-burning speed guys, he's a dominant tackle," said TV-radio analyst Randy Cross, a former NFL offensive lineman. "But when he saw that speed, he had a little trouble.

"That's a direct reflection of what you're going to see on a weekly basis in the NFL."

If Long doesn't thrive as a left tackle in the pros, he likely would be a great fit on the right side, where run-blocking is the priority.

"He has a perfect offensive-lineman mentality," said Jim Brandstatter, who played offensive tackle for the Wolverines from 1969 through '71 and has been the team's radio analyst for the past 28 seasons. "He has a mean streak. He plays to the whistle. He likes burying guys and takes pride in that."

Even offensive linemen who don't live up to their billing usually end up helping their teams.

Oakland selected Iowa tackle Robert Gallery with the No. 2 pick in 2004, but moved him to left guard last season. He excelled there a year after allowing 101/2 sacks in 10 games as a left tackle.

In 1989, Tony Mandarich - one of the biggest busts in NFL history - was drafted No.'2 overall, one spot ahead of Barry Sanders. Green Bay cut Mandarich after just three seasons. But he returned to football five seasons later and played guard for the Indianapolis Colts from 1996 through '98.

"He's no Tony Mandarich," Dierdorf said of Long. "I can't envision a scenario where he doesn't make it."

Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. also said that using the No. 1 pick to select Long - the top player in a deep pool of offensive tackles - would be "a good thing" and "a safe thing."

"You're getting a nice return on your investment," Kiper said. "There's not going to be a bust at this spot."

The Dolphins also could end up with a perennial Pro Bowler, because Long is a special athlete. He is well-proportioned and leaner than the average tackle. His 37 bench-press reps of 225 pounds at the Scouting Combine were matched only by Gholston.

At Lapeer East High School in Michigan, Long played basketball and baseball as well as football. He could hit 450-foot home runs and consistently run 11/2 miles in under 10 minutes in physical education class.

"No one can believe a kid his size could do that," said Brad Gerlach, who coached Long in high school.

link
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...olphins_0422.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    looks more and more like longs our guy.....

and it looks mroe and more like a smoke screen.....i dunno if we will find out till saturday haha

3. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    790 says, according to Mort, a contract been agreed upon, conference later today.

Phinperor, SICK and ATVZ400 like this.
  4. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Just saw it on Breaking News via ESPN that a contract has been agreed upon and Jake is our pick come Saturday.

5. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

Sources: Dolphins agree to deal Long, will select OT No. 1 overall
    The Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and will select him with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's draft, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The announcement will come at a 1:45 p.m. news conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

6. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

Great job Sam :up:

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Wouldn't it be funny we signed him for less money then trade him on draft day and draft either Chris Long or Gholston?

SICK likes this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hahahaha^^^

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Good. I am very happy we have him signed and very happy we went O line. The only thing I am not happy about is that there won't be any suspense at 3PM. :D

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Cause honestly I think Either Chris or Vernon would not hold out and we could move somewhere in the top 5.