1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another running back on the horizon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jun 21, 2010.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Checkin it out bro thanks for the heads up

6-0 239..

damn that song is catchy.

3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Doubt it. Just doing their due dilligance so they're not caught sleeping.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    anything they (Parcells & Co.) actually say before the fact is in apposition w/ the truth.
    I think they have every intention of making a run @ him.
    we will only know after the decision is made to bring him aboard or not.
    there is a potential need & a probable fit. Harvey would be a great addition to the team

5. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I think right now we have too many RB's on the team for us to pick him up. Also I think he looks pretty slow accelerating. Maybe he could be more of a FB than a Full time RB.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    After this year running back, is a priority so I'm sure they will be looking at a bunch of them...

7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I thought he was being looked at more as a fullback, don't need a FB, but I am probably wrong. Don't see the need for a RB right now. Next season though. Would they redshirt him?

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm gonna have to politely decline. Nothing special to see here.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    As a football prospect, he fits what the Dolphins want in their players to a T. He's a big guy, built for the power run game at 6'0" and 237 lbs, which they appreciate. I'm not saying they don't appreciate the smaller guys that make big plays because they like some of those slash n dash types too, but they like big powerful guys a lot. Accusations of premarital sex notwithstanding, he's a high character guy and a hard worker.

But I can tell you right now the #1 most coveted aspect of his game, probably most of the reason they're in Provo or wherever he's doing his workout, is because of his durability. He's rushed for 1000+ in each of the last three season, and he's played in an astounding 38 of 39 possible games. That's remarkable for a running back, and the Dolphins know it's hard to find durability at that position.

When Bill Parcells has raised concerns about taking a running back high in the draft, his arguments have always centered on durability. If you look at some of the backs that they've liked in past drafts, that's the one commonality you'll find consistently. Here are a few:

1. Ray Rice - They liked him a lot, and they considered drafting him despite wanting to focus on other positions early in the 2008 draft. One of the biggest reasons had to be that over his final 3 years at Rutgers, he played in 38 of 38 games, not missing a single game due to injury.

2. Tim Hightower - There have been some very strong rumors that the Cardinals picked him up immediately before the Dolphins were able to in the 2008, that the Dolphins wanted him. He played in 38 of his final 38 games at Richmond.

3. C.J. Spiller - The Dolphins actually liked him. Why? Of course they loved the promise of big plays that he brought to the table, but that's not the compliment that Parcells publicly stated about him. It was his durability. Despite his size, he played in 39 of his last 40 games during his last 3 years at Clemson.

4. Jalen Parmele - They drafted him late in 2008. Why? In large part because he played in 35 of his last 36 games at Toledo.

5. Dexter McCluster - They also liked him. Though he suffered head, neck and shoulder injuries during his first year and a half at Ole Miss, he ended his college career by playing in 33 of his last 34 games.

6. Lex Hilliard - He obviously went through a big injury that scrapped him for the 2006 season. However, he played 14 of 15 games in 2004, 12 of 12 games in 2005, and after his 2006 ordeal he followed up by playing 11 of 12 games in 2007.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  10. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Kid is not getting past the Rams. They need someone behind Jackson bad.

11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Tough call

12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Just my two cents:

- Plays too high. Will get lit up in the NFL with that running style. Looks more like a TE than a RB with the ball.
    - Faster than he looks. Surprising acceleration to the corner.
    - Decent balance, but nothing special.
    - Would rather wiggle than use his size to bang heads. With his fair speed, he could do that in college. Doubt he could get to the corners in the NFL without changing the way he runs (i.e., bust some heads).

IF Miami is considering this guy, I think it would be more in the H-back role rather than a straight RB/FB. Chris Cooley makes a damn good living doing it (and he does it well). He could conceivably come in an emergency role to fill in at FB or RB, but I do not see a 5th for him in '11 unless they really see him contributing decent time (including STs).

I just do not see anything special. I thought Miami would go in the way of a Gerhart, but they decided otherwise. I just do not want Miami to spend a 5th for him.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he's got MiamiBillParcells written all over him & will be a fit