1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Anime watchers in the house?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Silverphin, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just started watching Sword Art Online on Netflix yesterday, and I want to know - anyone else watches anime?

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do.

Silverphin likes this.
  3. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Sweet!

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    My teenager does and I sit and watch with em sometimes. They all have that annoying edge to them, but a few of them have cool stories. Attack on Titan has a cool story and is worth watching.

Bob Danger and Silverphin like this.
  5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I've seen my fair share. I'm a bit of a fan. But the field is wide. Are you looking for recommendations?

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I watch my fair share. In the middle of Fate/Zero right now.

7. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Sword Art Online is pretty good. Personally I think it peaks in the first story arc. I also liked Knights of Sidonia because it has that great Macross / Battlestar Galatica feel to it.

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Have not watched SOA, but I enjoyed Accel World which was by the same author.

Season 1 of KoS was ok, but I did not care for Season 2 nearly as much.

If you can, watch Pshyco-Pass and Darker than Black. Like Ohio Fanatic said, I think Attack on Titan is really good as well.

As for Macross, I wish Harmony Gold didn't exist so we could actually get stuff. At least there's Gundam stuff (though Unicorn is the most recent of what I have).

9. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    i'll check out Psycho Pass and Darker than Black.

I read more manga than I watch anime, and the adage of the book is better certainly holds true in regards to KoS. The series has actually ended, so it's probably worth it to blow through it in a weekend. Fair warning, it ends abruptly. I haven't watched Attack on Titan because I read the manga. Same with One Punch Man and Seven Deadly Sins.

Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are also recommended for the sheer absurdity.

Stitches and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I enjoyed the first half of Sword Art Online. However, I am someone who loves the anime genre of normal person transported to game world. I loved .Hack, even though the music was better than the story. I really enjoyed the video game arc of Hunter X Hunter.

I absolutely love Log Horizon, because it is one of the best representations of what would actually happen if people were transported into a game and the game rules still make sense. Re:Zero is so good because it explores the psychological effects of dying and respawning at a save spot. Even though it is only 13 episodes, I enjoyed Overlord and wish they would finish the tale, as I especially enjoy the perspective of the bad guy. Konosuba is pretty funny. 12 Kingdoms was one of my favorites when I first started getting into anime.

Heck, I even like the reverse of The Devil is a Part-Timer! I wish they would finish that one as well. I guess I just enjoy fish out of water stories.

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Loved Gurren Lagann (anime) and Kill la Kill (manga). Very enjoyable.

I'm also reading a lot more manga and manwha than watching anime recently. That led me to two light novels "Tales of Demons and Gods" and "The New Gate". I think Dupree would like the latter a lot based on what he said regarding being transported to a game world.

Edit: I am mixing Kill la Kill up with Akame ga Kill.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :yes:

No Game, No Life is awesome too imo, though it is short because they want you to read the manga/light novels.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Overlord is the same.

Silverphin likes this.
  14. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Some older ones worth a look:

'Samurai Seven' - a sort of futuristic/dystopian/mecha retelling of the story from the classic Kurosawa movie The Samurai Seven. After retelling that story it then continues on the story under its own imaginings.

'Rurouni Kenshin' - Far lighter than the ones mentioned so far, and older, but one of the all time greats and possibly my all time favourite series. I read the manga, but the anime was also decent. It's historical/samurai genre with some of the best story in anime (although if you don't like historical/samurai/with light humor and 'romantic' story telling) you might not like it. Everyone should give themselves a chance with that one, though.

Also historical/samurai - Sword of the Stanger. It's a movie, not a series. But if you like samurai/action stuff watch it. Some of the best samurai action animation in existence. And overall just a good anime movie.

Try 'Aldnoah.Zero' for a recent mecha anime. Two season. A third doesn't seem likely, but was an enjoyable watch.

Or again, a bit different, 'Suisei no Gargantia' - futuristic mecha with a twist, don't spoil it by reading ahead. Lighter stuff but worth a watch.

'Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex'. It's heresy but I didn't like the movie as much as the series, so I'd skip the movie since the series takes on a different continuity anyway. The movie is getting a live-action movie release soon with Scarlett Johansson in the lead.

Slice of life stuff worth a look - 'Silver Spoon'. Premise sounds a bit uninteresting but it's a great series. Two seasons. Then they did a movie I haven't seen.

Also 'Hyouka' - slice of life/mystery. School kids solving puzzles/mysteries. Unique but good.

Then of course there's the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff. I don't like all their stuff but you'd do yourself an injustice if you didn't at least check out a few. Despite very similar animation style across all the films there's quite a bit of variety in the themes/genre.
    I didn't so much enjoy the ones everyone normally raves about - Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc. Instead, two favourites are 'Whisper of the Heart' (slice of life/romantic), and 'Only Yesterday' (slice of life). 'My Neighbour Totoro' is iconic and a fun film. I also enjoyed 'Porco Rosso' as a fantasy twist set in a classic Humphrey Bogart era/setting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Silverphin likes this.
  15. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Good thing I checked this thread, because I just finished the Sword Art Online anime yesterday.

16. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Edited the big post for typos.

17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Knights of Sidonia was solid, second that recommendation, as well as the old-school Rurouni Kenshin.

Also, have to add the obligatory Cowboy Bebop reference - if you haven't see it, it is one of my favorites.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece.

texanphinatic likes this.
  19. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Big time anime watcher, I have a sub with CrunchyRoll. If anyone wants a free 48-Hour Premium+ Guest Pass, PM with your email address. I have 4 left, first come, first serve.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Saga of Tanya the Evil is so much fun. I am loving this anime.

If you watch this one, make sure to at least give it 2 episodes.

21. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    If you guys like SAO, then there is even a better one. Get ready for the devil in glasses, Log Horizon.

Ace of the Diamond is an awesome baseball series based on high schoolers trying to get to Koeshin in JP.

Fantasy comedy:
    KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world!

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I love Log Horizon.

Konosubo is very funny

23. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I feel the same way!

24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Anyone else do the new, finale season of Samurai Jack?

25. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hey guys, since we have so many avid anime watchers, I wanted to throw out a question.

I can't remember the name of a show that I watched as a kid, and haven't been able to find any clues looking online. From what I remember its:

-An Anime that aired in the US in the mid 80s. Likely slightly older than that. It was probably only on for a couple of years.
    -The animation style is very similar to Robotech
    -The show featured three pilots of ships which could combine when needed into one, super powerful mega ship
    -The pilots were two younger guys and one who was older, and heavy with dark hair and maybe a mustache
    -The ships were different colors, I believe yellow, white and black, and had different strengths and abilities
    -Each episode features this cool, very technically detailed sequence with the ships transforming and latching onto one another.

-I am 99% certain that they do not combine into a robot, Voltron-style. Just a bigger ship.
    -I'm pretty sure that the show takes place on and above Earth, or an Earthlike planet, and not in outer space
    -I'm pretty sure that when they aren't in their individual ships, they're docked on this massive flying ship/carrier where they live

So, any ideas? Its been bugging me for years and when I saw this thread, I thought I'd give it a shot.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I was reincarnated as a slime is one of the most delightful animes I have watched

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Reading the manga, haven't seen the anime, but it's good.

28. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Akira is a very good movie and Afro Samurai is both a short series and movie. Both worth watching.

And Samurai Jack is God. It is so original. Must see

I believe Battleship Yamamoto is a series. I haven't seen it but they made it into a live action movie. One of the best sci fi movies you will ever see

29. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

This?

EDIT:

This one!? Getter Robo G:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thank you for the ideas, but no. In this show, they didn't combine to form a robot, but rather just a bigger ship. And I think that the animation was a little bit "newer" also. Those clips look like they're from the 70s (to my eye at least) and this show looked more like a contemporary to GI Joe or Transformers.

31. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    The bottom one had the robot but otherwise had the three main characters matching your descriptions.... seemed to be most likely.
    There were several versions of Getter Robo. Maybe it was a later one?

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Very possibly. I'm not an expert or anything close. I found a thread online in an anime forum that suggested the same show when someone else had asked a question very similar to mine, but thats not the one I was thinking of. But hey, when you're talking about TV shows from more than 30 years ago, its not going to be easy. Especially if its not one of the most popular ones.

33. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Back in the late 90's/early 2000's when DVD burners first came out, I got a Blockbuster mail subscription and ordered EVERYTHING for a good 5-6 years. We have huge CD books full of movies that I honestly want to get rid of due to today's piracy laws.

Anyway, someone I worked with found out what I was doing and he was a HUGE anime fan. Almost every single day, he was like, "Can you order this from BlockBuster? What about Nexflix? I'll pay for both subscriptions for you and buy all your DVD's if you'll get me anime as it comes out." Of course I said yes because why not?

I probably burned his discs for two months before I finally got curious, and I actually watched a good bit of one of his favorite series (can't remember the name, this was a long time ago). I won't say I liked it but I did keep watching them...so I guess I'm sort of a fan. There's such a huge variety though!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  34. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I don't watch Anime regularly, but I really enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and have the bluray of the complete series. Other than that, I enjoyed Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and the Gundam shows/movies back when they were on Cartoon Network. Princess Mononoke was also fantastic.