1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ani margeesh kar'ua - I feel torn

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Miamian, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Well, you've had your Hebrew lesson for the day, but just to explain why I feel torn:

I moved to Israel a little more than three years ago, full of anticipation and enthusiasm. Some of you may remember the thread that I posted about a year before. It looks likely that I'll be moving back because I can't get steady work and I spend more than I receive. This despite having a master's degree, serving as Chair of the local professional association in Miami, and being fluent in four languages. Naturally, it doesn't help that Israelis can arguably be the rudest, most aggressive people on the planet, yes the reputation is well-deserved.

Despite that, there are so many things here that make me want to stay. It's a rarity, an extreme one at that, that I'm NOT invited to have Sabbath dinner at somebody's house. A family in Ramat Gan, one of Tel Aviv's suburbs, had adopted me and I had dinner every Friday night at the grandmother's house until I moved to Jerusalem about eight months ago. Now my neighbors upstairs have me over on Saturday afternoons as well.

Something new happened today. This past weekend was the festival of Purim. It's already over in the rest of the country, however in walled cities, such as Jerusalem it continues an additional day. A couple of weeks ago I volunteered to help my synagogue in mishlochot manot, delivering baskets of goodies. I didn't do with any expectation of quid-pro-quo, I did it because I wanted to help out, especially our Program Director who organized it. She's a great lady and has had me over a few times with her family and other guests. She regularly sets a table for about two dozen. Anyway, while I was delivering there was the usual exchange of pleasantries and traditional Hebrew expressions. However, people were also waiting for me with baskets of their own. I wasn't expecting it, nor would I have thought any less of anyone who didn't do it. It just enriches the experience.

So, now I face a real dilemma. I really, really want to stay in Israel. These kinds of things don't happen in the US. Sure, there are dinner parties and people invite others out and all, but trust me, it's not the same.

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I am sorry to hear this Mike. I know you wanted to make it work.. that it was a dream. Life takes many detours and they bring their own rewards. Come back, make your fortune and go back on your own terms.. or sumpin' ...keep your chin up bro.

3. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    As someone living in another country too, let me say never lose your hope. Do what gives you the most happiness and money eventually comes.

4. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Darn Michael, I'm sorry to hear that you may have to call this a failed experiment. I know how much this experience meant to you.

I know it sounds cliche, but follow your heart. It is there that your spirit resides and it will guide you to where you need to be.

5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks guys. My friends here are also encouraging me to stay. I just hope that if I can't get work, and somehow decide to see "whatever happens does" that I don't end up sitting on the sidewalk with a plastic cup.

6. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Goo luck... I came here to ny about a year ago, stayed at friends couches for like 8 months without finding a job. Managed to cowboy through and got lucky... maybe something like that will happen for ya

7. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

Mike...if it's where your heart is, stick it out a while longer at least....JMHO... but I'd wager that if you came back now, you'd end up regretting it.