1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnLGPs Defensive Guide

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Jan 28, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

A Statistical Outlook Of The Miami Dolphins Season & Draft Needs: DEFENSE

During the regular season the Miami Dolphins were ranked 15th overall in defense. More specifically they ranked 25th against the pass and 10th against the run.

Right End:

Stats
    Vonnie Holliday started 15 games had 46 total tackles, 30 of which were solo and had 3.5 sacks and had 1 pass defensed.

Analysis
    Holliday had a good season with his tackles and sacks. I have a feeling with the high drafting of Merling that he'll be on his way out much sooner rather than later and may even start to serve more of a backup roll as early as next year.
    Stats
    Phillip Merling started 2 games had 26 tackles, 20 of which were solo had 1 sack, 2 passes defensed and 1 INT which he returned for a TD.

Analysis
    Merling has me excited. I believe if I remember reading right he was a first rounder that slipped for whatever reason (injury, I think). He had a few good pressure plays to put a stamp on the right side of the line for the future.

Total Stats:
    72 Tackles
    4 and a half Sacks
    3 Passes defensed
    1 Int
    6 Points

Analysis

Phillip Merling had a decent rookie year I would say. 20 solo tackles 2 passes defensed an INT for a TD to seal a game. There were a lot of tackles from this side of the line. A decent number of sacks. Defensive points came from this side as well. Also a pass was intercepted. We have found a replacement for Holliday and as I said before the Phins may have found his replacement.

Nose Tackle:
    Stats
    Jason Ferguson started 13 games had 22 tackles 18 of which were solo.

Analysis
    22 tackles is a decent bit for a DT. He held the point of attack very well and allowed the other guys to do their job. He's getting up there in age and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Total Stats:
    22 Tackles

Analysis:

I'm sure more than just Jason Ferguson came in here. Starks must have as well. Soliai had three tackles and played in 14 games.

Left End:

Stats
    Kendall Langford started 13 games had 31 tackles 25 of which were solo. He had 2 sacks and 3 passes defensed.

Analysis
    I think Langford has a lot of upside. Starting 13 games and having 2 sacks isn't too bad for a rookie and I can't think of too many glaring mistakes he made. I remember his first sack against Favre very vividly. You could tell he really wanted to get after the QB. He will only get better with time.

Randy Starks started 4 games had 29 tackles 22 of which were solo. He had 3 sacks. 3 passes defensed and 1 INT which was returned 8 yards.

Analysis
    When he was in the game he seemed to make an impact. I remember the pick well but not the sacks.

Total Stats:
    60 tackles
    5 sacks
    6 passes defensed
    1 Int

Analysis
    Not as many tackles on the left side as the right side but there's far less veterans on this side of the line. Langford was a rookie and Starks is only a few year vet. There were still a lot of tackles and 2 more passes defensed on this side of the line than on the other. There was one interception which wasn't returned for points. I'd say Langford held his points pretty well and managed to get after the quarterback a few times in his rookie year. The passes defensed shows he's alert enough to realize that he needs to move quick to drop and deflect a pass or two. Starks brings the veteran leadership on the left side.

Right Outside Linebacker:

Stats
    Joey Porter started 16 games had 47 tackles 36 of which were solo. He had 17.5 sacks and 1 pass defensed.

Analysis
    Wow. What can be said about Joey Porter that hasn't been said already. He had a career year with sacks. Though it became a bit inconsistent due to the double teams he was getting. I'm willing to bet that a few of those double teams allowed Roth or Langford to nab a sack or two, though. He'll have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Charlie Anderson started 1 game had 27 tackles 20 of which were solo. He had 2 sacks and 1 safety.

Analysis
    I seem to remember anderson getting a pick but either my research was a bit off or it didn't happen. It's kinda hard to compare Porter and Anderson at this time but at least he's got a few pressure plays to his name.

Total Stats:
    74 Tackles
    19 and a half sacks
    1 Pass defensed
    2 Points (Safety)

Analysis
    Out of the outside linebacker spots this side has more tackles than the other It has more pressure plays due largely to Joey Porter. Charlie Anderson has a few notable points namely 2 sacks and a safety.

Inside Linebacker:

Stats
    Akin Ayodele started 13 games had 78 tackles 58 of which were solo. He had 4 passes defensed, 2 INTs neither of which were returned back for Tds.

Analysis
    Ayodele had a decent number of tackles inside. For a trade along with Fasano for a 4th rounder this is definitely not a bad trade deal.

Stats
    Reggie Torbor started 1 game had 17 tackles 12 of which were solo. He had .5 sacks.

Analysis
    There's not really much to analyze. 16 games, 1 game started. 12 solo tackles and half a sack. I think we'll upgrade.

Stats
    Channing Crowder started 13 games had 113 tackles 92 of which were solo. He had 6 passes defensed.

Analysis
    Absolute tackling machine. 92 solo tackles. It seems less impressive than when you say 113, though. So Crowder wants top tier money when he has made 92 solo tackles and 6 passes defensed? Why should he get it?

Total Stats:
    208 tackles
    Half a sack
    2 INTs
    10 passes defensed

Analysis

208 Tackles. Wow. A lot of runs were funneled from the outside to the inside. Over half of these tackles were made or assisted by Channing Crowder, whom we all know is a looming FA and from what I've read most likely is not going to be a Phin next year. Akin Ayodele had a decent bit of tackles and a few nice INTs. The only player who I don't see much of anything is Torbor. He played in 16 games but only managed to grab 12 solo tackles.

Left Outside Linebacker

Stats
    Matt Roth started 14 games had 53 tackles 46 of which were solo. He had 5 sacks and 4 passes defensed.

Analysis
    Roth used to play Lber in high school. Then turned a pro DE which zapped all his energy going against the Tackles. He was moved back to linebacker by the current regime and in my opinion did a pretty decent job. 46 solo tackles, 5 sacks and 4 passes defensed. That's not too bad. He set the edge well all year.

Stats
    Quentin Moses started 1 game had 3 tackles, all solo.

Analysis
    12 games, 1 game started and 3 tackles. I think we'll upgrade.

Total Stats:
    56 Tackles
    5 sacks
    4 passes defensed

Analysis

This side got more sacks than the middle and less tackles and sacks than the right side. Roth really must have been feeding Channing Crowder some opposing Rbs. Roth had 5 sacks which is pretty decent for a HS LB turned Pro DE turned Pro LB. He also had 4 passes defensed which is just as good as any Lber save for Crowder who had 6. Quentin Moses must not have been called upon too much because his stats just aren't there.

TOTAL FRONT SEVEN STATS
    492 Tackles
    34 Sacks
    24 Passes defensed
    8 Defensive Points
    4 INTs

Total Front Seven Analysis

The weird thing about these stats to me is this. Channing Crowder helped create over 100 of those 400 tackles. Ayodele had 78. That basically means that half the tackles were made by our two starting ILBs. There wasn't enough consistent pressure from all angles. 17.5 of those sacks came from porter and there were only 8 defensive points from the front seven as a whole. There needs to be more consistent pressure coming from all angles and more turnovers and tackles up front to take them off the defense, namely the Safeties.

Right Cornerback:

Stats
    Andre' Goodman started 16 games had 39 tackles 33 of which were solo. He had 19 passes defensed and 5 INTs none of which were returned for a TD.

Analysis
    The majority of the tackles Goody had were on his own. He deflected a heck of a lot of passes (the most out of any starting DB on our D) and nabbed more than a few INTs as well.

Stats
    Nate Jones started 1 game had 23 tackles 19 of which were solo. He had 3 sacks 1 pass defensed and 1 INT which was not returned for a TD.

Analysis
    He played in 16 games and started 1. He's decently younger than a few of our other corners and I think that is in his favor to remain on this roster. If they don't keep him it's because they're looking to upgrade and they feel he has reached his potential.

Total Stats:
    62 Tackles
    20 Pass Defensed
    6 INTs

Analysis

Goody is going to have to be replaced. Not because he doesn't play well but he's 30 years old. I don't necessarily mean in the offseason all at one time but if it's procrastinated on for too long we'll have an old geezer playing DB in the NFL. Something you definitely don't want.

Free Safety

Stats
    Renaldo Hill started 15 games had 77 total tackles 62 of which were solo. He had 4 passes defensed and 3 INTs. No TD.

Analysis
    There were a decent amount of tackles and the INTs stand out to me as well. Hill is the same age as Goody and he'll have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Stats
    Courtney Bryan started 0 games had 3 tackles all solo.

Analysis
    Played in seven games and had three tackles. He's 24 years old so there may still be some upside. He was brought in roughly in the middle of the season from GB if I remember correctly.

Total Stats:
    80 Tackles
    4 Passes Defensed
    3 Ints

Analysis
    the majority of these tackles were made by the aging Hill. The interceptions show that he can still nab the ball out of the air. My concern is his replacement and someone to back his replacement up.

Strong Safety

Stats
    Yeremiah Bell started 16 games had 120 tackles 100 of which were solo. He had 1 sack and 10 passes defensed.

Analysis
    Despite the Front 7 having a lot of tackles Yeremiah was called on a lot to make tackles. And make them he did. He's got 100 solo tackles which is a lot for any safety. The one thing that sticks out to me is his stone hands. If he had intercepted a few of those balls that clunked out of his hands rather than drop them on the turf his stats would look so much more impressive. Don't get me wrong; 100 tackles is a phenom of a safety but those missed drops could be huge for what kind of money the dolphins are looking to spend on an aging safety.

Stats
    Tyrone Culver started 0 games had 35 tackles 27 of which were solo. He had 3 passes defensed and 1 INT. No TD.

Analysis
    Young Player. Played in 15 games and managed these stats. I think he could potentially be the replacement for YB in either a year or two or if the phins decide bell is asking too much money. He can grab INTs, too.

Total Stats:
    155 Tackles
    1 Sack
    13 Passes Defensed
    1 Int

Analysis

Way too many tackles coming from the SS position. A fair amount of passes defensed and not nearly enough interceptions. I think there could be at least 3 to 4 added onto this if YB hadn't dropped those balls.

Left Cornerback

Stats
    Will Allen started 16 games had 50 tackles 42 of which were solo. He had 1 sack 15 passes defesned and 3 INTs. 1 TD.

Analysis
    Under-rated for sure. 42 solo tackles, 1 sack, 15 passes defensed, 3 INTs and 1 TD? Holy crow. He is 30 years old as well. If we keep any of the Dbs for veteran leadership I hope it is W. Allen.

Stats
    Joey Thomas started 0 games and had 4 tackles all were solo.

Analysis
    6 games, 4 tackles. 28 years old and his ceiling may have been reached or passed already. I think we could use an upgrade.

Total Stats:
    54 Tackles
    1 Sack
    15 Passes Defensed
    3 Ints
    6 points.

Analysis

Thereare a lot of passes defensed, INTs and defensive points came from this side of the backfield. This was largely due to W.Allen. He will need to be replaced at some point sooner rather than later. Allen seems to have some gas in the tank but I wouldn't count on his backup being around.

TOTAL BACK FOUR STATS:

351 Tackles
    2 Sacks
    52 Passes Defensed
    13 INTS
    6 Defensive points

Analysis

492-351 = 141. That's the difference in tackles between the front seven and the back four. There were only 9 more INTs for the Dbs than there were the front 7. Passes defensed are a lot higher, which is where they should be. And points are about equal.

BIGGEST NEED ON DEFENSE:

LB/CB. Too many times I found myself saying “we could upgrade” for our Lbing corps or “we need to get younger” for our Cbs. We drafted high along the line last year and put some offensive playmakers on the field via FA or the Draft (ex. Bess) so I look for this draft to be a highly defensive minded draft. which if you're wondering was why I spent more time on this side than that side of the ball.

I don't really see us going along the lines. I can see us going MLB. CB. S.

EDIT:

I should have went over it; but it took me a while to write this up and I am absolutely exhausted. Please excuse the redundancy, the spelling errors and the general discombobulation that may seem like my brain.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Read my mind Anlgp, we need to get both younger and more athletic in the back 6 players, ILB and Db's.

Even our depth in the secondary is thin, so 4 starters averaging 30+ and two mediocre back up corner backs who never really did much before they arrived would make that unit ripe for some young athletic talent.

That means the job Todd Bowles did was even more impressive if it is considered, 4 starters played better then they ever have, all of them were Veterans, and 3 tied career highs in Int's, or set new highs

All that with virtually no pass rush outside of Peezy.

The caveat is, Tuna and Sparano are control the line of scrimmage guys otherwise this deep Defensive Back draft class would be timely.

gafinfan, GridIronKing34 and anlgp like this.
  3. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Analgaps Defensive Guide..... hmmm... Use a Condom???

Great article though!

anlgp likes this.
  4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If we address those positions with playmakers in the draft and maybe one through FA our d could turn from good to great real quick. I agree we need a gamechanger at Corner, safety and one or two at LB. A beast NT would help the whole front 7 too.

HULKFish and anlgp like this.
  5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am suprised to see how high Renaldo Hill and Akin Ayodele stats are. For some reason they never ever stand out to me when I watch our games. Statistically speaking though they had pretty good years.

Rocky Raccoon and anlgp like this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I actually really like Renaldo Hill. I'm fine with signing him to a two year deal to address other needs.. He's a solid starting free safety who, according to Yeremiah Bell, is like having another coach on the field.

anlgp likes this.
  7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Anlgp....Offense and now Defense, you are......

:theman:

Thanks bro. :up:

anlgp likes this.
  8. anlgp

Yeah, they all did a good job back there. I wish I could have found stats for catches against, but something doesn't add up with those stats when you're ranked 25th overall against the pass. It could really be either the front 7 or the back four that need help but judging from the stats I would say there needs to be a more consistent pass rush coming from all angles and a safety that hangs on to INTs rather than dropping them.

Thanks.

I agree with what you say except for the NT. At least as far as one of the first 3 picks we have. Ferguson was found in the later rounds of the draft and he does a good job at NT which is why I don't have the NT position listed as a spot of need. Any LBer spot we could really upgrade at and very well may have with the signing of Wake. I think we'll definately target another LBer via FA/The Draft.

Yeah it's weird like that. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to put this together because a lot of people (not necessarily you) were ripping on the DBs all year but statistically if you take a look at them they don't really look that bad. What it shows is that the team as a whole on defense didn't function well enough to be any better than 25th against the pass.

Hill played really well. Not too many tackles but he had 3 INTs which helped seal a game here and there I'm sure. I agree there are other needs. Mainly as I stated CB/LBer.

Thanks glad you enjoyed it.

The Aqua Crush and PMZQ like this.
  9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    nice work! thanks!

anlgp likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think we'll go OLB, CB, S and NT in the front seven. I think the NT spot is a must because we need a guy to learn under Ferguson and eventually replace him. Soliai has some moments such as the strip against JAX and the goal line stop but he's lazy and he has been suspended already. Renaldo Hill is a nice backup in my opinion and while he did get praise from Yeremiah Bell for lining up players correctly, he did get quite a few times this year IIRC and seemed to struggle tackling - I may be off here but I recall him being dragged a few times. I think we need a ballhawk opposite of Yeremiah Bell and when I say that, I start to think of Alabama's Rashad Johnson. Not the biggest frame but he can play centerfield and has great ball skills.

Nice work again, dude.

anlgp likes this.
  11. anlgp

Thanks for commenting. I meant to say OLB as well. Also as I said before I think they will grab a NT but it may not be one within the first few rounds. I think they'll find one late (Ferg himself was found in the later rounds). I think Yeremiah could stand to catch a few more INTs rather than drop them and we do need someone opposite him as well.

The reason why I put so much emphasis on the DBs is because they're all aging. I don't think we have a starting DB that is under 30 years of age.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its possible they get one later. Don't forget about Jay Ratliff as well. Seventh rounder I believe.

Yep and couple that with Yeremiah Bell's injury history, and its a bit of a scary view.

anlgp likes this.
  13. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    thank you for this. it is too long for me to read in one sitting :D but i will get around to reading the whole thing. now about who we need to address in the off season on defense:

DL- i think we can leave it for now. i would like to get a guy like Ron Brace somewhere in the 2nd-possibly 3rd at NT...but i think we are good for a few seasons. we have young, solid 3-4 DEs in Merling, Kendall Langford, Randy Starks, and Lionel Dotson. I say Holliday is done, even though he had a good career with the fins, he is 33 or something and we are looking to go yonger. but Raji or Brace would be nice to eventually replace Ferguson at NT. (i even like Fili Muala..sp? if he can put on 15-20 LBS or so)

LBs- people are talking about us going after ILBs. 1. if we franchise/resign Crowder i don't see why we need to address it in the off season. 2. Akin Ayodele had a very solid season, probably the best of his career. 3. i like Reggie Torbor as a nice backup ILB. the only ILB i think i could see us going after is Scott Mckillop in the 4th, maybe 5th round in the draft.

at OLB, i think is our 2nd biggest need behind CB. I like Matt Roth at LOLB. he had 5 sacks this season, but give him time. this is his first time playing 3-4 OLB, and he was blitzing off of a rookie (Langford) as opposed to Porter blitzing off of a Vet (Holliday). I loved the signing of Cameron Wake. and i personally wouldn't be mad if we traded Porter. we could probably get a 2nd + a 4th or something conditionally. his value went way up and all he is right now is an aging distraction. i would love to get someone like Clint Sintim or Larry English in the draft. someone who people thought had no chance in dropping out of the top 5, is now around the 12-15 range in Brian Orakpo (PLEASE FALL TO #25)

CB- our biggest need. Andre Goodman had a very solid season this year and i like him for a little bit longer. Will Allen gets abused like none other with his 5'10 height and terrible hands. we have no depth at CB and i would like Dunta Robinson if not tagged, Phillip Buchanon if not tagged, or someone in the draft like Alphonso Smith or Macho Harris.

SS- Resign Bell and we are good

FS- Someone i like in FA if isn't tagged is Oshiomogho Atogwe. Renaldo Hill would be nice to resign but Atogwe is young, very talented, and one of the top FS in the NFL.

anlgp likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Many are assuming Crowder won't be here with the latest news.

Why Orakpo? He's talented but he's no OLB in my opinion. He's too stiff in his hips and has spent just about zero time in coverage. The most he's done is three or four steps back from the LOS.

Big fan of Alphonso Smith. :hi5:

anlgp likes this.
  15. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    ya i heard a lot about that Crowder thing, but those are just rumors. i won't believe anything until i see it for my eyes. and Orakpo at 3-4 OLB would be dirty. his game is the speed rush and he is very quick, but on top the great speed rush he is a freak in the weight room. what was his max bench? 515? that is 5 of Martin Gramaticas's!

at #25, i would take Duke Robinson over anyone, but if he isn't there i want to go strictly CB or OLB

anlgp likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Orakpo's game is bulrush with a mix of speed rush. I think if your going to have him going downhill full-time ala Joey Porter, then yes. He's a good pickup. In coverage though, no. He's too stiff and that's because of the excessive muscle mass. I believe he benches 550 but I may be off on that.

anlgp likes this.
  17. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    thats not what he said. in an interview on ESPN (before the Texas-Oklahoma game i believe) he said that his game was speed rush. he used to be small for DE but was recruited because of his technique and quickness. Then he was told that he needed to get bigger to take on blockers and never stopped in the weight room. i agree he is pretty stiff, but he is very quick and very strong. i like him a lot if he were to be a 2007 Brady Quinn and fall to us.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Watch him on tape, he mixes it up but his primary move is the bulrush.

19. anlgp

Part of the reason why I didn't try to pick out who they would pick in the positions I think we need is because I don't watch enough tape or college football to know who's good at what position.

Of course, I'm no expert at figuring out what the team needs. Stats can be pretty revealing but they can also be misleading. It's easier for me to pick them apart then to take guesses on guys that haven't played a down in the NFL, though.

20. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    If they let Crowder walk then I think ILB becomes a first day priority. Nice write up and I am looking forward to the one you write up a fter FA and the combine :up:

anlgp likes this.
  21. anlgp

If I write one up for either of those two it will be after we pick up people in the FA pool. I doubt I'll do one after the combine because I don't quite know what I'm talking about in terms of what's good to look for and what's bad to look for for specific player positions; which is why I didn't list specific players at their positions.

I can further my opinion on the pieces after FA ends because I can cross off which positions they've filled, where I was wrong and where I feel they'll go next.

Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it :up:

22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It looks like Gap isnt worth banning after all!:up:

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I recall him being drafted in the 7th, but he was well known before the draft and most of the draft guides had him going around the 3rd or 4th. That he fell to the 7th, even on draft weekend, was a real head scratcher, but we see similar examples every year.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It depends on if we sign another ILB in free agency. We can figure out the draft direction much better, when besides seeing who leaves, also seeing which free agents are signed to replace them, if any.

anlgp likes this.
  25. Panther7

Panther7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I missed the Offensive Guide! Where is it?

26. anlgp