1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analyzing Chad Henne's interceptions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Analyzing Chad Henne's interceptions
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

mbmonk, Colmax and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I may be alone in this but I give Henne a pass on the Bills interceptions. With hat said here is why. He played a solid game up until the final 3 minutes or so of the game. All of his picks he was either Hit or the pass was deflected at the LOS. After the first pick the D gave up a long TD putting us 10 points down with very little time left putting him and our Offense in a position where we had to force the ball down field in order to have a chance.

mbmonk likes this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Id actually like to see what interceptions were clearly bad throws by Henne, and which were tipped passes, or wrong route runs by recievers. Its my guess...that a fair amount of them had more to do with another player than Henne. Which isnt to say Henne doesnt make mistakes...but really...I dont think to many of those picks...actually just the Tampa one...where I can say, WOW that was a bone headed throw....

4. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Exactly. Why were the throws picks is the important question?

The stat happy author fails to address this. If the WR ends up tipping a pass in the air, that he should have caught, and it gets pick.. not the QB's fault.

So this analysis ignores these factors and just assumes Henne's at fault on all the picks. Worthless read imo.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    When a ball is tipped at the line, unless it's a crazy athletic play by the defensive end or something, it usually IS the QB's fault.

DolfanCole and gafinfan like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not necessarily true. It can be an OL's fault for allowing a defender in closer toward the QB as well, or WRs not getting open fast enough for the length of the time the QB is supposed to have the ball. Blame can be spread around.

Personally, when you look at other young QBs around the league, I think Henne is matching up quite well. We certainly havent seen a 6 INT performance.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm not comparing him to anyone...just saying that usually when a ball is tipped, trajectory of the throw has a lot to do with it. Also when the QB is trying to throw it over the line rather than through a window on a short pass.

Obviously you can spread the blame, but that doesnt mean those other places are usually the reason. Just my opinion. The fact that it was ultimately intercepted isnt his fault, but a tip at the line can be.

dolfan7171, gafinfan and djphinfan like this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Well, it's a good thing we're not up in New York, having to dissect every single one of Sanchez's brain farts.

9. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Perhaps it's just the sadist in me but one of my all time favorites was watching the Jets bring in a professional to teach Sanchez how to slide, only to have him get hurt the very next game as he failed to accomplish what should be a basic skill for any QB.

And no I'm not one to wish an injury on a player but I am a true fan of Irony =)

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Indeed :D

11. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    My comment was about a WR tipping the ball (Ted Ginn against the Saints), so why do you quote me and then talk about a DL tipping it?

It depends. On a 3 step drop the Oline is supposed to hit the DL in order to get his hands down. So it could be the Oline it could be the QB. Either of which have nothing to do with the point I was making.

12. gofins

gofins Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Laurel, Md
    That's my opinion also. On 6 of Henne's int's I was on my 10th beer, so maybe it was my fault!!??!! I just want to know how many were just bad throws or poor decisions by Henne and I bet it is less than half.

13. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

While that may be true of some QB's even Tony has stated that Chad sometimes throws a low ball and he did also have this problem in college. So imho its on Chad, he is responsible for making the proper throw, the ball is in his hands.

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    water under the bridge
    henne is 7-3 as the starting qb
    im sold he has it

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO this is a horrible analysis. Why is it shocking that a QB throws more INTs when the D knows you have to pass? A real analysis would have looked at the plays or patterns that the INTs were thrown on as well as the kinds of defenses he was facing. That would make it easier to determine who was at fault and if Henne was making the same mistakes or he was learning/improving. I recognize that this is beyond the ability of the reporters, but if you can't get the coaches to help then it's really no more than a list of the INTs grouped by timing or targets. I would not have posted that and claimed it was an analysis.

16. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I think this is an interesting and telling stat.
    The fact is that a majority of the picks came on passing downs, where the team was most likely in pass coverage. Basically a rookie QB having some problems reading pass coverage and trying/needing to make a play.