1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allegedly Sparano Offered and Accepted Job

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Jan 5, 2008.

1. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Okay, maybe poor wording on my part.

If a team has it's sights set on coach A (who is white) from the very beginning and they only bring in coach B (who is black) because they don't want a call from the NFL, is that interview really legit? Does coach B really get a fair chance (the spirit of the rule)? Or is it just a way for the team to be PC and get their guy (coach A) without the hassle?

To me I see it as a show nd nothing more for some teams. Leslie Frazer is supposed to be interviewing for the Miami job, do you really think that Miami is thinking of hiring anyone other than Sparano? Do anyof these guys (white or black) have a shot?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    All good questions, and reasonablly argued applying the Rooney Rule.

Q: If a team has it's sights set on coach A (who is white) from the very beginning and they only bring in coach B (who is black) because they don't want a call from the NFL, is that interview really legit?

A: Absolutely legit as an interview presuming the interview is conducted traditionally and critique is provided back to help Coach B for the next interview where he is the Top Choice potentially.

Q: Does coach B really get a fair chance (the spirit of the rule)? Or is it just a way for the team to be PC and get their guy (coach A) without the hassle?

A: Yes, cause the chance is the INTERVIEW not the HIRE. Its not about being PC its about abiding by a rule that was voted on and passed that states you must INTERVIEW a minority candidate. That avoids the hassle, not the PC-ness of it. They agreed and passed the rule therefore it must be followed and not nit-picked about.

Q: Leslie Frazer is supposed to be interviewing for the Miami job, do you really think that Miami is thinking of hiring anyone other than Sparano? Do anyof these guys (white or black) have a shot?

A: Leslie Frazer will be INTERVIEWING for the Miami HC position - that doesnt guarantee anything about the JOB or an Offer. Of course I would state that Frazer is not at the top of the list to hire, but he is on the list and satisfies the rule at the same time. Heck, Crennel would seem to be at the top of the list but he is under contract, so once that is decided does it matter who else is on the list, what order? The only thing that matters to the Rooney rule is that a minority/black has to be on the list and interviewed as well. So if Frazer gets his opportunity this go round, and benefits from it (which only he can answer) I cant begrudge Rooney or this rule, since WAYNE/BILL/JEFF will still HIRE the guy they want or at least settle for the guy available and ends up as the next best one in their mind to Crennel.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  3. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one bud, I think the legitimacy of the interview is seriously in doubt when a team already knows who they want and only bring in a minority to avoid the call from the NFL. JMO

4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    But that is what the Rooney Rule is about and forces the NFL to do. Why claim that its a problem, when the OWNERS voted for it and know the rule!

5. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Because the only reason they are bringing in a minority candidate is to avoid getting that call from the NFL or any disciplinary action that accompanies it. If there was no Rooney rule, that minority coach wouldn't even be thought of in most cases and that leads me to believe that the interview isn't going to benefit the coach in any way. He is just getting a free lunch because of the color of his skin.

Again, I think the rule implies that the interview be sincere and genuine, bringing in a guy to avoid the call is not sincere or genuine.

And not all owners/coaches/players follow the rules ;)

6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    They are bringing in a black/minority candidate because the OWNERS voted and passed a rule that stated they had to.

The NFL enforces the rule and penalities are issued if you fail to follow and obey the rule.

Of course if there was no Rooney Rule owners would probably bring in 1 guy and only 1 guy cause that is the one they want. That was the old way, and Rooney wanted to see a change and especially see a change that FORCED interviews for minorities (or led to a fine, etc). It has accomplished that.

Lets try this analogy....

I hate having to stop at a red light when no other cars are around. What ticks me off is that we passed a rule that states all cars must stop at a red light even if no other cars are around. And I get real mad that a Cop has the nerve to fine and ticket me when I know I can safely go through the red light when no other cars are around. Its just dumb that a rule like this exists, it wastes my time, and it doesnt do anything to prevent that eventually I am going to go though that intersection anyway, I just have to wait till its no longer a red light. Stupid rule. Stupid cop that enforces that rule.

7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I understand that bro, but I feel that the interviews are more of a "lets get this over with" type deal than what the rule implies "a fair chance at a job".

Not the same, we weren't debating the rule itself, just the way that the owners/GM's deal with it. My opinion is that the rule was in place to give minorities a fair chance at a job, some teams don't allow a fair chance because they already have their mind made up. Again, JMO

Agree to disagree

8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I was. Cause if you read the rule, then no need to interpret how owners/gm deal with it. Its self explanatory, you deal with the rule by dealing with the language. Dont read into it.

Agree to disagree:up: