1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amendola and McCain going at each other

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Just because they’re teammates now, Danny Amendola and Bobby McCain aren’t done with each other.

The Dolphins wide receiver and cornerback were involved in a classic camp skirmish Monday — some words exchanged, a few shoves and headbutts, no punches thrown — but were quickly shaking hands and being guys again.

It was mild compared to the on-field fight they had when Amendola was with the Patriots, which to McCain’s ejection and a $9,115 fine, but the two had promised to continue to compete.

We’ve been going at it for a couple of years now,” McCain said, via the Miami Herald. “It’s good, competitive nature. He’s the same guy over there on the offensive side of the ball as I am on the defensive side of the ball — that energy, go get it, try to work hard, be competitive. I’m glad he’s on our side. We’re not going to hold any grudges. We’re teammates. We’re brothers.”

And sometimes brothers fight.

The Dolphins were in their air-conditioned bubble, but they were in full pads for the first time Monday, so some of that was natural.

There was also a dust-up between wide receiver Jakeem Grant and first-round safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, which led to the usual talk about competitiveness vs. composure. But when coach Adam Gase was asked about the origins of the “fights,” he was able to joke about it as well, which tells you neither incident was that serious.

“Because it’s not 113 degrees,” Gase said. “Guys are not going to get as tired in there as they would outside.”

As teams close in on the one-week mark of camps, more such incidents will doubtless crop up, as players get tired of practicing against — and looking at — their own guys.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    With all the disrespect this team gets from everyone nationally this team should play like a bunch of rabid dogs this year..

An angry team plays better

3. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The one thing I didn't like about this article was this quote "“Because it’s not 113 degrees,” Gase said. “Guys are not going to get as tired in there as they would outside.” It was our edge in the summertime. Practicing and accumulating to the heat.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  4. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Yea but lightning is a little too hot.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  5. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    He didn't indicate it was because of the lightning. He indicated it was because of the heat.

6. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    They went inside due to lightning concerns not because of the heat. While inside, the lack of heat contributed to the players having more energy to be more "competitive" between plays. That's what Gase was indicating.

Irishman and resnor like this.
  7. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I could be wrong, and I don't have any scientific knowledge to support it, but I think the heat takes it's toll on our guys long term. Sure, we might get used to it compared to the teams up north, but I believe as the season wears on we run out of gas sooner than those cold weather teams.

8. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    You don't have to practice in it to get acclimated. Living in it will do it also. Does it give us an edge to practice in it? Perhaps but that would be more mental I think. I've seen our team get just as gassed from the heat as the other team many times.

I'm sure there have been studies done on the physiology of exertion in heat vs exertion in cold, any med students in the house?

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Amendola was getting the best of him this week, but Amendola starts back for dropping a sure td in scrimmage.