1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Aquarium Keepers Here?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Galant, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity Staff Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I started keeping fish (freshwater) when I was a teenager but gave it up when I went to college.

Recently, quite some years later, I've started again with what's been a fun family project.

Might have a second one on the way soon too.

Just wondering if there's anyone else on here who keeps fish and would enjoy talking fish keeping?

2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I have a 5 gallon tank on my desk in the office. Right now it only has a single goldfish in it but I do love aquariums. I wish I had the time and money for a bigger setup and more exotic fish.

Galant likes this.
  3. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Many years ago I had a friend who had 3 or 4 connected fish tanks set up like a Super Mario game. All the scenery in the tank was 8 bit art and he had green pipes interconnecting the tanks. iirc each tank was set up to look like a different Mario level.

Galant likes this.
  4. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I was able to get this one going on a budget by waiting for local deals/ second-hand. There are usually people getting out of the hobby who need the space. If you have the patience you can gather what you need cheaply until ready to go.

Then the challenge is deciding what sort of set up to build. So many awesome ideas, one tank might not be enough!

A fun small build through is a dwarf/ pea puffer tank. Loads of personality. Usually kept in small groups with lots of cover or by themselves.

I've got a 25 gallon right now which I'm slowly stocking. Went for se Asian species and some hardy plants because I wanted to go for a natural planted look.

Really enjoying it.

5. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    That's awesome! Aquariums offer an surprising opportunity for creativity.

Really cool idea.

6. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    It was really cool. I’ve lost touch with him but he was spending a lot of time trying to design a vertical connecting tank, not the horizontal connections, for the full Mario experience.

7. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    South Florida
    Spent probably 10 years in the hobby keeping and working at a saltwater aquarium store. Really miss having a tank, but don't miss the money and time sink.

8. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    It's true, if you're not careful the bits and pieces can really start to add up.

I'm trying to very carefully limit myself and keep my aspirations in check.

And my choice to go freshwater was influenced by the cost of marine, even in just the initial setup. Everything just costs more.... and that's even with me being in the unique situation where I have a constant supply of sea-water available on tap!

9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I used to have multiple freshwater tanks and don't miss it- it's a pain keeping up with everything. It was neat when the kids were young but eventually, nobody cares and it just becomes a time-sink and/or a money pit.