1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alright, I forgive you.more juice please.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Nov 17, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    For last week..moving forward, we have a big game next week, so we'd like to see the same type of effort out of you, with a little extra juice.

First time I saw defensive players leaving their feet and jumping on other defenders when they made plays..that's what we want to see..more juice.

Daniel Thomas should be the starter against Carolina, the kid has not put the ball on the ground all season, he's got hella cutting ability, and today he ran with a violent nature, that's all I know moving forward, don't care what he's shown in the past, he deserves the start, and I'm sure his oline would agree..it's the right one two punch ya know, loosen them up, then let the finesse player miller have the space he needs to run..

Lamar miller I think has open field anxiety.

How bout this for a conspiracy theory...Pouncey, Cognito, and Martin were in a rotten trio of misbehavior..line looked better to me no without them in the locker room?, they sure as hell communicated well, Ryan was playing with his snap count a lot, and they needed to be on the same page, and they were...I'm not sure is was Brenner or that other guy in the preseason we cut, but I didn't think that guy could play ball in this league..

Charles Clay was our leading receiver..he ran with violence and is really developing into something better than I ever imagined, really nice call by some early in his career ( d-Pate for sure used to tell me not to give up on him)...Rodney Harrison on Clay.."that guy is a player right there, he's a great football player"..wow..

Well, if you include Clay, Matthews, Hartline, Gibson, Keller, Wallace for next year, were kinda set with the skill players ya know..of course we'll see where they are in their injuries and if a dominant tight end shows itself in the draft, things can change, but if they are on par to start the season, it gives us some flexibility to go defense, and oline, and running back during the offseason..

Man that reporter on Sunday nite football is cute as hell, face like a furry peach..

We did not allow the chargers to score a TD on their last 10 drives, but we allowed 7 yards per play, and over 5 yards a carry, I don't understand how we can win playing this loose of a defense..

I know it's been said, but man does Patterson being out change our complexion, the drop off to Carroll is steep.

Brent grimes is worth the resign, he's smart, he's incredibly athletic, and he doesn't get fazed in big situations..totally read that last play, and the int to perfection..looks like that Achilles is a ok..bout a 40 inch vert on that last one.

Randy Starks played a good game..

Wake had a good game..

Linebackers didnt..

My favorite look when Dion Jordan is in the game is when he lines up at middle linebacker on passing situations, he's able to freestyle a bit and use his incredible range and athleticism..when he lines up at d- end he seemingly hasn't learned from college the instinct to go back to the inside on an outside pass rush.

Ryan Tannehill played a pretty good game..finally the bootleg game was part of the scheme, both sides, a little read option better than nothing, I'd still run a hell of a lot more, he was obviously successful on most of those plays..it's unfortunate he has lost the part of his brain that runs for first downs when the play is not there..

Looking back at some plays, Charlie Clay is coming off the Los like a freight train man, it seems like when he knows the offense it really has effected his play speed in a good way.

It's weird but the health of dimitri oatterson might determine our fate.

If he's in, I have confidence, not at all when he's not..

Ryan Tannehill never has games like some qbs in this league, Geno smiths game, 30%, 4 turnovers..tellin you, he's got a hitch in his swing, and it is susceptible to swats in a game if inches and seconds.

Very proud of our fans for not abandoning the team, 60,000 is a sellout in some stadiums..that was its lowest point, I was happy to see that, it tells me that there is a large core of fans like me.I doubt we'll hear a story on how impressive the turnout was..it would be nice though to give the guys somethin to smile about..

Padre, if you call Thigpen thiggy one more time, I'm asking the mods for your address..lol..nicknames like that come from consistent solid play..that guy had a bad game...again..

Is this a true or false statement..the oline had it's best game without Pouncey, Cognito, and Martin?

The best thing about this game, it rewarded the fans that showed up..

And, we are right there for a playoff run..

mbsinmisc, MikeHoncho, Bpk and 7 others like this.
  2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Im over Thigpen. . So so over it. Im tired of being afraid whenever the ball goes his way. Idk.

3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

But how does his bubble look DJ?? :lol:

I kid because I care...

But seriously, Charles Clay may be our best offensive player. It's interesting because had Dustin Keller not blown out his knee, I wonder where Charles Clay would be? Would we have had the sense to use both players at the same time? I have a feeling no....

Right about Carroll. I don't know why some fans are so down on Patterson. They should be praying that he can get his groin issue finally worked out. Had, I forget who it was, the Chargers receiver not slipped on that in cut, he probably gets at least a first down and maybe a td, instead Carroll drops the ball and the Chargers settle for the field goal. Huge slip on the slippery field eh?

I think you're right about needing to address the o line and running back on offense in the offseason, the rest of the guys on offense might just be good enough. Certainly not in the category of MUST UPGRADE. Defense on the other hand, would draft two linebackers and depending on what happens with Soliai/Starks at least one maybe two d tackles.

Even saw Watkins get in for a drive there in the 2nd quarter in place of Brenner... was glad to see Brenner come back for the second half (I'm guessing the coaches were just rotating them there). Watkins did not look ready. And Brenner had a couple of nice pulls. He looked really at his best on those pulls IMO. And then Garner played very stout at center. I wonder what his size does for us on some inside stuff instead of Pouncey. How that changes our plan of attack there. You put Pouncey at RG, with Brenner at LG, and you have two quick guards that can pull and actually get out in front of some of those screens to the backs and wide receivers... you know the ones that Sherman thinks we can still execute no matter who we have lined up on the line...:pity:

MrClean likes this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't know about Brenner for the future, would love to hear someone's opinion who could isolate him in this game??

Was he the guy who looked overmatched in preseason or was it another guy, I know we cut somebody who I thought was him?

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I literally just got done watching that Clay TD 15 times. Can't get enough of it. Love to see that we have weapons that can do those things. There is now a permanent imprint of Marcus Gilchrist in the Sun Life turf.

6. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    I believe I heard we played a lot of man blocking today rather than zone? Maybe that had an effect?

Or maybe that statement is 100% wrong?

Bpk likes this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I'll forgive them for the Bucs game if they beat the Jets handily in 2 weeks when I'm sitting in Metlife having to look at so many puke green jerseys all around. I don't want to have to regret going.

8. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    He's made me nervous all season. I don't trust him either.

9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Well, we would have had to cut him to put him on the Practice squad.

I'm curious about how he measured out as well. I know the coaching staff reportedly liked him back in pre-season. This team could very well need to find 4 starting offensive linemen this off-season. It would be nice if someone like Brenner or Watkins could show enough to trust one of the positions to them.

10. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    He looked overmatched in preseason, but then so did most of our OL. I seem to recall someone on here (CK?) saying that you'd be surprised who the coaches were very up on as he hadn't shown anything in the preseason games, and that it was Brenner.

Agree with you about the Miller open field anxiety, he really has to just trust his speed sometimes. The one run where he got to the secondary, he tried to juke out the safety when there was open field to the right of him and a chance for a TD. It's not the first time he's done that this season.

djphinfan and Bpk like this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The up-and-down factor in peoples' opinions can be amazing sometimes.

Daniel Thomas keeps being forgiven for his bust status every time he has one good game. He had a GOOD game. There's no taking away from that. However he's averaging the same 3.7 yards per carry this season that he did in his first two years in the league. Or at least close to what he averaged in those years. But one good game that involves 10 carries and it's like wow this dude has turned the corner.

Yeah I'm gonna call bull sh-t on him having turned the corner. He had a good game against a porous defense. Lamar Miller is still averaging nearly a yard better per carry.

But now Lamar Miller is going to have a good game and we're going to get "I was wrong, Lamar Miller is a premier tailback in the NFL" threads or some such.

Just keep everything in perspective.

Same thing is true for Charles Clay. He made an incredible play yesterday. But he's still the same guy that's dropped 6 passes, blown a whole lot of blocks, gotten dumb penalties at times, etc. You have to look at the production as a whole. He's a good player. He's not yet shown that he's someone you want to be your #1 tight end, IMO.

Steve-Mo, schmolioot and Nappy Roots like this.
  12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

If Thomas ran like he did yesterday, he would be a serviceable back. Problem is, he doesn't usually run like that, then every once in a while he gets something up his *** and decides to run really hard. And he looks really good.

It's the story of his career so far.

mbsinmisc, ckparrothead and Bpk like this.
  13. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I've been wanting to see D Thomas get more touches because he's had several games this season where he has been hitting and running harder than Miller.

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This may be true, but a big part of it was facing one of the worst defensive fronts in the NFL.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Then the coaches need to keep something up his *** all the time.

Ew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nappy Roots likes this.
  16. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Hate to keep harping on Carroll but..Who didnt breathe a sigh of relief that they threw Grimes way on the last play. I have 0% confidence that Carroll breaks up that play. 0%!! The drop off from him and Patterson is a cliff dive. Not only did the Charger slipping stop an easy reception..it brought to focus that Nolan uses a large dose of ball repellant all over his hands!

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As a defense, the San Diego Chargers had the equivalent of what our defense had against Cincinnati in Week 9 which was a nightmare of missed tackles.

They had 12 missed tackles. Brian Hartline caused a missed tackle for crying out loud. The guy creates a missed tackle once every 9 games.

Daniel Thomas creating 4 missed tackles was excellent...but in that context, it means you've got to see a heck of a lot more than just those 10 carries before you annoint the man.

18. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    CK, I think people got excited because it looked like he ran hard,was decisive and broke some tackles, Miller's yards after contact is almost non existent.I still see Miller as a change of pace back. We need a thumper and short yardage back on this roster.Thomas is the only back that can offer that..need to be upgraded obviously

19. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i donĀ“t know, i still believe in miller, give him 20 carries and you have a decent chance of getting a big play here and there.

what is happening to our run D ??? this is the area i take the most pride going into a game with my buddies ready to give me **** about my "sorry *** team"...its not existent, shows up in spurts but is not reliable at all....starks and soliai are free agents, they better show that they can stop the run, also the linebacker switch looks more bad each week, i would love to have dansby and burnett still on this team by now

20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    LOL..thats the stat of the day for me

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    We saw what happens when the moveable force meets the stoppable object. This time the stoppable object won.

ckparrothead likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes. They do.

However Lamar Miller is much more salvageable than Daniel Thomas. In the end this is a yard-gaining job and to put it simply, Miller is better at gaining yards than Thomas. He's averaging 4.5 yards per carry behind a terrible OL. Last year he averaged 5.0 yards per carry I believe.

Thomas is averaging 3.7 yards per carry for the third consecutive year (actually 3.6 in the first two years I think, but you get my point).

Why are people in love with yards after contact? Last year Thomas averaged 2.3 yards after contact per carry. That ranked him 34th out of 59 qualifying backs. He's not doing any better this year, the rest of the NFL tailbacks are just doing worse. He's still averaging 2.3 yards after contact per carry. Lamar Miller averages 2.2 yards after contact per carry, and last year he averaged 2.7 yards after contact per carry.

This is a yard gaining position and nobody says the guys have to all gain yards the same way. LeSean McCoy isn't going to gain yards the way Daniel Thomas does. I'm looking for results and Miller gets them more consistently than Daniel Thomas.

Hopefully the Dolphins will get rid of Thomas in the off season so we don't have to keep debating this.

LI phinfan likes this.
  23. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    A good question is how scrappy is the Brent Grimes and Steve Smith matchup going to be?

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I didn't say he turned the corner, I said I think his style and nature at this point and time should get the start..is it that far off considering their contrasting styles and the way Thomas's style seemed to coincide with how this particular line was blocking..??

Clay has definitely showed me a hell of a lot more than I thought he would, I know he's not an elite player, but damn is he better..

I don't have any grand illusions of a Super Bowl run, would just like to improve on last year, and root for the playoffs as long as we can, I'm not forgetting the issues we have, but looking at the playoff race, it seems like a lot of teams are having issues, so some perspective is in order, and if we can get a playoff run, and a better win total than last, then i believe that's progression from year one..so part of me is just being a fan here.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    insert Todd here.

26. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think there's a hope against hope factor where Thomas is concerned. And I think it might be a bit silly when you see guys that just get pulled off the scrap heap like Bobby Rainey and Reshad Jennings have games that have basically blown away most of what Thomas has done in his 3 years here.

27. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Lamar Miller does all the same things people complained about Reggie Bush doing except Miller doesn't make plays.
    Daniel Thomas is clearly the better running back.