1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALLEDGED - Penn State sex scandal prompts 2 resignations

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BigDogsHunt, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    ALLEDGED - Penn State child sex scandal prompts 2 resignations

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57319464/penn-state-sex-scandal-prompts-2-resignations/

Aside from Odrick & Wake, how many other Penn State Footballer's do we roster???? Any???
    Sad, lots to discuss, this is just heating up, and wont be swept under the rug. What say you all???

I am disappointed in so many "authority" figures and their lack of compassion toward innocent youth involved.

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

Yes, this is a real book.

Bumrush, finyank13, SICK and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'd also poke fun at this situation, but I think it'd be better to keep my nose out of this one. This situation will be fingered enough as it may be.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA

[​IMG]

5. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

6. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Read the 24 page grand jury findings......holy crap, not only is there a special place in Hell for a dude who does this stuff(allegedly) there should be a special meeting arranged by the victims/family

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

lol

8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah if penn state helped cover this up, including paterno, I hope they nail them all as well.

gafinfan and Fin D like this.
  9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    They all deserve prison and hell. Paterno and especially McQueary included.

gafinfan, MikeHoncho and Nappy Roots like this.
  10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    There's a few people in Prison who would "nail" them as well.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  11. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    From what I read from the grand jury, McQueary ran it up the chain. Why does he deserve Hell? What did or didn't he do?

12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    We can start by him witnessing the crime taking place and not stopping it. What type of gutless bastard sees such a horrific crime taking place and runs to daddy. He should have stopped this crime from taking place, and called the police right then and there. Only a real scumbag wouldn't have. Secondly, ran it up the chain? Are you ****ting me? Coaches and Athletic Directors aren't the chain he needs to be running this up. Not only is that morally wrong, but it's breaking at least 2 laws. Misprision of a felony, and Failure to Report Child Abuse/Neglect, which is a felony in many states.

gafinfan, Fin D, salmael and 3 others like this.
  13. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Gutless bastard? Really? And how do YOU handle that? Do you knock the pedophile out and call the cops? Are you really that big of a BAMF? Great use of misprision, however McQueary was NOT in a position of authority, nor did he actively cover anything up, but nice try. Under the circumstances, McQueary did nothing wrong by first calling someone he trusts, asking for advice and then reporting it. Once he reported it to Paterno, it was out of his hands. Is he responsible for what happens after that. No....Check that HELL no!

Are there pending charges against McQueary? Nope...that's what I thought so save all the Internet tough guy talk.

EDIT: For good measure....read this..http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203733504577024501911173344.html?mod=googlenews_wsj. The men who stepped down may not have had any legal obligation to report this. Where you and I agree here is they had a MORAL obligation.

14. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It's called common sense and morals, and sadly, there's not a lot of it in today's world apparently. But, but, but he wasn't legally obligated... Who gives a flying ****. Pathetic. Defending gutless bastards because they did what was legally obligated of them instead of using common ****ing sense. Joe Paterno, immoral scumbag. McQueary, even bigger immoral scumbag and a giant vagina to boot. But, at least he did what he was legally obligated to do. **** calling the police right then and there. Don't have the morals or common sense to do that. Guess it's good to know that I wasn't raised to be some douche who would just fail to report to the correct authorities should I ever bear witness to a serious crime being committed.

gafinfan, Uncle Rico, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  15. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    damm right you try to knock the pedophile out if you fail you get your own bum raped but you go out like a man and not a little ***** this has nothing to do with being a BAMF its being a human being.

16. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    And guess what, part of being human is freezing at a moment such as this. Is the janitor that saw Sandusky blowing a kid in 2000 as accountable? What about the people who investigated him in '98? Or the University VP who knew about the investigation in '98 and did nothing?

You're talking abou not the first person, not the second person, but the THIRD ****ING PERSON who either witnessed this and actually spoke up to someone with enough juice to do something about it, and he is the ***** for not knocking the guy out? Now doesn't a University Vice president have an equal or higher legal obligation to do something about it 4 years before McQueary witnessed anything?

This is the problem with anything about children, common sense goes straight out the window.

Jaj likes this.
  17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Anyone who saw this and didn't report it to the cops are wrong.

gafinfan, salmael, finyank13 and 3 others like this.
  18. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Climb down from the soapbox tough guy and don't preach morality to me. If you read the whole grand jury findings you know that this was all known to the Mr. Shultz, a university VP who didn't do jack in 1998. He speaks up, and brings the police report we aren't even talking about a janitor or a GA. Is the Janitor equally gutless as a Korea vet who "saw buddies guts and limbs blown off but this was the most disturbing thing I had ever seen", who was so shaken to the core that his coworkers thought he was having a heart attack?

19. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Agree to disagree

20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm not going to preach morality to you. What's the point? You have no morals. I'm going to assume you're just a Penn State fan since nobody in their right mind other than a Penn State homer will defend such despicable actions from these losers. A bunch of losers not going to the police because they might lose their jobs if they don't go to university officials. Pathetic. The Janitor, GA, and Paterno are directly responsible for all the kids who got sexually abused after they failed to report to the right people. And that's that. They could of ended it right then and there, but they didn't, so hopefully they live with a guilty conscience the rest of their lives, they deserve it.

21. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I'll go ahead and answer this through PM instead of turning this into a further measuring contest

22. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sandusky is a big dude. Who knows how McQueary reacted while witnessing a child being raped. I'd like to think that if it was me, I'd knock the old bastard out with a folding chair, WWF-style.

However, even if you don't take action to stop the rape, you IMMEDIATELY CALL THE COPS! The end. No debate.

Phyl and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  23. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I don't understand how you can disagree with that statement. It's pretty straight forward.

24. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I disagree on the grounds of under what obligation we talking? Legally or morally? People seem to confuse the two. I'm willing to bet the same people flying off the handle here are the same ones who flipped when Casey Anthony was found not guilty. The jury had a moral obligation to convict that dumb chick, but legally they couldn't. In this situation they had a moral obligation, and a highly questionable legal obligation to report. The police were already once involved 2-4 years prior and did nothing more than investigate. The police failed them once, why would one trust them again?

25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I never said it was a legal obligation. I don't know the law for that state, but as was pointed out, some states might have penalties for failure to report a crime against children. And come one the police failed them once before why trust them again? You are reaching now.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  26. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I am absolutely stunned anyone can defend Paterno on this matter, where the hell are your morals?? He should have done more to protect innocent and vulnerable children from getting raped by some sick bastard.

If anyone really thinks he did enough they are just as immoral and repungent as the people at Penn State who enabled Sandusky to commit these sick and disgusting acts, not to mention totally clueless.

27. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Actually, I'm not reaching. This guy was investigated by the Pennsylvania State Police in 1998 for an "inappropriate shower", with no charges resulting.

http://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/pm_105257/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=QDkJ7tTO

http://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/pm_105257/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=lewgHw1E

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site515/2011/1105/20111105_094921_4page.pdf

Shall I go on?

28. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Yes you should. It's still a reach. You are trying to make penn state look like a battered wife, when obviously, another offense would have helped convict the guy.

29. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Also, as I pointed out earlier ITT, it is unclear whether a university falls under child abuse reporting laws. And that's the rub here. Morally, I have zero doubt they should have reported it, investigated it more thoroughly, and done more. Legally, it is murky as they have zero children under their direct care like elementary schools(I personally expect some law changes after this fiasco).

If anything, PSU looks no better than the Catholic Church if they turned a blind eye. They will cut a few checks, fire some staff, enact strict rules in regards to children on campus and move on. But the point still remains that the system failed the victims and their families by not acting sooner.

30. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Laces Out, your logic is all over the place.

Yes, we all are aware that there is no law that says if you witness a crime, you must notify the police. SO WHAT?!?!? Anyone who doesn't call the cops on a child-rapist is a sick bastard. Joe Paterno included. Sick bastards, all of em!

31. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Nope it isn't. Thanks though. I have maintained that legally its murky, morally it isn't. Took it a step further and said there is a special place in hell for guys like Sandusky.

32. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Again I never said they were legally obligated. Morally, yes. Do I hope they can go after them by any means for help covering it up, yes. Just like I did when they found out the catholic church was moving molesting priests around. You don't cover up a crime like this. The thing that bothers me the most, is guys like paterno, could have done more and simply didn't. They instead just passed it on. Now rather that was because sandusky was his friend, or he didn't believe it, then I can see the conflict somewhat. But after more then one allegation, I don't see how you can just turn a blind eye to your friends doings.

Fin D likes this.
  33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    As with Nixon it wasnt the crime, it was the cover-up...1998?? 2002? I cant help to think this was in the self-serving interest of "Pa" to keep this hush as not to tarnish his legacy either too....

He and everybody else are to blame for not calling the State Police...sometimes these institutions truly believe they are above the law, some of them have full autonomy, some don't pay taxes....well guess what you aren't above crap, and the State Police should nail these dirty ***** to the wall with as many charges as possible for all of them....

Happy Valley was once the gold standard for higher education..."The Stanford of the East".....well at this point you aren't any better than GED program in jail....

have fun with your new found fame State College.....

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Somewhere in nearby Pennsylvania there's a priest angrily thinking "Son of a *****, that's 11 more than I had!".

Bumrush likes this.
  35. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    He's leaving at the end of the season. He should be leaving now.

Fin D, Nappy Roots and unluckyluciano like this.
  36. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    NYT is reporting that his retirement is effective at the end of the year but no one knows yet if the university will even let him coach this week vs Nebraska.

They better make a decision soon. Most of these coaches have to give post game pressers and if they wont allow him to do they he cannot fulfill his contractual obligations.

Personally, I have zero problems with him going out on his own terms. 60 years on that campus, 46 as a HC hes earned it. He did his moral duty imo by going to the people above him, his AD, with said information. Its his AD's responsibility to handle it. Its the university presidents responsibility to handle criminal action. Joe Pa is an employee of a state run university, he has bosses like most every one else. If we discovered a product we sold was harmful it is our responsibility to report it to our boss and then our bosses responsibility to escalate it to see how we want to handle things internally and then report it to the authorities. There is a chain of command and Paterno followed it. That no one else did anything is what is wrong with this picture. IMO of course.

Anonymous and Stitches like this.
  37. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    He could have blown the whistle. He's Joe Paterno for ****s sake, what the hell would they have done to them, if he went above his bosses heads?

Fin D likes this.
  38. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Woah woah waoh? what? If you hear one of your fellow employees is molesting kids in the bathroom do you go tell you boss because its their job to handle it? What? We are usually on the same page with things Boik, but you are just way off on this.

39. salmael

salmael Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    It's hard for me to understand how anyone can defend Paterno or McQueary, as both of them only did enough to cover their asses and protect their self interests. McQueary is the worse though, how can a Man witness something like that and not act. Not only did he fail himself as a Man being by not directly dealing(hospitalizing) with Sandusky at the moment he discovered the attack, he also failed himself as a human being by choosing to protect his future in football by going to Paterno rather than the proper authorities. He then compounded those failures everyday that he continued to say nothing after it was clear that Paterno and company were covering the rape up. As for Paterno what a hypocrite, after all these years of putting himself out there as the fatherly teacher and leader of moral young men, he chose to spend the last 9 years covering his *** rather than do right thing; heck of message to send to the team. For anyone who wants to stand behind the defense that McQueary and Paterno fulfilled their obligation under the law, I hope the following words sink in.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

40. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Going to your AD and making the school president aware of what was happening isnt enough? Since when?

Understand that Sandusky directly reported to Paterno but that doesnt mean Paterno had sole right to hire and fire Sandusky because contractually the university is the one paying Sandusky's salary. Im not sure Im the one off base here bro. Paterno could have done more but its not his position alone to make these decisions. There are people above him on the totem pole and those are the people responsible for making the decisions. It is the AD's and school president's position to handle it, thats why the AD was the first one fired and thats why the university president is probably the next one out. Paterno has some culpability there but its not nearly at the level the media wants to make it seem.

The university is handling it wrong from day one. The second Paterno came to them with the issue it should have been handled immediately. Instead they kind of swept it under the rug and hoped it would go away. Thats one of the reasons this is blowing up now. One of the first things you learn in any PR or advertising class when dealing with disasters, you deal with it as quickly as you can so to avoid a drawn out process like this. You dont want the story to linger, you want to get you company or in this case schools name out of the negative spotlight as soon as possible. Paterno is neither a PR guy nor a school authority. He is a football coach, a legend, but he is still an employee and there are still people who rank above him on the university totem pole. And thats why the blame lies at the feet of the AD and school president moreso then Paterno.

Stitches likes this.