1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Dolphins Not NFL Caliber Starters?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I regrettably recall having this discussion a few short years ago. I had to admit that we had starters who would not be starting for any other NFL team. Now, although a few upgrades would be nice, that number is 0.

To go to the next step. How many Phins starters are below average in your minds. Take youth into consideration if ya like. Average would be a player you think is somewhere roughly between # 14 to #18 compared to others playing his position.

2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I think this is the best team we have had in years with alot of young players that hold promise. There's noone I would say isn't up to starting on other teams but there are players I would like to see gone on our roster like Benny Sapp.

3. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Hartline and Fasano struggle to be starters on other teams.

ditto Berger/McQuistan.

Henne is right now an average starter.

Defensively we're pretty good, but guys like Misi/Clemons/S. smith wouldn't start on a ton of other teams.

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    anthony fasano. serviceable but below average. mcquistan/ jerry for now but they are both improving so we'll see. and thats about it

5. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I think Berger would start on a lot of NFL Teams. Not sure about McQuistan but to be honest, the guy was banging some Bengals around the field nicely last Sunday.

I don't know, they are all more then I could ever dream to be so I cannot answer this question.

6. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I am gonna get absolutely killed but by your definition an "average" player is 14-18 in the NFL.
    I would argue Ronnie Brown is right around that.
    Now before this turns into a bashing, here are the RB's I believe are superior to Ronnie. No specific order.

Adrian Peterson
    Chris Johnson
    Steven Jackson
    Frank Gore
    MJD
    Ray Rice
    Jamaal Charles
    Arian Foster
    Darren McFadden
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Mike Turner
    Rashad Mendenhall
    DeAngelo Williams
    Johnathan Stewart
    Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush (When either are healthy)

I have listed 15, but I believe arguments could be made for a few others. (Addai, Grant, Best, Forte)

Just as a caveat, I am still a big Ronnie fan, just want to face the facts.

Henne is flirting in this same range.

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Berger, McQuistan, Jerry, Smith & Sapp are all below average starters and in that order

8. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    I liked Benny Sapp's play last weekend. He seems to be coming along, lets see if it continues.

9. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    In terms of who starts or not, I think its all opportunity. These days, because of the injuries the Ravens have had at CB, Sean Smith could easily start. Things have gotten better for them in terms of health compared to Offseason/TC when Fabian, Carr, etc all went down. In the end, luck plays into a lot of things, I suppose, but I would be hard pressed to find any player that cannot start...the difference is how well they do :up:

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this up-coming game will tell us a lot about what changes need to be made, who's a keeper & who is not and how the rest of the season will go

HULKFish likes this.
  11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That was the reason for the follow up question of Who is a below average starter?

12. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    So you are saying Benny Sapp is better than Sean Smith? No.

13. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Jake Long. That guy will never be an elite LT

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  14. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Yea that guy is ****ing clown shoes.

15. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    Benny Sapp is our nickel guy, not technically a starter... but either way name me 15 nickel corners who are better? can people here even name me 15 other nickel's?

16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Will Allen for sure.....damn IR:up:

Our ST's have several unworthy guys

17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't think Sapp is a bad nickel back, I believe he's a top five nickelback in the NFL personally. I think we just seen a superior player in Hines Ward own Sapp because the Steelers put Ward in motion A LOT.

As far as the question goes, I would say Jerry and McQuistan mainly. You could throw Hartline in there too but the jury isn't out for any of these players IMO.

unluckyluciano, Southbeach and alen1 like this.
  18. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, I've been calling for Sapp's head of late but, he did show me something last week. I've been preaching patience with our team, and have to give him a bit. He earned it.

19. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    All of them are still young.

20. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Can't do it. I also can't name 15 slot receivers but, know that Bess Is Best. I agree to hold off on any more picking on Sapp, for now.

21. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I don't pick on typo's but, do believe you meant the jury IS out on Jerry and Hartline, and I do agree.

22. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    McQuistan and sapp werent brought in to be starters, they only start due to injuries, so those shouldnt count towards your conversation

23. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I agree and disagree on Fasano. When we traded for him, I actually thought he had Pro Bowl talent. Has not happened. However, he did one hell of a job in blocking, and don't know if it's the system or him. I tend to think the system.

Jerry's jury is still out. I do like him. As you say, he is a rookie.