1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andy Dalton extension, going to cost us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    If a mediocre QB like Andy Dalton gets an extension worth 96 million, Tannehill will get at least that much (assuming he makes the progress we all expect this year). I'm all for paying for a QB based on potential. but in the off chance he's not the franchise QB, it will ruin your franchise, just like it will ruin the Bengals. straps your salary cap preventing you from giving your above average QB the supporting talent it needs to win consistently.

having said that, I think Tannehill will eventuallly become top 10 once Brady and Manning retire.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000373822/article/andy-dalton-bengals-reach-sixyear-96m-extension

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Well, there's 3 years before they "have" to make that call. I'm a huge Tannehill supporter, but if he can't get to franchise status by then, that's really gonna hurt.

I think he can and will, but nobody knows with 100% certainty.

3. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Dalton has played in the playoffs every year he's been in the league and has 30 wins in 3 years. Tannehill has some work to do.

Samphin and DPlus47 like this.
  4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I heard Dalton signed for $17 mil guaranteed. That's fair for Tannehill next year if he reaches playoffs. He's been up and down, some games were unwatchable last year, especially towards the end. Needs more consistency, and this year with the new offense its difficult to set expectations.

5. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Dalton is a boot attached to a bus packed with a very good defense.

6. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not ready to talk extension for Tannehill until I see what he does this year. He's just as much a question mark as anyone else on this team IMO.

That's not a knock on him. It's just the reality of the situation. He's talented but inconsistent. He's in a new offense, the coach and GM aren't on firm ground. At this point, I'm not sure anyone on the Miami Dolphins should be looking at an extension or is worthy of one.

7. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Local radio said more like $25 million guaranteed the first two years.

8. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    what? not unless he signed an extension I don't know about. He signed a 4 year deal, this is his 3rd season. after 2015, he's a free agent, so next offseason, contract extension negotiations begin.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Andy Dalton is not a mediocre QB. He's pretty good. Its just when hes bad, hes bad. And unfortunately for him, it seems like its always on primetime. Though he obviously needs to start winning those if hes going to be anything better than "Pretty good"

DPlus47 likes this.
  10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Pretty sure he has a 5th year option.

11. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The deal he got is pretty good garanteed money for the first two years.After that the deal will practically have to be renegotiated .If he doesnt perform the Bengals can get out of the contract easily.

We should be so lucky to get those terms for Tanny especially if he turns out to be the real deal.

DPlus47 likes this.
  12. PhinFan1968

Right...still needs to play 3rd season, then 4th season, then option.

13. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    People worrying about the cost of Ryan Tannehill's next contract are missing the point. We should all be crossing fingers and toes that we MUST give him a contract like that...

I want the club to be forced to make him the highest paid player in the history of the sport.

14. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

How many QBs drafted since Dalton are better than he is?

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really have to see how he adjusts to a new offensive system first, Sherman was his defacto OC for years, how he adapts will tell us a lot about his future

16. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Wilson, Foles, Tannehill, Luck. Obviously just my opinion, but I'd take any of those four pretty decisively.

17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, what I've seen of Dalton there is lil seperating him from Christian Ponder, except a beast Wr and a better defense

Will say the AFCN is a tough division to complete in, only the Browns are a wounded duck team consistently, facing the Ravens and Stealers 4 times a yr does not exactly lead to success for young Qb's

We can say the same about the AFCE, even the Bills are a tough out in NY in December and the Jest D is consistently good, and we all know about the patsies

18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Christian Ponder ???? really ???? i mean i don´t like Dalton very much, but he passed for 4200+ yards last year with 30+ TD´s, Christian Ponder won´t meet those numbers in his career probably

DPlus47 and djphinfan like this.
  19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Barnwell on Grantland had a great article about Dalton. Give him time and he is fine, but he just cannot handle pressure. That is why he is getting killed in the playoffs, he is facing top teams with top passrushes. I think the stats show that under pressure he has worse numbers than Blaine Gabbert did. Hard to imagine the Bengals winning 4-5 games against the league's elite for a SB victory with that in mind.

Then again, while the deal itself is an astronomical number, the actual guaranteed money is not outrageous. If Dalton can't get them over the hump, they will be able to cut him without destroying their cap for years. Gotta remember, in many cases, the figure reported on may as well be an imaginary number. If I was a player, I would demand a trillion dollar contract just for ****s and giggles.

20. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    We should consider ourselves lucky if we are in a situation where we have to back the Brinks truck up to Ryan Tannehill. Means he did something right.

Bpk likes this.
  21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Ridiculous when people call Dalton mediocre. There is a great PFF article explaining why he is a franchise QB. It goes into his time from snap to throw which is one of the quickest in the league, his elite level anticipation and some of his statistical anomalies.

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  22. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    The point, IMO, is that Dalton didn't really do much to warrant that contract.

The fear is that Tannehill will play similar: Inconsistent, but just good enough so the organization is forced to give a big contract saddling them to further inconsistent QB play.

IMO, the Bengals have a top 5 NFL roster top to bottom and Dalton is a beneficiary. Finding a cheaper replacement (i.e. Matt Moore) will garner the same overrall results for the team.

23. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Andy Dalton's passer rating the last 3 years:

2011: 20th (80.4)
    2012: 13th (87.4)
    2013: 15th (88.8)

I'd say that's the definition of mediocre. At the very least, it's not ridiculous to consider him mediocre

resnor and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  24. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read in PFF. Mediocre means he's 15-17 range, given his crappy performances when it counts, seems appropriate to me.

25. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    FWIW Dalton is 8-10 vs. The AFC North and I believe he's sub-.500 against winning/playoff teams.

26. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Defending your GM League QB ;p Well at least you managed to dump that bad Flacco trade ;)

Says the guy who initially traded for Sam Bradford and still ended up with GM of the year *cough*

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Right...he's so crappy he puts up elite numbers every year that have only been done 2-3 times before in the first few years of a career. Plus all his numbers with the game such as snap to pass are elite as well.

28. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    anyone who thinks he's elite is an idiot. I can quickly name 14-15 QBs most of us would gladly have before Andy Dalton. that by all terms makes him an average starting QB.

29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    3.4% INT is not elite. 60% accuracy is not elite. He's basically throwing it up and his WRs are coming down with it more often than not. Guys I'd take before him:

Peyton. Brady. Brees. Rodgers. Matt Ryan. Cam Newton. Russell Wilson. Philip Rivers. Tony Romo. Ben Roethlisberger. Andrew Luck. Another good year I'd throw in Nick Foles.

Colin Kaapernick is a tweener. Hell if Sam Bradford had a complete year he'd be in the running.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  30. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Exactly!

31. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Look at his offensive system and supporting cast. Look at who he has performed well against versus who he has struggled against. That will tell you all you need to know. A.J. Green is more than partially responsible for Dalton's success. Hell, most Bengals fans hate Andy Dalton.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  32. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Check out his numbers when under pressure (Bill Barnewell's article from yesterday on ESPN), or, just watch a replay of their playoff game last year against San Diego.

33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Right now Tannehill needs to prove during the upcoming season that he deserves to be the starting QB in 2015, much less that he deserves a huge contract in the future.

If he leads this team to the playoffs this coming season, perhaps we can then discuss if he should be making the same type of money Dalton just signed for. Right now he is a two year starter in the NFL and the team has a sub 500 record over those past two years. No one is suggesting that Matt Moore be given a new long term contract for big money and I have no doubt the Dolphins would probably have had a similar record the past two years with him at QB and not Tannehill.

I hope that in a couple of years the Dolphins are forced to pay Tannehill the money being paid to the top QB's in the league. This will mean that the Dolphins have had success and have been in the playoffs with Tannehill as the teams QB.

If instead the Dolphins finish the 2014 season 500 or below again, I really don't see Tannehill getting a huge contract with the Dolphins or any other NFL team. I see the Dolphins drafting another QB of the future if Tannehill can't lead this team to the playoffs in 2014.

34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd add Jay Cutler to that list, and Colin K, as well as Stafford and Eli Manning

35. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Forgot about Stafford. Thought about Jay Cutler. Eli ... I just hate Eli.

36. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Eli had a bad year, but was sacked a helluva lot last year and his running game was in shambles (sounds familiar). Even if I wasn't a Giants fan (which I am) we should applaud Eli for beating the Patsies in two super bowls. certainly makes living in Boston easier for me.

DPlus47 and PhinFan1968 like this.
  37. PhinFan1968

Man do I know that feeling. I work RIGHT next to a bandwagon-*** Patriots (currently) fan. He started the NBA season last year decked out in Knicks stuff (after sporting Celtics stuff the year before), a month or so later, was wearing Nets stuff and hyping them up. By the end of the season, he was full-fledged Spurs regalia. DEFINITION of bandwagon. Always talkin' about "Turnoverhill" this and "Dead Fish" that. I wanna choke his little *** out. He grew up in Boston AND New York, so you can imagine. He doesn't have much to say when I say, "ain't won one since they got caught cheating f***head." Thanks Eli!

38. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Dalton may not be elite, but he's not as bad as most Bengals fans think (IMO) and didn't just sign a ridiculous contract. The contract is about what one could expect for Dalton. It's essentially a 2-year deal, which shows the team is putting a little faith in Dalton but not mortgaging the future for him. We can only hope that Tannehill earns a similar (or better) deal.

39. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Dalton is above average but his playoff stats are horrendous...I don't mind his quality but no way is he worth that money and no way Miami or any other team will or should offer Tannehill that much unless we go to the moon this year.