1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analysts offer mixed reviews on Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    A few good blurbs:
    Armando Salguero posted an item

:up:I agree with The Chin!
    I don't agree with the last statement. I think we have a couple of those type of receivers. I do think we need that bigger, more dominant, "chuck it up - go up and get it" kind of guy, ala Fitz, Boldin, A. Johnson, B. Marshall, etc, etc, etc. I know all teams could use one of those guys, but we have nothing close as of yet. One of those type of guys would be such a great compliment to guys like Bess, Hartline and Camarillo. I still have some hope for Turner for down the road.... but, we need a more dominant guy whom can seriously contribute earlier in his career.
    :up:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cowher's analysis was spot on. All we need for this offense to succeed is a playmaking WR. Not a Percy Harvin type. A Dez Bryant type.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...and some Linebackers and a Safety.

charlestonphan and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Obviously. But I focused on the WR part because we do not need a Harvin type of receiver.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    What's wrong with a Harvin-type? If you can put it into the endzone with a screen, then why not? That said, I'd agree with you that we could use a big target for Henne.

6. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think we need a big receiver, but I think one that is going to run routes and catch the ball consistently.

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Solidify the D and get us a stud WR.:up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  8. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    This.

I truly believe that Ginn can be that playmaker once we get a receiver on the outside that requires the opposing defense's top cornerback and a safety over the top. Hartline, too. Bess will do everything else.

Anonymous likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    a DezBryant, an ILB & NT away
    we will contend in 2010

10. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Add FS to that list and I agree.:up::knucks:

11. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I've posted a lot on the need for LB's, inside and out, and it is the weakest link on the team.

I'm looking ar that #12 pick, and wondering what we can do. IF we cannot trade down, chances are that a LB would be a reach. Dez could be the best available option, although I don't see him getting past Denver.

12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I agree on the serious need for LBs. I always was complaining how we could never get consistent pressure on the QBs when it was really needed. Our ILBs were a major weakness in coverage and tackling, again, when most needed. However, I will give them some credit. We did, for the most part, shut down some really good RBs, but we have no real depth at the LB position as a whole. Despite how some feel about Crowder, it's funny how noticeable our lack of depth at the ILB position is when he goes out for a few games. We really suffer.

If McClain is there when we pick, which I doubt, I think we'd have to take him or, at the very least, give it some serious consideration, to say the least.

I also like B. Graham a lot.

With this said; We could also seriously, DESPERATELY use a FS. Wilson cost us games alone with his horrendous coverage and tackling. I highly doubt Berry makes it to 12, but I would love to have him and he would instantly make our D better, IMO. T. Mays is also an intriguing prospect. I want to watch some more film on him. It's a tough call this year, as usual.:wink2: A lot of this depends on what happens with FA etc, but we know The Trifecta doesn't like to go hog wild in FA, which is a great thing, IMO. :up:

P.S.
    Thank God we don't need a QB this year! That's a scary class. Phew....

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I still dont see them going with Dez, if McClain is on the board....and I know Boldin can be had for a reasonible price, but I'm not sure about him either....he scares me kinda...dont get me wrong, he is good but I wonder how good he will be as the man...I want Marshall so bad...

14. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    To me, McClain at 12 would be - defensively - like Marino falling to us at 27. Kid is that good, and he is the answer to many of our defensive problems for years to come. If he makes it to 12, we should run to the podium to pick him and thank our lucky stars.

If not, and Bryant is there, how can you not take him? Watch some film of the kid, he does make Larry Fitzgerald like catches.

15. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I disagree. I don't think Bryant helps us contend for 2-3 years. Rookie WR don't usually have an impact.

16. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Antrelle for sure, maybe Dansby too... With Ronnie and Cobbs back any decent big, fast receiver with velcro hands will do!

17. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    If McClain is there when we pick, which I doubt, I think we'd have to take him or, at the very least, give it some serious consideration, to say the least.

I also like B. Graham a lot.

With this said; We could also seriously, DESPERATELY use a FS. Wilson cost us games alone with his horrendous coverage and tackling. I highly doubt Berry makes it to 12, but I would love to have him and he would instantly make our D better, IMO. T. Mays is also an intriguing prospect. I want to watch some more film on him. It's a tough call this year, as usual.:wink2: A lot of this depends on what happens with FA etc, but we know The Trifecta doesn't like to go hog wild in FA, which is a great thing, IMO. :up:
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not sold on McClain. I do like Graham but, at 6'1" and short arms, we may pass. Then again Dumerville is 5'10".

NO WAY Berry makes it to us. Mays hits like a LB, also covers like one. I like the kid from Texas more.

As of now, trading down and getting a Graham or Kindle would be my choice.

18. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I watched a bit of the skills challenge on ESPN. Dez looked VG but, who cares? The reason for mentioning it is that the announcer said he had never seen any player with bigger hands. Watching the "competition," I saw what he meant. They are like a 6'10" guy from the NBA. It does make a difference.

Being 6'2", 220, and having Pro Bowl talent does not hurt either. :)

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think our Safeties will look better if we get LBs who have at least mediocre coverage skills.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I agree having LBs whom can better cover is very important and will definitely help, but you just can't be comfortable leaving Wilson back there. The guy is a disaster and LBs aren't usually responsible for the deep routes. It's the over the top support on the deep routes with the bigger, more dominant receivers that frustrates the hell out of me. Usually the over the top, FS support has been non-existent. As for Wilson's tackling, his supposed strength:wink2:, I've seen better fundamentals from Pop Warner kids. Sad, but true. I hope Clemons will step up, but who knows what's going on there?

djphinfan likes this.
  21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Very, very unlikely, IMO. He looked like the worst player on the team at times, and shied away from contact enough to make me think of him as the Ted Ginn of our defense.

Let this be the offseason in which we stop whiffing on free agents.

Sceeto likes this.
  22. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    An oversimplication and simply not true. Just this past year saw a load of contributing WRs as rookies. Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks, Britt Massaqui, Wallace, Hartline, Knox, Murphy, Collie.

2008 was kind of a bust with really only Jackson contributing, but none were first round picks either.

2007 saw Johnson and Bowe contributing right away.

Guys that took some time (but less than 3 years) were Meachum, Gonzalez, Rice, Smith, Manningham.

To say that we shouldnt take Dez Bryant because he cant help us for 3 years is a fallacy.

PhinishLine and Larryfinfan like this.
  23. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Dez Bryant can move the chains something that everybody seems to overlook.

IMO:Unless you get consist pressure on the QB you really can't tell how good or bad your DB's and safety's really are. See FSU this year for a prime example.

24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Bring back Orande Gadsden. He is a big target for Chad and he catches everything.
    [​IMG]