Any Dolphins Not NFL Caliber Starters?

22 replies

SOSouthbeachNew MemberOP
Nov 5, 2010, 01:50 PM

I regrettably recall having this discussion a few short years ago. I had to admit that we had starters who would not be starting for any other NFL team. Now, although a few upgrades would be nice, that number is 0.

To go to the next step. How many Phins starters are below average in your minds. Take youth into consideration if ya like. Average would be a player you think is somewhere roughly between # 14 to #18 compared to others playing his position.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 01:54 PM

I think this is the best team we have had in years with alot of young players that hold promise. There's noone I would say isn't up to starting on other teams but there are players I would like to see gone on our roster like Benny Sapp.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Nov 5, 2010, 01:57 PM

Hartline and Fasano struggle to be starters on other teams.

ditto Berger/McQuistan.

Henne is right now an average starter.

Defensively we're pretty good, but guys like Misi/Clemons/S. smith wouldn't start on a ton of other teams.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 01:57 PM

anthony fasano. serviceable but below average. mcquistan/ jerry for now but they are both improving so we'll see. and thats about it



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

MOmommabillyNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:01 PM

I think Berger would start on a lot of NFL Teams. Not sure about McQuistan but to be honest, the guy was banging some Bengals around the field nicely last Sunday.

I don't know, they are all more then I could ever dream to be so I cannot answer this question.

http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif

JimTossJimTossForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 02:09 PM

I am gonna get absolutely killed but by your definition an "average" player is 14-18 in the NFL.
I would argue Ronnie Brown is right around that.
Now before this turns into a bashing, here are the RB's I believe are superior to Ronnie. No specific order.

Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
MJD
Ray Rice
Jamaal Charles
Arian Foster
Darren McFadden
Ahmad Bradshaw
Mike Turner
Rashad Mendenhall
DeAngelo Williams
Johnathan Stewart
Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush (When either are healthy)

I have listed 15, but I believe arguments could be made for a few others. (Addai, Grant, Best, Forte)

Just as a caveat, I am still a big Ronnie fan, just want to face the facts.

Henne is flirting in this same range.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:16 PM

Berger, McQuistan, Jerry, Smith & Sapp are all below average starters and in that order

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

fragsfragsNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:19 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

I think this is the best team we have had in years with alot of young players that hold promise. There's noone I would say isn't up to starting on other teams but there are players I would like to see gone on our roster like Benny Sapp.

I liked Benny Sapp's play last weekend. He seems to be coming along, lets see if it continues.

fragsfragsNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:22 PM

In terms of who starts or not, I think its all opportunity. These days, because of the injuries the Ravens have had at CB, Sean Smith could easily start. Things have gotten better for them in terms of health compared to Offseason/TC when Fabian, Carr, etc all went down. In the end, luck plays into a lot of things, I suppose, but I would be hard pressed to find any player that cannot start...the difference is how well they do :up:

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:26 PM

this up-coming game will tell us a lot about what changes need to be made, who's a keeper & who is not and how the rest of the season will go

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:26 PM

"frags wrote:

In terms of who starts or not, I think its all opportunity. These days, because of the injuries the Ravens have had at CB, Sean Smith could easily start. Things have gotten better for them in terms of health compared to Offseason/TC when Fabian, Carr, etc all went down. In the end, luck plays into a lot of things, I suppose, but I would be hard pressed to find any player that cannot start...the difference is how well they do :up:

That was the reason for the follow up question of Who is a below average starter?

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 02:42 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

Berger, McQuistan, Jerry, Smith & Sapp are all below average starters and in that order


So you are saying Benny Sapp is better than Sean Smith? No.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 02:45 PM

Jake Long. That guy will never be an elite LT

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 02:48 PM

"finsincebirth wrote:

Jake Long. That guy will never be an elite LT


Yea that guy is ****ing clown shoes.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

ARarsenalNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:54 PM

Benny Sapp is our nickel guy, not technically a starter... but either way name me 15 nickel corners who are better? can people here even name me 15 other nickel's?

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 02:55 PM

"arsenal wrote:

Benny Sapp is our nickel guy, not technically a starter... but either way name me 15 nickel corners who are better? can people here even name me 15 other nickel's?

Will Allen for sure.....damn IR:up:

Our ST's have several unworthy guys

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 03:00 PM

I don't think Sapp is a bad nickel back, I believe he's a top five nickelback in the NFL personally. I think we just seen a superior player in Hines Ward own Sapp because the Steelers put Ward in motion A LOT.

As far as the question goes, I would say Jerry and McQuistan mainly. You could throw Hartline in there too but the jury isn't out for any of these players IMO.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 03:04 PM

"frags wrote:

I liked Benny Sapp's play last weekend. He seems to be coming along, lets see if it continues.

Yeah, I've been calling for Sapp's head of late but, he did show me something last week. I've been preaching patience with our team, and have to give him a bit. He earned it.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 03:06 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

I don't think Sapp is a bad nickel back, I believe he's a top five nickelback in the NFL personally. I think we just seen a superior player in Hines Ward own Sapp because the Steelers put Ward in motion A LOT.

As far as the question goes, I would say Jerry and McQuistan mainly. You could throw Hartline in there too but the jury isn't out for any of these players IMO.


All of them are still young.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 03:08 PM

"arsenal wrote:

Benny Sapp is our nickel guy, not technically a starter... but either way name me 15 nickel corners who are better? can people here even name me 15 other nickel's?

Can't do it. I also can't name 15 slot receivers but, know that Bess Is Best. I agree to hold off on any more picking on Sapp, for now.

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 03:13 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

I don't think Sapp is a bad nickel back, I believe he's a top five nickelback in the NFL personally. I think we just seen a superior player in Hines Ward own Sapp because the Steelers put Ward in motion A LOT.

As far as the question goes, I would say Jerry and McQuistan mainly. You could throw Hartline in there too but the jury isn't out for any of these players IMO.

I don't pick on typo's but, do believe you meant the jury IS out on Jerry and Hartline, and I do agree.

R&R_ExpressR&R_ExpressNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 03:14 PM

McQuistan and sapp werent brought in to be starters, they only start due to injuries, so those shouldnt count towards your conversation

www.surgedigitaldesign.com
Low Cost Custom Websites and Graphics

SOSouthbeachNew Member
Nov 5, 2010, 03:21 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

anthony fasano. serviceable but below average. mcquistan/ jerry for now but they are both improving so we'll see. and thats about it

I agree and disagree on Fasano. When we traded for him, I actually thought he had Pro Bowl talent. Has not happened. However, he did one hell of a job in blocking, and don't know if it's the system or him. I tend to think the system.

Jerry's jury is still out. I do like him. As you say, he is a rookie.