1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America's Most Miserable Sports Cities...

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by brandon27, Apr 13, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Interesting article here, I don't think there is much disputing anything in here. You'll have to check out both links, one for a small article and the top 5, then the other for the complete 10. Whichever you prefer.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/08/sports-atlanta-seattle-biz-sports_cx_tvr_af_0408sportsmisery.html

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/08/sports-atlanta-seattle-biz-sports_cx_tvr_af_0408sportsmisery_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=30000

2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    How can Phoenix be in there? The D-Backs won a World Series and they have only been around for less than 15 years? The Cardinals have always been bad, but the Coyotes have been decent, and so have the Suns for many years. They also have more golf courses than any other city.

3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Football is obviously heavily weighted. Although this year has been the worst in Miami history for ALL sports. We should be #1 right now. Not sure I buy Atl that high either. By the way if you have never won a championship in your cities history you derserve #1 (Buffalo)

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    One horrific year isn't enough to outweigh the years of build-up and let-downs in some of those other cities. Remember, Miami's won 2 championships this decade: Marlins in 03, Heat in 06.

If the bad attitude of fans gets weighted, then New York will always be #1, Philadelphia will always be #2, and Boston will always be #3.

brandon27 likes this.
  5. mf52dolphin

mf52dolphin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    This writer is rating championship, and playoff losses almost more than just awful teams. Phoenix gets hurt with the Suns not being able to win the NBA title when they had legitimate chances to. The writer makes a mistake with Seattle by not counting the 1917 Stanley Cup win, the demise of that same team in 1925, and not counting the Pilots move to become the Bud Lites.
    Also the writer eliminated any city that has had a title in the 5 years, which disqualified St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, and Miami. Each area had legitimate claims.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Detroit? I dont think so... sure the lions are pitifull, and the tigers were for so long, but the wings have basically dominated the league year in, year out since the late 90's. The pistons are always at the top of the league, and were dominant in the bad boys era, and recently theyve been at the top of the league every year too, the tigers have rebounded (aside from this year) I don't think you can include detroit in that list.

7. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    CLEVELAND.....has to be the worst...when was the last time the Indians, Cavs, Browns won anything?

Early 1960's???

8. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'll always consider Philthy the worst sports town with the least knowledgeable fans. Kinda funny because I consider Pitt sports fans to be pretty intelligent.

9. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Atlanta in the number one spot? I guess they forgot the Braves play there. People were incredibly miserable while they were dominating the NL for a decade.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nahhh, just the opposite. Philly fans are the most passionate fans anywhere in the USA, because they care more than anyone else. People say they are bad fans or act like thugs....but people who say this know nothing.

GO PHILLIES, SIXERS, AND FLYERS.......GOOD THING I AM NOT AN IGGLE'S FAN LIKE MY DAD WHO IS FROM THERE. :lol:

11. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree they are passionate. I just think they arent very knowledgeable about their sports. I bet if they polled players who play in that city the LARGE majority of them would say they dont like playing there because of the fans.

Funny how you boo the hell out of your team in the first game of the season, and then you cant figure out why none of them can win a championship.

And c'mon, they booed Santa Claus, threw batteries at JD Drew, and cheered when Irvin tore up his knee. Id say they have the 'thug' monicker for good reason.

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I didn't even think about that, good point. The Falcons usually stink but they did make a Super Bowl and had the honor of being the first team to beat Green Bay in the playoffs at Lambeau Field in God knows how long. I guess their hockey and basketball teams must be especially horrible.