1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analysts spotlight Henne, Fins QB situation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Topdawg13, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-

I agree with Dilfer on this............ :yes:

2. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm gonna surprise everyone here and say I agree with Dilfer....... especially because he has such vibrant skin and a shiny head.

The key word in that is "starting over" IMO because too many fans don't realize that developing a QB is a lengthy process, and despite what people think of young Henne, if we replace him with a rookie we'll be taking at least a step backwards....... possibly for a few years.

As good as Bradford looked "for a rookie", he would be considered detrimental as a whole to a team trying to make a super bowl run.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    So is Henne. I don't think we can seriously challenge for a Super Bowl with him as a QB.

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well, who knows what will happen. But Drew Brees also had a really lousy third year in the NFL. Let's hope this is the year the lights come on for Henne.

5. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I do realize the lengthy process, but if we invest everything in him, without hedging our bet, and he is NOT the answer, we are set back even longer. We should be drafting a QB EVERY YEAR from here on out, or at least until we have another big time QB as our established starter. I am not saying draft a QB in the first round every year, but to quit expecting to strike gold in the later rounds, until we DO have THAT guy.

6. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    exactly, and getting a fire lit under his arse didnt hurt. Henne is having that same fire, its do or die on his career, Brees stepped up to the plate and answered teh bell. The question remains will Henne? This is my whole argument for Henne deserving another chance, there were some things that he did not do well, there were improvements. There was enough issues outside Henne to say you just dont know definitively whether it was all on Henne, all on the dysfunction among coaches, or combos of everything. Some qbs take more time to develop. Henne has thee tools and Kiper is right in that consistency is what Henne really needs, he cant just have thta huge mental gaff that costs the team big. But young qbs struggle at times when the team struggles. Bradford the pressure was to grow and learn, Henne pressure was to win and win big.

Like I said Henne is getting a shot like it or not, it will be up to him if he sinks or swims

MonstBlitz likes this.
  7. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I've been doing a little research on Henne. He had 16 batted balls. Bradford had 17 and Sanchez 15. The norm is 6-8. He also had 27 balls dropped. These are a couple of little things which should be easily corrected. Doesn't sound like much but, it meant a few ints and likely over 100 yards in passing. More later.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    0-9 yards
    Left- 43-66, 379 yds, 1 TD,2 picks
    Right- 50-70, 382, 4 TDs, 1 picks
    Middle- 78-105, 696, 3 Td, 3 picks

10-19 yards
    Left- 23-34, 352 yds, 0 TDs, 2 picks
    Right- 20-34, 347 yds, 3 TDs, 1 pick
    Middle- 31-42, 537 yds,1 TD,6 picks

Over 20 yards
    Left- 1-7, 26 yds, 0 TD's, 0 picks
    Right- 3-16, 109 yds, 0 TD's, 1 pick
    Middle- 6-17, 205 yds, 1 TD, 2 picks

That's a combined 10-40 on throwing deep.

9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Here's some comparisons on other QB's throwing passes over 20 yards.

Sanchez- 21-74 for 711 yards, 7 TD's, 4 picks
    Cutler- 17-64 for 646 yards, 7 TD's 8 picks
    Palmer- 16-54 for 616 yards, 6 TD's, 3 picks
    Flacco- 29-83 for 931 yards, 12 TD's, 5 picks

Big Ben- 25-69 for 840 yards, 4 TD's, 3 picks
    Matt Ryan- 16-51 for 477 yards, 4 TD's, 3 picks
    Peyton- 29-95 for 968 yards, 11 TD's, 7 picks
    Rogers- 33-86 for 1188 yards, 11 TD's, 6 picks.

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    And 19 throwaways. He def needs to work on finding better passing lanes or altering his delivery so he doesnt have so many balls batted down.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I think some of that was on the OL in letting DL's get their hands up, and some was on Henne's locking into a receiver.

I was very surprised to see the over 20 yard stats on some great QB's. It seems like 30% is kinda good,and Henne is not that bad, all things considered.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He cant alter his delivery GM...Ive said before Henne has a low release point for a guy 6'2, his motion is certainly not over the top, and he takes a big stride when he throws, thus dropping his hips and lowering the release point, all combined with having the flatest ball flight in the league..I dont see the batted balls going away, he doesn't have what I call arm athleticism, and he doesn't have any of the real stuff to find better lanes with his feet...This is on top of the fact that hes telegraphing some of his throws, locking on, and not being able to work defenders with confidence.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree with you, but you're going off course from what Dilfer was saying. I wasn't saying that we shouldn't draft a QB this year; however, drafting one in the first could set us back because:
    a. We don't have a 2nd rounder
    b. We have too many holes to fill on offense
    c. There were too many variables that greatly impact a QBs performance that Henne had to endure last year making it virtually impossible to get a true read on him.

IMO the smart way to go is bringing in a vet with playing experience to sandwich in between Henne & Brandstater (and maybe take Yates later on to compete with Brandstater) and then go all in at QB next year if Henne doesn't take the next step. That's the best of both worlds IMO. If Henne has problems, then there's an experienced vet who can come in and give us a better chance of winning than any rookie can. It also gives Henne another year's of experience, too. Then in 2012, after the Oline & ground game are improved and we have an upgrade to TE/WR, we draft a QB (if needed) who fits precisely to whatever our offense ends up looking like. Then Henne either keeps his job or he becomes our backup with 3 years worth of experience. I think it's somewhat important to see what we've become on offense after all this mess disappears before we should be looking to plug a high round QB into it.

If our defense continues to take its game to the next level, then IMO we have a chance to compete next year if the ground game picks up. However, if we prioritize a 1st round QB, I'm not so sure we have much of a shot with a rookie QB and a ground game that hasn't fully evolved.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have been vocal in my belief that Henne's upside is limited. I don't think he will ever be an elite QB. I do, however, have no doubt that he can play as well as an Eli Manning or Flacco. Those QBs played well enough for their teams to make SB runs. In fact, Henne played better than the Sanchez when the Jets challenged for the SB the last two years. So I have no doubt that Henne can play well enough for us to challenge for a SB, especially if he has a better OC and more complimentary offensive personnel. That being said, I also believe that you keep looking for an elite QB until you have one. The Dolphins should definitely keep looking. I just don't think they are likely to find anybody in this draft that won't set them back next year in comparison to Henne.

Frayser, RoninFin4 and ToddsPhins like this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Flacco is the much more well rounded QB with much more upside, he also has very nice movement in and around the pocket.